M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i & 840d LOVE CARS VIDEO - TIFF NEEDELL review

12-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
bmcginn53
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera Turbo

One quick question, how many individuals posting on this thread have driven the 850i or have seen it in person? If you haven’t driven it yet you need to do that before you trash the car. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the car and have driven it. I probably haven’t spent as much time as Tiff and I clearly don’t have his driving acumen and automotive pedigree, but BMW has come up with a winner...and a far superior car the the 6 series. I was on the verge of buying a DB11 Coupe, but am now going to buy either the M8 or 850i. Does this car have the aura of an Aston Martin, of course not. But it’s a really freaking great looking and driving car that’s half the price of the DB11, has zero annual maintenance costs, and I’ll let any valet park it.
Appreciate 5
GuyOh1064.00
babaikram511.50
spansar50.50
H.I.T409.50
khailuan110.50
      12-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #24
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcginn53 View Post
One quick question, how many individuals posting on this thread have driven the 850i or have seen it in person? If you haven't driven it yet you need to do that before you trash the car. I've spent a fair amount of time in the car and have driven it. I probably haven't spent as much time as Tiff and I clearly don't have his driving acumen and automotive pedigree, but BMW has come up with a winner...and a far superior car the the 6 series. I was on the verge of buying a DB11 Coupe, but am now going to buy either the M8 or 850i. Does this car have the aura of an Aston Martin, of course not. But it's a really freaking great looking and driving car that's half the price of the DB11, has zero annual maintenance costs, and I'll let any valet park it.
Could not express the same any better. M8 and especially upcoming Gran Coupe version make DB11 a purely emotional purchasing decision. These cars are indeed attractive choices at half the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

It's a first impression drive so you're not gonna get much from him. Besides. It's a GT as well so as long as it's smooth, pretty and super comfortable, which I'm sure it delivers in droves, this video is spot on. If it's a comparison, and there are other cars in the mix to get some perspective on a race track and skid pad, he would give his normal opinion. Especially so which if driving excitement is the deciding factor between first and second place.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #26
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
You forgot to add "buy them", "drive them" and "pay hard earned money for them" to your list. Criticism when due is healthy and productive. Maybe you think the 8 is beyond criticism of any kind? Is any car? Is any thing?
I don't read a lot of constructive criticism on this forum. (How can I? None have you nave bloody driven it.) I do read a lot of childish, slanging shite, though.

For those who think that Needell is a paid reviewer, I guess that's needed to counteract the paid trolling children from the competition here...!

Last edited by ScottAndrew; 12-15-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #27
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
Agreed. And this is about introducing the car and first impressions, not a hardcore review against the competition. I don't believe Tiff would ever say he liked a car that he actually didn't.
He has always been a BMW fan, so if you're looking for pure objectivity which you'll never get from a human being, you have to filter that out. Also, if you're a typical Bimmerpost forum member, i.e. you fucking loathe BMW and everything it makes, you'll be lookin' for hatred and intolerance - so you'll have to just assume he's gettin' paid, and everything around you can fit your safe-space worldview.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #28
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Quote:
Agreed. And this is about introducing the car and first impressions, not a hardcore review against the competition. I don't believe Tiff would ever say he liked a car that he actually didn't.
He has always been a BMW fan, so if you're looking for pure objectivity which you'll never get from a human being, you have to filter that out. Also, if you're a typical Bimmerpost forum member, i.e. you fucking loathe BMW and everything it makes, you'll be lookin' for hatred and intolerance - so you'll have to just assume he's gettin' paid, and everything around you can fit your safe-space worldview.
How did you get safe space world view from my comment? I was agreeing that the criticism of his review is unfair.
      12-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

Quote:
One quick question, how many individuals posting on this thread have driven the 850i or have seen it in person? If you haven’t driven it yet you need to do that before you trash the car. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the car and have driven it. I probably haven’t spent as much time as Tiff and I clearly don’t have his driving acumen and automotive pedigree, but BMW has come up with a winner...and a far superior car the the 6 series. I was on the verge of buying a DB11 Coupe, but am now going to buy either the M8 or 850i. Does this car have the aura of an Aston Martin, of course not. But it’s a really freaking great looking and driving car that’s half the price of the DB11, has zero annual maintenance costs, and I’ll let any valet park it.
Explain to me how "far better" the new 8-series is vs. the old 6-series?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #30
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
Explain to me how "far better" the new 8-series is vs. the old 6-series?
The look alone is enough. They are not in the same league in this department. The 6 serious interior is already outdated compared to even 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #31
Tejael
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2022 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
So he's only a real journalist if he doesn't like the car? If he hated it, he's real, but because he liked it, it must be marketing BS. Gotcha.

I honestly don't know why some of you are even on here, or why you buy/own BMW's - it's like you WANT BMW to fail every time they do something.
amen always hate
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:48 PM   #32
spansar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M320d, CANCELLED G42 M240i

I liked the review. Some of us can't afford one or have the opportunity to be a motoring journalist. Hell, and no one makes a decision on buying a car just by watching a review on You Tube! You need to feel it for yourself. These videos are there to wet your appetite and go out and test drive one for yourself
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #33
bmcginn53
United_States
Rep

I had a 2006 M6 with a 10 cylinder engine that got 9mpg and the worst transmission of any car I’ve ever owned. The ride was ok and the look was passable. I think I paid around $100k for it. The 850i I drove was around $117k for a 2018 car with better looks, better engine and transmission, and better technology.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #34
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
How did you get safe space world view from my comment? I was agreeing that the criticism of his review is unfair.
My apologies - I wasn’t referring to you in particular, I was referring in general to the children and paid trolls who shit this forum like a nurseryful of incontinent babies. Not you in particular - just the mouth-breathers who can’t abide by an informed opinion that contradicts their hate-fuelled prejudice - and they know it
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:16 AM   #35
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

This made me nauseous.

Journalism is not the same as product placement. This was 💯 infomercial material. Mostly likely shot, edited and produced by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:19 AM   #36
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

It’s a beautiful car and should stand on its own merits.

No need for these cheesy marketing ploys posing as auto journalism.

This is essentially the journalistic equivalent of an op-Ed piece, where the author is highly favorable of the product (and possibly even paid by the producer). Not at all objective.

Do you have any idea how corrupt this is? Imagine your doctor prescribing a medication solely due to the fact that the drug company put him up in luxury spa resort, gave him free samples and a sales kickback.

Oh shit, never mind. That already happens too.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #37
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
It’s a beautiful car and should stand on its own merits.

No need for these cheesy marketing ploys posing as auto journalism.

This is essentially the journalistic equivalent of an op-Ed piece, where the author is highly favorable of the product (and possibly even paid by the producer). Not at all objective.

Do you have any idea how corrupt this is?
Sure. It's about as corrupt as this forum, and its paid trolls masquerading as "enthusiasts". It's fight and a race to the bottom, all in one.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #38
bmcginn53
United_States
Rep

So I watched the review again. I have no idea what the vitriol is about. It’s informative, entertaining, and fun...time to enjoy it and move on. I also think we need to keep in mind that a car like the 850i is a compromise. It’s a GT (not a track car), it has a back seat (but it’s useless), the exterior looks great and the interior is terrific (but there may be things that certain individuals don’t like). For $120k I think it’s a terrific car...others may disagree but that’s what makes markets.
Appreciate 1
Wing Co239.00
      12-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #39
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Sure. It's about as corrupt as this forum, and its paid trolls masquerading as "enthusiasts". It's fight and a race to the bottom, all in one.
Weak!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #40
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
So he's only a real journalist if he doesn't like the car? If he hated it, he's real, but because he liked it, it must be marketing BS. Gotcha.

I honestly don't know why some of you are even on here, or why you buy/own BMW's - it's like you WANT BMW to fail every time they do something.
Well maybe BMW shouldn't have given us so many reasons since 2009 to keep shitting on them?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #41
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

The issue here is not so much the allegedly overly positive substance of the review, as this doesn't prove per se that the reviewers' judgment is necessarily biased or even paid for by BMW. The car potentially might well be that good, claiming otherwise without having test-driven it ourselves would be irrelevant.

The issue is that it's simply a very poor actual review at all. Quite a few inaccuracies about the tech / data / non-driving aspects, okay no big deal as long as the driving aspects are reviewed in depth... After all Tiff is an outstanding driver with racing credentials and hey, maybe he just doesn't want to bother too much with the rest... Well how disapppointing to see that, aside from a few comments about acceleration and suspension comfort, we hardly get any specific feedback on the car's actual driving dynamics, how accurate the steering feel is, exactly how the car behaves in a corner, to what extent you can steer it with the throttle, how agile it is on a twisty road, what about understeer, etc. i.e. a detailed driving review along the lines of what Chris Harris or Steve Sutcliffe are doing on a regular basis.

This lack of accurate feedback about the actual driving dynamics is what's disappointing from a driver of Tiff's caliber. Hence why the very first assumption (that the car might well be as good as the reviewers claim), though possible, unfortunately loses credibility because it's not properly backed up. Add in the quite amateuristic approach and specifically the lack of rigor in reporting accurate technical data in favor of a general message that 'it's just great', and you get many people jumping to the conclusion that the review must at least be biased because the driver just loves them BMWs too much to bother providing accurate details, or even has been paid by BMW. However given the amount of inaccuracies they let slip through, I'm inclined to believe that precisely there is no way BMW paid for this review, rather the reviewers for some reason just didn't want to go through the trouble of formulating a more in-depth judgment, may be laziness or may just be the deliberately mainstream / entertainment policy of the given media they work for.

Last edited by advantage20; 12-16-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Darth One6612.50
      12-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

If you are paid by BMW, you'll obviously only touch on the positives. Not so hard to understand, right? What's posted on Youtube these days are hardly "reviews" anymore. They are videos, shot at cute angles where merely features are touched upon. You want a review? Go drive it yourself. It's all that matters.

In the end, I highly doubt ANYONE has ever bought a care purely because a Youtuber gave it the thumbs up.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #43
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I had a 2006 M6 with a 10 cylinder engine that got 9mpg and the worst transmission of any car I’ve ever owned. The ride was ok and the look was passable. I think I paid around $100k for it. The 850i I drove was around $117k for a 2018 car with better looks, better engine and transmission, and better technology.
It better be. We are talking 12 years in between them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #44
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Interesting thoughts here...