M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Aftermarket Stereo solutions.

08-15-2022, 10:57 AM   #67
hersh67
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M8GC

I've come to accept the HK audio for what it is. And yes, you have to play with the EQ if audio quality is important to you. I'm the type who needs a clear separation between highs and lows. So i pretty much used the same EQ setting from my old M5's B&W. See pic. Still waiting for the speakers to fully break in, before deciding on any driver upgrades. But for now, i can safely say i feel somewhat satisfied (not overall).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
hinckley3492.50
M8Bimmer1272.50
      08-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #68
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
For anyone considering upgrading, it's worth taking a good amount of time to setup the HK properly with the equaliser - and turning off the stupid Logic7 function. While it's no means perfect, it makes a huge difference and to my now sounds pretty decent. Happy to share my settings (clearly it will make a difference if you have a very different music taste!).
As mentioned earlier in the thread defeating the DSP on the HK is absolutely step #1. Did that in my wife's X5 when configuring it and makes a serious improvement to the overall sound.

Quote:
Strangely, I was considering putting my G15 in p/x for a GC, and the one I was looking at had the B&W. I spent a good 40 mins playing around with it, and it's nowhere near worth the £/$3k that BMW are charging for it - in the UK you have to specify the Tech Plus Pack, which is £6k, albeit with some other good options in there. Unless you're particularly bothered by the aesthetics of the B&W - and granted it looks bloody good in the cabin, you could spend half of what it costs on a good aftermarket upgrade, and it will blow the B&W system out of the water.
Agreed on the aftermarket but at least here in the US one would end up spending well north of $1500 to do so. That a bummer they "bundle" the B&W in the UK tech package.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #69
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Ok here we go ... Im horrible at audio delving (like what is probably going on here) as all I do is connect my phone and adjust the settings. I have a good system in the M8 and actually the M3 too but the coupe Im looking at does not have BW.

Since Im not an audiophile and I dont like to read the last three pages, can one of you SME's tell me that the base set up is not too bad? I think my G80 is base in nature as there is no upgrade option.
The stock HK in the coupe will get the job done. Just defeat the Logic 7, set the bass, midrange and treble to your desire and enjoy.
Appreciate 2
Vic5519365.00
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #70
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
For anyone considering upgrading, it's worth taking a good amount of time to setup the HK properly with the equaliser - and turning off the stupid Logic7 function. While it's no means perfect, it makes a huge difference and to my now sounds pretty decent. Happy to share my settings (clearly it will make a difference if you have a very different music taste!).
As mentioned earlier in the thread defeating the DSP on the HK is absolutely step #1. Did that in my wife's X5 when configuring it and makes a serious improvement to the overall sound.

Quote:
Strangely, I was considering putting my G15 in p/x for a GC, and the one I was looking at had the B&W. I spent a good 40 mins playing around with it, and it's nowhere near worth the £/$3k that BMW are charging for it - in the UK you have to specify the Tech Plus Pack, which is £6k, albeit with some other good options in there. Unless you're particularly bothered by the aesthetics of the B&W - and granted it looks bloody good in the cabin, you could spend half of what it costs on a good aftermarket upgrade, and it will blow the B&W system out of the water.
Agreed on the aftermarket but at least here in the US one would end up spending well north of $1500 to do so. That a bummer they "bundle" the B&W in the UK tech package.
Yeah everything here is bundled into packages now, it's to do with the WLTP economy testing guidelines as every configuration needs to be tested for accurate results, but equally an opportunity for BMW to make some margin! It's irritating, as all I'd want from that pack is Driving Asst Pro - again that can't be specified on its own (I digress!).

I'm wondering - whether or not the B&W equipped cars can have the soundstage coded out (I'm assuming it's possible as it can be coded onto cars with HK). One of my annoyances with the B&W I found was no matter which setting you chose, there always seemed to be an artificiality to the sound - wonder if you could effectively switch it off by just coding out the B&W from the car. Its major advantage I found over the HK was the clarity at higher volumes, that's where the HK falls apart and starts to distort badly. If I end up keeping my car longer term I will definitely be upgrading it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:45 PM   #71
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I would like to add something.

If you loves to stream audio. Make sure that you are connected to the car via wire.
Audio quality via bluetooth is the worst. Bluetooth will compress the audio during transmission and will create some distortion.
Got customer that complained after speakers upgrade and I connect the phone to the car via cable and with same song, distortion was fixed.
I even tested the car with FLAC audio on USB which is much2 better.

M8Bimmer It is hard to calculate the dimension because BMW uses the chassis cavity as woofer's enclosure.
The underseat woofer is mounted to a plastic box with a port that is connected to the side chassis cavity.
This is an improvement since older F-Chassis.

Lastly, what I've also noticed, the HK speakers quality on today BMW are different than the early F-Chassis HK.
I wish I have some pictures, but I do remember that the HK coming off from my F06 650GC is different than what comes off my G-chassis BMWs (G30 540, F97 X3MC, and G05 X5) or any newer BMW that I've worked on.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #72
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah everything here is bundled into packages now, it's to do with the WLTP economy testing guidelines as every configuration needs to be tested for accurate results, but equally an opportunity for BMW to make some margin! It's irritating, as all I'd want from that pack is Driving Asst Pro - again that can't be specified on its own (I digress!).
Now that blows even more as Driving Assistant Pro is incredibly useful on long highway drives and even stop/go traffic at times in the city. $1700 standalone option in the NA market and worth every penny.

Quote:
I'm wondering - whether or not the B&W equipped cars can have the soundstage coded out (I'm assuming it's possible as it can be coded onto cars with HK). One of my annoyances with the B&W I found was no matter which setting you chose, there always seemed to be an artificiality to the sound - wonder if you could effectively switch it off by just coding out the B&W from the car. Its major advantage I found over the HK was the clarity at higher volumes, that's where the HK falls apart and starts to distort badly. If I end up keeping my car longer term I will definitely be upgrading it.
I wish there is a way to defeat the DSP for the B&W. My only complaint with it but have found through extensive testing "concert" is the best sound profile above 20% volume and "studio" below that (when the wife is in the car). I live on 40% plus and the clarity plus absolutely tight accurate bass is glorious.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      08-15-2022, 02:05 PM   #73
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I would like to add something.

If you loves to stream audio. Make sure that you are connected to the car via wire.
Audio quality via bluetooth is the worst. Bluetooth will compress the audio during transmission and will create some distortion.
Got customer that complained after speakers upgrade and I connect the phone to the car via cable and with same song, distortion was fixed.
I even tested the car with FLAC audio on USB which is much2 better.

M8Bimmer It is hard to calculate the dimension because BMW uses the chassis cavity as woofer's enclosure.
The underseat woofer is mounted to a plastic box with a port that is connected to the side chassis cavity.
This is an improvement since older F-Chassis.

Lastly, what I've also noticed, the HK speakers quality on today BMW are different than the early F-Chassis HK.
I wish I have some pictures, but I do remember that the HK coming off from my F06 650GC is different than what comes off my G-chassis BMWs (G30 540, F97 X3MC, and G05 X5) or any newer BMW that I've worked on.
Thank you Ben . you're always such a great source of info and help to us here. Much appreciated. Wish you were closer to me.
Very interesting that info you have on the cavity. It must a least 2 inches deep to accommodate that sub woofer. And it's ported you say?
So a real sub enclosure built in....cool. On both side to boot!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-15-2022, 02:11 PM   #74
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Thank you Ben . you're always such a great source of info and help to us here. Much appreciated. Wish you were closer to me.
Very interesting that info you have on the cavity. It must a least 2 inches deep to accommodate that sub woofer. And it's ported you say?
So a real sub enclosure built in....cool. On both side to boot!
Yes, ported on both underseat woofers. Port have rubber/silicon seal that will seal the porting to the chassis cavity by B Pillar.
I wish I have pictures. 99% of the time, got caught up doing the work and forget to take pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:19 PM   #75
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Quote:
Yes, ported on both underseat woofers. Port have rubber/silicon seal that will seal the porting to the chassis cavity by B Pillar.
I wish I have pictures. 99% of the time, got caught up doing the work and forget to take pictures.
Wow that is pretty cool for sure. Yes pics would be very interesting to most of us who never see the seat out or the driver. With the seat in place you can't see a lot under there. I could barely find my phone once under there. Slid under the seat bracket itself.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-15-2022, 02:38 PM   #76
Ghostrider641
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M8

Ok, not having the car, how do you defeat the DSP on the HK?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:55 PM   #77
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider641 View Post
Ok, not having the car, how do you defeat the DSP on the HK?
Within the iDrive settings you uncheck the checked (by default) Logic 7 processing.
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2022, 10:46 PM   #78
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:

You could do Bavsound for $1500ish, but I figure $1500 isn't going to get you to B&W level sound quality. Its likely what I'll end up going with though as there doesn't seem to be another reasonable option without spending more than the $3500 the B&W would have cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #79
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
You could do Bavsound for $1500ish, but I figure $1500 isn't going to get you to B&W level sound quality. Its likely what I'll end up going with though as there doesn't seem to be another reasonable option without spending more than the $3500 the B&W would have cost.
As recommended to another forum member I'd start with the just the Bavsound subs for $600 (plus install if you don't go down the DIY route). That will definitely increase the low end. After that if you still want more get the MATCH 10 amp/DSP plus harness. They don't include pricing on their website but guessing $1500 or less. For that definitely an install ($300?).

That should end up with a result vastly superior ro the stock HK. No need to mess with the midrange drivers and tweeters as the HK will get the job done and all set with the EQ.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #80
Ghostrider641
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M8

Quote:
I'm going even cheaper..I plan on going to a local guru and let him adjust the sound as best he can, just to see what he can get out of the HK. Especially now that I've seen the Verdes green... I'm hopeful the BRG it's nice though.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #81
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Irony is the listed US dealer on the Audio Tech Fischer website is here locally in the Phoenix area. So my options may have improved if I pick up a 2023 off the list for a "deal" vs placing an order if it's sans B&W. However, pretty sure I'm just going to buy out the lease and sit in the sidelines until I see what 2024 brings to the table. The Lexus LC500 should have the new Infotainment system rolling out in some of the new 2022/2023 models and of course the new SL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #82
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As recommended to another forum member I'd start with the just the Bavsound subs for $600 (plus install if you don't go down the DIY route). That will definitely increase the low end. After that if you still want more get the MATCH 10 amp/DSP plus harness. They don't include pricing on their website but guessing $1500 or less. For that definitely an install ($300?).

That should end up with a result vastly superior ro the stock HK. No need to mess with the midrange drivers and tweeters as the HK will get the job done and all set with the EQ.
I sent them an email asking about the price. So, other than increased volume I assume what will that amp do compared to the stock one?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #83
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I sent them an email asking about the price. So, other than increased volume I assume what will that amp do compared to the stock one?
Definitely more power (which opens up the soundstage headroom, etc.) likely better DACs (which the B&W amp has as well and my suspicion as to why it was removed during the shortage) and some sound profiles that should improve the overall sound.

Granted marketing material but if true to the claims I'm even interested as between the two I'd be able to configure a better sound than the B&W DSP profiles.

Also see this post in the thread that confirms the HK/hybrid approach to absolute satisfaction. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29221008
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #84
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely more power (which opens up the soundstage headroom, etc.) likely better DACs (which the B&W amp has as well and my suspicion as to why it was removed during the shortage) and some sound profiles that should improve the overall sound.

Granted marketing material but if true to the claims I'm even interested as between the two I'd be able to configure a better sound than the B&W DSP profiles.

Also see this post in the thread that confirms the HK/hybrid approach to absolute satisfaction. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29221008
Interesting. So how do the settings for the amp work in conjunction with iDrive menus? Or would it not be Match specific adjustments and just the standard HK ones?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #85
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. So how do the settings for the amp work in conjunction with iDrive menus? Or would it not be Match specific adjustments and just the standard HK ones?
Obviously a bit of guessing here but I'd expect one would start with unchecking Logic 7 (it will be useless anyway as the MATCH DSP replaces it), set the EQ in iDrive to a typical u-wave pattern and then load one of the default sound profiles (via micro SD and free to download on the website). Unfortunately, they don't have one for the 8-series but guessing the 6-series will be a close enough match.

Not happy with the results or perhaps just want to do it right and customized for the 8-series, then download their free DSP PC-Tool 5 which runs on a Windoze laptop plus get a decent mic and go to town on a total customized experience based on the cars cabin. Basically, equivalent to the Audyssey or Dirac room calibration tools that used to be exclusive for high-end audio systems but now available on low to midrange gear as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #86
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Let me know if you guys need a quote on Match / AudioTec. I am their reseller.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #87
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes please. How much?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      08-16-2022, 02:20 PM   #88
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Almost called you out on that r33_RGSport but figured everyone on the thread already knew that based on it plus previous threads in which you and I discussed MATCH.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00