M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Sudden acceleration & crash!

03-08-2023, 04:31 PM   #67
mcsarna
Rep
Drives: BMW M850 xi 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Thanks re: NHTSA. May call on them if needed
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #68
wfbmw
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F92 M8 Comp

M8 surges and crashes itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarna View Post
I have a 2022 M850 xi convertible. Few weeks ago, got a message 'Driving comfort temporarily reduced.' Took it to dealer & got it back after a week or so. They had to change a battery and replace a computer module. Car was running fine for a week or so until I was parking the car and without any warning it lunged forward! A concrete wall was 3 feet in front of the car and no sensors were activated, auto brakes did not work even though I was literally standing on the brakes!! The car hit the wall causing damage to the front. Its with BMW dealership now & they have asked BMW USA to analyze the data in the 'black box' to see what transpired.
Any thoughts, comments?!
mcsarna, this exact thing happened to a family member pulling our 2022 M8 coupe into the garage. The car surged forward on its own accord, colliding with the garage. We are certain that this was not driver error, and have noticed a few similar incidents posted on the forums. Has the situation been resolved with BMW? I am trying to determine the right course of action to take here and am very interested in what happened to you and how BMW handled it. I also found another thread with a similar story "Sudden Unintended Acceleration - M8 Drove itself into a pole" posted by user Edlover.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 12:32 PM   #69
mcsarna
Rep

Hi: So sorry to hear about your family member’s ordeal. Sounds v much like what happened to me. I was in touch with BMW NA and they inspected my car for a couple of weeks and informed me that it was ‘operator error’ that caused the crash and that no malfunction was found in the car. They would not disclose the codes that they had found. I was offered payment of my deductible on the insurance provided I would sign a disclosure for not discussing my case on social media. I am certain they are covering up for some malfunction on these cars. The more cases like yours come forward, the more they will be forced to admit liability.
I hope this helps.
A lawyer in LA had a similar mishap that you mentioned. BMW NA had his car for over two months before telling him that there was no malfunction!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #70
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Hi: So sorry to hear about your family member’s ordeal. Sounds v much like what happened to me. I was in touch with BMW NA and they inspected my car for a couple of weeks and informed me that it was ‘operator error’ that caused the crash and that no malfunction was found in the car. They would not disclose the codes that they had found. I was offered payment of my deductible on the insurance provided I would sign a disclosure for not discussing my case on social media. I am certain they are covering up for some malfunction on these cars. The more cases like yours come forward, the more they will be forced to admit liability.
I hope this helps.
A lawyer in LA had a similar mishap that you mentioned. BMW NA had his car for over two months before telling him that there was no malfunction!!
If BMW is calling out operator error that smells like the original Audi quattro issues. However, in that case it was (if memory serves) an issue Audi did address (albeit not claiming fault) with the brake and accelerator being too close together from a pedal standpoint. Other cases also came to light with at least one other brand but that tied back to issues with the driver's side floor mat creeping up and causing chaos.

No way that can be the case with the 8-series as with my size 13 shoe plenty of separation between the break and accelerator pedals. Plus, our floormats are tied down. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist (generally debunk them all) but in this case it does sound like a coverup if a NDA is required to get compensation for at least an insurance deductible.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 05:51 PM   #71
mcsarna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
If BMW is calling out operator error that smells like the original Audi quattro issues. However, in that case it was (if memory serves) an issue Audi did address (albeit not claiming fault) with the brake and accelerator being too close together from a pedal standpoint. Other cases also came to light with at least one other brand but that tied back to issues with the driver's side floor mat creeping up and causing chaos.

No way that can be the case with the 8-series as with my size 13 shoe plenty of separation between the break and accelerator pedals. Plus, our floormats are tied down. I'm far from a conspiracy theorist (generally debunk them all) but in this case it does sound like a coverup if a NDA is required to get compensation for at least an insurance deductible.
BMW NA lady asked me if I had installed my own floor mats etc which I had not. She then asked if I had noticed a sudden RPM surge-now this has been mentioned by some other M8 forum members as happening to them. But in that split second when I was busy figuring out what had happened/braking hard/bracing for impact, I could be forgiven for not knowing whether there was an RPM surge. Although it would be hard to imagine a sudden acceleration without an RPM surge?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 06:42 PM   #72
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
BMW NA lady asked me if I had installed my own floor mats etc which I had not. She then asked if I had noticed a sudden RPM surge-now this has been mentioned by some other M8 forum members as happening to them. But in that split second when I was busy figuring out what had happened/braking hard/bracing for impact, I could be forgiven for not knowing whether there was an RPM surge. Although it would be hard to imagine a sudden acceleration without an RPM surge?!?
Some other brands had this happening but see the brakes let go and the creep an automatic has doesn't require RPM. Hence the question bc throttle position is recordable and can be found within a certain time frame. Say if you said no RPM change then it could be the run by wire braking system failed to maintain hold or the engagement of a torque converter is set a bit too low and letting idle or high idle RPM move the car faster than what would be expected....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #73
m8cguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 23 M8C, 23 X6M

I have a 23 X6M and a 23 M8C. Just got them. Both cars do the same thing….

Often, but not always when I start slowly rolling into the garage, and the back tires meet resistance coming in, the engine revs from about 500 to 1500 RPMs. Scares the crap out of me and wife. If I sit there for about 10 seconds with my foot on the brake, and don’t creep forward anymore, it goes back down to 500 and then I continue moving forward…

If I was to try and creep forward at 1500 I know I would hit the garage wall as the car moves too quickly.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 06:01 PM   #74
wfbmw
Registered
United_States
Rep

Noticing a pattern...

Quote:
I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply! Between my family member, yourself, and other users on the forum it does not sound like an isolated issue. the RPM surge issues mentioned as well also sound relevant, even when they haven't resulted in a collision. If anyone else has similar experiences I would be very interested to hear about them.
Appreciate 1
mcsarna22.00
      09-13-2023, 06:49 PM   #75
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8cguy View Post

Often, but not always when I start slowly rolling into the garage, and the back tires meet resistance coming in, the engine revs from about 500 to 1500 RPMs. Scares the crap out of me and wife. If I sit there for about 10 seconds with my foot on the brake, and don’t creep forward anymore, it goes back down to 500 and then I continue moving forward…

If I was to try and creep forward at 1500 I know I would hit the garage wall as the car moves too quickly.
I can say for certainty that my M850i has never exhibited this kind of behaviour. When pulling into my driveway and then garage my right foot is always on the brake, never the gas.

I always make a habit of watching the P light come on before releasing the brakes. I just don't that button push to park.

I do have issues with collision avoidance falsely triggering from the right side. I don't know if that will ever be fixed.

Rob
Appreciate 2
mcsarna22.00
      09-13-2023, 09:01 PM   #76
mcsarna
Rep

I follow the same ‘ritual.’ Always look for the P before releasing brake but on that fateful occasion, the sudden surge as I was approaching the front wall of the parking spot, I jad my foot on the brake and not the accelerator for sure!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 08:17 AM   #77
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Question does the M850i when you put it into park take like a second and you feel the vehicle disengage into park (a slight movement and sound of rpm drop)? My M8 does this when I am parking slowly and carefully into a tight spot. I place it in park and I feel the car drop into P and the rpm drops just a bit.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 11:51 AM   #78
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Nothing on my end with the M850GC. I park it daily in my garage and always drive slowly as I have a lot of stuff around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Question does the M850i when you put it into park take like a second and you feel the vehicle disengage into park (a slight movement and sound of rpm drop)? My M8 does this when I am parking slowly and carefully into a tight spot. I place it in park and I feel the car drop into P and the rpm drops just a bit.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4539.50
      09-16-2023, 06:41 PM   #79
wfbmw
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I follow the same ‘ritual.’ Always look for the P before releasing brake but on that fateful occasion, the sudden surge as I was approaching the front wall of the parking spot, I jad my foot on the brake and not the accelerator for sure!!
A couple more questions for you...

Do you still feel safe driving the car after it was repaired? Mine is getting fixed currently, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to trust the car with my family in it since it took off on its own.

Does anyone have a take on why it mostly appears to be 8 series models having this issue? My theory is that this could be from some kind of fault in the driver assistance features such as the parking assistant or collision avoidance/ braking systems and that these systems are overriding driver input at inappropriate times. However, I would assume all BMW models this age would use the same electronic systems, especially in the higher-end V8 cars. I would think that an X5 M or a M550i or an M8 etc. share most of their driver-aid components and have similar drivetrains, so I wonder why it is mostly happening on the 8 series.

Finally, mcscarna, would it be possible for me to get in contact with the lawyer in California that you mentioned? I would like to hear their take on how to handle this. We fear that we will be stuck with this car that nobody feels comfortable driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 07:40 PM   #80
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8cguy View Post

First off try with auto hold set. That said what resistance do the back tires meet when pulling into the garage? In my case its side collision going off like crazy as I have to hug the left side of a 2-car garage and there are some ladders and other objects along it's wall. Auto hold can be a bit of a PIA when trying to inch forward but after over 3-years of driving the M850i it's a godsend in 98% of all circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 07:04 AM   #81
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfbmw View Post
Do you still feel safe driving the car after it was repaired? Mine is getting fixed currently, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to trust the car with my family in it since it took off on its own.

Does anyone have a take on why it mostly appears to be 8 series models having this issue? My theory is that this could be from some kind of fault in the driver assistance features such as the parking assistant or collision avoidance/ braking systems and that these systems are overriding driver input at inappropriate times.
My M850i has had issues with collision avoidance system randomly triggering since the car was new. It's now a year old and the problem is worse, happening more often. I'm sick and tired of driving an expensive car that at any time can suddenly swerve left on its own accord. Plus I do think it's a safety concern because I don't want it swerving me into oncoming traffic or into a concrete boulevard.

It's not just the 8 series that has issues. Some other models have had issues with the forward collision mitigation suddenly slamming on the brakes.

The issues with my car does not generate any fault codes so the dealership has no idea how to troubleshoot or even fix the issue. They can just throw parts at it and hope that fixes it. I'm actually surprised they cannot audit the sensor logs to show how many times the system is triggering.

I keep asking my dealership to escalate the issue with BMW, but they just seem to drag their feet. In a week I will drop my car off for the 4th time and this time I'm just going to say I don't want it back until it is fixed.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 08:02 AM   #82
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Rob, why don’t you contact BMW NA directly. This is definitely a major safety issue. If they cannot fix the issue, they should cut you a deal on a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
My M850i has had issues with collision avoidance system randomly triggering since the car was new. It's now a year old and the problem is worse, happening more often. I'm sick and tired of driving an expensive car that at any time can suddenly swerve left on its own accord. Plus I do think it's a safety concern because I don't want it swerving me into oncoming traffic or into a concrete boulevard.

It's not just the 8 series that has issues. Some other models have had issues with the forward collision mitigation suddenly slamming on the brakes.

The issues with my car does not generate any fault codes so the dealership has no idea how to troubleshoot or even fix the issue. They can just throw parts at it and hope that fixes it. I'm actually surprised they cannot audit the sensor logs to show how many times the system is triggering.

I keep asking my dealership to escalate the issue with BMW, but they just seem to drag their feet. In a week I will drop my car off for the 4th time and this time I'm just going to say I don't want it back until it is fixed.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 03:20 PM   #83
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Rob, why don’t you contact BMW NA directly. This is definitely a major safety issue. If they cannot fix the issue, they should cut you a deal on a new car.
Rob_G77 is located in Canada. But yes, same concept instead with BMW Canada.
      09-17-2023, 06:27 PM   #84
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'll look into it this week. Up until now I had been expecting my dealership to escalate the matter for me, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case.

I did try emailing BMW Canada, but the people reading the emails didn't seem to understand what I was trying to tell them and they just kept referring me back to the dealership.

Edit: emailed BMW again, asking them to be involved since I consider the car faulty.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 09-17-2023 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:56 AM   #85
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I'm in Canada as well.

End of 2000, I bought my first BMW a 2001 740i sport, at that time I think BMW was the only car with navigation. I had a problem with the NAV, was acting weird and the dealer for weeks trying to figure it out the issue but they couldn't! I called BMW Canada, they sent their rep to the dealer, took the car for a quick test drive, came back and asked to have it for few days. The issue was repaired within a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Rob_G77 is located in Canada. But yes, same concept instead with BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:57 AM   #86
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Rob, whey you call this time, ask to meet with their rep to discuss the issue. They will send someone to the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
I'll look into it this week. Up until now I had been expecting my dealership to escalate the matter for me, but obviously that doesn't seem to be the case.

I did try emailing BMW Canada, but the people reading the emails didn't seem to understand what I was trying to tell them and they just kept referring me back to the dealership.

Edit: emailed BMW again, asking them to be involved since I consider the car faulty.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 09:24 AM   #87
maechthildt
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

AFAIK the main difference between the 8 and others is the electrically powered brake-by-wire system. For what people describe here, this might as well be the source of the problem.

So we have brake and accelerate by wire - a recipe for disaster.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 01:51 AM   #88
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Rob, whey you call this time, ask to meet with their rep to discuss the issue. They will send someone to the dealership.
This is the reply I got from BMW. For the time being I will let the dealership try to fix one more time then I will escalate further if not repaired.

Quote:
Please note that we certainly understand both your concerns, including the issues you have experienced with the side collision alert of your BMW M850i. While we understand your concerns, we would like to clarify that our corporate office is unable to diagnose or service issues within our vehicles as we do not have any mechanically trained representatives. BMW Canada relies on the trained technical representatives at our authorized BMW retailers for these concerns. In the event that they need additional assistance with diagnosing or repairing vehicle concerns, please rest assured that they do have access to additional assistance from BMW technical experts. We do understand that this is not a complaint against your retailer but about the car instead. However, the inspection of your concerns as well as resolution will need to be provided at the retailer level. Should you feel that your concerns are not being addressed or resolved, we can assist by offering to bring this matter to the service management team of your retailer, as shared in our previous email. In order for us to do so, please respond with your permission to proceed.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.
Appreciate 0