M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Unable to update software?

02-26-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Unable to update software?

Hey guys, I got my M850 a couple days ago and right away set-up the phone connection and driver profile etc. and all that. Also downloaded the BMW app on the phone and it showed a software updated is needed. I downloaded the software to the phone but it won't fully connect to the car. Keeps showing the wifi connection is not connected in the app while the other two (app and internet) is connected. CarPlay and all that works without issues and no problems there but just the wifi connection doesn't work. I do see the car's wifi show up on the phone and it connects and the phone shows wifi is connected but the app doesn't recognize it so the car won't update the software.

Even signed up for the 3GB free data or whatever though I read somewhere that is not needed for this purpose. Any ideas on what I can do/try here?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M850i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Hey guys, I got my M850 a couple days ago and right away set-up the phone connection and driver profile etc. and all that. Also downloaded the BMW app on the phone and it showed a software updated is needed. I downloaded the software to the phone but it won't fully connect to the car. Keeps showing the wifi connection is not connected in the app while the other two (app and internet) is connected. CarPlay and all that works without issues and no problems there but just the wifi connection doesn't work. I do see the car's wifi show up on the phone and it connects and the phone shows wifi is connected but the app doesn't recognize it so the car won't update the software.

Even signed up for the 3GB free data or whatever though I read somewhere that is not needed for this purpose. Any ideas on what I can do/try here?
Try clearing the cache of the app and try again.
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      02-26-2023, 06:09 PM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugrac View Post
Try clearing the cache of the app and try again.
Thanks for the reply. Any idea how I do that? Played around with the settings in the app and the phone but can’t seem to find the option.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 07:04 PM   #4
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Tried clearing the cache after watching YouTube video which said basically unload and reinstall the app. Still not working. Same issue even tho wifi shows connected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:30 PM   #5
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Tried clearing the cache after watching YouTube video which said basically unload and reinstall the app. Still not working. Same issue even tho wifi shows connected.
Be sure your phone's wifi is connected to the ssid of the car, not your home routers wifi. If it is and you still can't connect, try rebooting your phone and try the whole process again. Double check the wifi settings in iD7 too.
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      02-27-2023, 07:06 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Be sure your phone's wifi is connected to the ssid of the car, not your home routers wifi. If it is and you still can't connect, try rebooting your phone and try the whole process again. Double check the wifi settings in iD7 too.
Agreed as the phone may still be in range of the home WiFi and stuck on it. The other aspect is CarPlay will take over the WiFi as it is similar to how Android Auto works. In the past when I used to have AA running I'd have to kill it to get the BMW app to connect properly.
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      02-27-2023, 10:06 PM   #7
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Haven't tried again since and the car is now gone for 4 days getting full stealth PPF wrap so will try when back. But if I am understanding that SSID thing right, you saying just make sure I am connected to car's wifi and not my home wifi? Which I did of course that I was connected to BMW wifi that showed-up, unless the SSID thing means something else?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 11:46 PM   #8
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Haven't tried again since and the car is now gone for 4 days getting full stealth PPF wrap so will try when back. But if I am understanding that SSID thing right, you saying just make sure I am connected to car's wifi and not my home wifi? Which I did of course that I was connected to BMW wifi that showed-up, unless the SSID thing means something else?
No that's correct. So likely back to CarPlay as it will take over the WiFi connection to the car WiFi aka it's SSID (BMW 48181 in my case).
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      03-04-2023, 12:05 PM   #9
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I freaking give up. I’ve tried everything I can possibly think of and the freaking wifi in the app just does not connect when the phone clearly shows it’s connected to the car wifi. I delete the connections from the car and phone and set up as new and even that doesn’t fix it.

I’ve also changed within the connection to connect through iDrive rather than CarPlay and no bloody difference. Unreal how frustrating this is. Even other features in the app don’t work for me like 3D camera for example.

I guess I am not left with a choice but to make a service appointment. The car is still under original warranty so I imagine this is something they would sort out at no cost to me?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #10
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I freaking give up. I’ve tried everything I can possibly think of and the freaking wifi in the app just does not connect when the phone clearly shows it’s connected to the car wifi.
I see you say you tried everything, but if you haven't already, try updating the apps in iD7 as shown in these 2 short video's. It may not help, but it can't hurt to try and it may trip something and things will work. As far as what the stealership will do for you, I reserve comment, as whatever I say, they will surely make a liar out of me lol

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pjBUNKl-E7YXmO

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6W6UIAdW6b6xJx

Last edited by yugrac; 03-04-2023 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      03-04-2023, 03:41 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
I freaking give up. I’ve tried everything I can possibly think of and the freaking wifi in the app just does not connect when the phone clearly shows it’s connected to the car wifi. I delete the connections from the car and phone and set up as new and even that doesn’t fix it.

I’ve also changed within the connection to connect through iDrive rather than CarPlay and no bloody difference. Unreal how frustrating this is. Even other features in the app don’t work for me like 3D camera for example.

I guess I am not left with a choice but to make a service appointment. The car is still under original warranty so I imagine this is something they would sort out at no cost to me?
If your car is under new car warranty, of course the dealer will resolve this for you. You might simply need an iStep update or it could be an issue with your VIN (OTA security certificate) and BMWs back office servers. They'll sort it out.
      03-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #12
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I see you say you tried everything, but if you haven't already, try updating the apps in iD7 as shown in these 2 short video's. It may not help, but it can't hurt to try and it may trip something and things will work. As far as what the stealership will do for you, I reserve comment, as whatever I say, they will surely make a liar out of me lol

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pjBUNKl-E7YXmO

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6W6UIAdW6b6xJx

I guess I might as well give it a try. Not like it could be any worse. Haha. Will report back after I've tried it. Thanks for the comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
If your car is under new car warranty, of course the dealer will resolve this for you. You might simply need an iStep update or it could be an issue with your VIN (OTA security certificate) and BMWs back office servers. They'll sort it out.
Called the dealer earlier to schedule an appointment and they gave me a 'BMW Genius' number and said to trouble shoot with them first and if it doesn't work then to call them to schedule an appointment. It still has original warranty so that should take care of it, but the run around continues for now. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:05 PM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Called the dealer earlier to schedule an appointment and they gave me a 'BMW Genius' number and said to trouble shoot with them first and if it doesn't work then to call them to schedule an appointment. It still has original warranty so that should take care of it, but the run around continues for now. lol
I would suggest BMWNA/CA customer service. They should be willing to open a case with BMW IT to see if this is a back-office server issue they can resolve.

In my experience the Genius line is useless for help in need of escalation.
      03-04-2023, 04:48 PM   #14
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Well, two other aspects not mentioned and the 3D reminded me of one. Check the cars privacy settings iD7->Car->Settings->General Settings->Data Privacy. By default they come configured as "accept all services including analysis". There are some other options but I live in the world of IT security/privacy so I have a custom setup.

Under Privacy settings both 3D view and OTAs come into play. Your OTA issue is more about the WiFi but check the settings for 3D View and turn off the rest of the big brother (aka George Orwell stuff).

As for the WiFi since you're on the AT&T 3 months hot spot trial it may not be an issue but in my case I've also had to configure my Google Pixel to join the WiFi but use "as is", i.e. ignore the AT&T login and accept that there is not data. Pretty sure iOS has the same setting and will check my work iPhone and get it connected to the car just to test.

CarPlay and AA do not care about the data of the WiFi connection as they just use it to communicate to the car. However, with your trial data exists but my gut feeling is it's still CarPlay taking over the WiFi as regardless of the setting to use iD7 vs CarPlay the phone recognizes it exists and still connects. On my Pixel to stop that AA stupidity I've turned off wireless AA. See if in CarPlay you can do the same as that kills it from even recognizing the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      03-04-2023, 06:03 PM   #15
yugrac
Private First Class
Rep

Regarding Carplay and AA, I believe if you want to remove them from the equation, just turn Carplay off for your vehicle in the apple Carplay settings and for AA, disable the app in the app settings area.
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      03-05-2023, 10:53 PM   #16
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Have you tried rebooting the system by pressing the volume button for 45 secs?

The genius paired my car up when I bought it. Then I left on a 2 week trip. Long about Pahrump, NV it all goes to shit. The car and the phone said they were paired up, but they weren't. I diddled and daddled and got it all to work on the 3rd reboot. This happened several times over the next few months. Spotify worked but the phone didn't. The phone worked but Spotify didn't.

The last go around was really pissing me off. The phone just would not pair. It finally hooked up. A few days later the update came out. It was cumbersome, but it went into the phone, the car sucked it out of the phone and then the car installed it. All in, about an hour. Haven't had a single problem with anything since. Maybe 3 months?

Probably not a technical enough description for bloozemanAZ , but I don't have his knowledge base. Seemed like a lot of trial and error originally.
Appreciate 1
ksa1071.00
      03-05-2023, 11:33 PM   #17
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input. Once I muster up the courage to deal with the bs again in a few days, I will give the aforementioned methods a try as well and report back. Wish me luck. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 09:05 AM   #18
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Have you tried rebooting the system by pressing the volume button for 45 secs?

The genius paired my car up when I bought it. Then I left on a 2 week trip. Long about Pahrump, NV it all goes to shit. The car and the phone said they were paired up, but they weren't. I diddled and daddled and got it all to work on the 3rd reboot. This happened several times over the next few months. Spotify worked but the phone didn't. The phone worked but Spotify didn't.

The last go around was really pissing me off. The phone just would not pair. It finally hooked up. A few days later the update came out. It was cumbersome, but it went into the phone, the car sucked it out of the phone and then the car installed it. All in, about an hour. Haven't had a single problem with anything since. Maybe 3 months?

Probably not a technical enough description for bloozemanAZ , but I don't have his knowledge base. Seemed like a lot of trial and error originally.
You are spot on as I had the same situation but in my case it was an OTA that made Bluetooth absolutely flaky. Likely the iD release your car came with.

During that period sometimes I'd get in the car and the phone wasn't connected. So initially I'd have the car forget the device and vice versa and go through the pairing process before leaving the garage. After 3 or 4 rounds of that BS I discovered that just rebooting iDrive got it all working again. Definitely less time to reboot iDrive vs the entire process to get the phone re-paired to the car.

That went on for about 6 months until the next OTA fixed the bug. Has been rock solid for last 18+ months now. Fingers crossed BMW doesn't bug it out again with another OTA.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5261.50
      04-29-2023, 08:15 PM   #19
WolfpackCO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 G82 xdrive coupe

I’m having the exact issue with my ‘20 M340iX. I’ve tried everything suggested yet the BMW app still shows Wi-Fi has not connected. Beyond frustrating, I guess I’ll have to go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 08:23 PM   #20
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Yea I can’t offer any help. I went to the dealer eventually and they sorted it out. They said they had to make contact with corporate and get them to send some refresh signals to get it to work.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2023, 12:40 AM   #21
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I loaded the software update into my 840 weeks ago but have been unable to install it in the car.

Hopefully resolved when it goes in for a service in a few weeks…..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 08:23 AM   #22
jargon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M8Comp Cabriolet

I had dealer change the oil the other day and software update was due. Did not ask about it assuming they would have done it. They did not.

The oil change took 3 hours, twice as long as they told me. Oh well.

Last edited by jargon; 04-30-2023 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0