M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M850i GC Front Ground Clearance

05-12-2023, 06:51 PM   #1
dscharrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 SB

M850i GC Front Ground Clearance

I'm considering a 2020 M850i GC this fall or next spring and I'm slightly concerned with the front lip ground clearance because of the cement step in front of my garage (~5.25") and the curb/incline of my drive way. (Mild incline).

Can anyone measure the front lip ground clearance?
Is it best to back this car into the garage for this reason?
Anyone else have issues scraping pulling into their driveway?
How's the ground clearance for every day driving?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 07:52 PM   #2
RED99HT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 M850i

I just bought a 2021 M850GC a couple of months ago and I will say you have to be very careful pulling into parking spots and pulling in and out of sloped driveways. The height to the bottom of my front bumper is approximately 5.5” and about 5” to the flexible lip underneath it. I would definitely recommend backing it into your garage if you have a 5.5” curb. My driveway has a good amount of slope and a dip between the start of my driveway and the street. I actually bought a couple of horse mats from Tractor Supply and cut them in strips, bolted them together and made a custom bridge to smooth the transition up the driveway. I still have my 2014 550 and no issues before with my driveway. The 850 is definitely more sports car like height so you really have to pay attention to speed bumps and parking spots with high curbs and concrete tire bumpers. I’ve been backing in to most parking spots to play it safe..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 08:42 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I'm curious what you are talking about. Why do you have a 5.25" step in front of your garage? Pic? Anyway, height is not the only issue. As a person who lives in a city with the world's dumbest surface drainage system, compression of the suspension is the biggest issue. You may think you have an inch clearance, but an inch goes away real fast if you hit something at even 2 mph and your suspension compresses.
Appreciate 0