M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion The best car for the worst roads in the nation...

05-04-2023, 06:05 AM   #1
donharris757
Rep
Drives: 2022 850 grand coupe

The best car for the worst roads in the nation...

I wish i can say that owning the Boss has been a great experience. Sadly it has been anything but. Days of absolute aggravation frustration and absolute anger. I have owned this car for approx two years now and in that time the cost of bent rims has been staggering to say the least.. so much so that the warranty i purchased through Freehold BMW refused to reimbursment me after three replacements in the first year. Imagine my surprize earlier this year when they announced that NJ has been voted the 2nd worst roads in the entire nation. In my 30 plus years of driving BMW's, this has been the best car with the worst driving experience of my life because of my state's notoriously neglected roads. And i used to wonder why i rarely see an 8 series on the roads here. Now i know why.. stay away from our roads gentlemen particularly as you get closer to NYC. NJ and you. Nothing here but taxes potholes and tolls.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2023, 10:24 AM   #2
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Drives 2023 G16 840i

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Not much different here in the UK! I have damage on two of my alloys due to potholes after only 6 weeks of ownership. The local council decided to spend money on refreshing road markings instead of fixing potholes. Feel your angst.
      05-04-2023, 10:26 AM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Sounds like the need more speed cameras you in the areas you both live so they can take that fund and fix holes to allow others to go faster generating more income etc.... Basic circle of life stuff.....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yeh roads in the U.K. are frankly disgusting
I just got a new m550 so I’m the honeymoon period with me doing a lot of driving (much more than usual)
With all of this driving it has been very obvious how bad the roads are everywhere. I recall when I was younger that roads would get resurfaced quite regularly but you just don’t see it now
Some of these potholes are downright dangerous let alone the potential damage they can cause
The repairs are not great and some of those also fail as they are just a botch

We should scrap vehicle excise duty and bring back road tax where the money actually goes to the upkeep of the roads
It’s not a difficult concept and I just don’t get he current stupidity

We used to be able to afford to look after the roads so why can’t we do it now?

Ok got that off my chest!
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5273.50
      05-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #5
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

OP I feel you. The roads are a disaster. Where I am they go around in trucks and fill in potholes with asphalt. If there are 7 potholes in an 1/8 mile radius they fill each pothole and move on. Then you'll get rain potholes again. Someone complains come back fill in potholes. I was thinking about this recently getting rid of my X5M for a M5 but I believe there is a 1/2 mile of road near me that is like glass, but I'm not dropping 130k to drive on this road back and forth. I'm used to seeing people drive now in front of me swaying back and forth because they know where the potholes are. It's almost a joke. Where is all the money (tolls, bridges, taxes) going?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #6
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I'm reminded of the misery of NY/NJ roads every time I go back. I feel for ya.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 05:51 PM   #7
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

You guys should move to my city. The city of good people who always do the right thing. They just lowered the speed limit on many streets to 30 kilometer per hour.
That's a fucking joke. That is their plan to save the children as they say, to justify such a pathetic limit. In front of schools...sure...absolutely.
But on other streets....what a joke
For all you guys running in the miles per hour system let me do the math.
It equals 18 miles per hour. Imagine in a big city. I see many American cities at 50 miles per hour on bigger roads.
All they do in canada now is make it a shittier place to live by the week. Freedoms taken daily with no argument from anyone. Fucking canadian sheep.
What ever happened to telling kids to not play on or near the road? When I was in school we were taught that a lot. Remember Elmer the Safety Elephant?
I watch the local news nightly and there are very few children hit buy cars here. That's just the excuse by those who can't stand anyone else's freedom. There are more pedestrians hit crossing where they shouldn't be crossing than kids hit....jeez. What a fantasy. Our school zones are well marked and kids being hit are rare events. Then there's the innocent motorist driving where he is supposed when a fool runs out in front of him. Or an moron who can't even handle their own safety. Who's fault is that?
Don't these idiots look before crossing. I see people with their faces buried into their phone that NEVER look before stepping off the curb. Stooges

Last edited by M8Bimmer; 05-04-2023 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 5
snowbimmer5273.50
m3_08606.50
snareman9077.00
      05-04-2023, 05:57 PM   #8
HoyaLefty50
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M8 GC, '25 X5 M60i, '20 Je

Where in NJ? I’m in Rockland County, NY and a Bergen County, NJ area and the roads are decent. 287 in NNJ is especially fun to drive on.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 11:06 PM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

London is mostly 20 mph now with few exceptions where it’s 30mph

A problem I see with lowering speed limits is that it actually encourages people to just step out in the roads
The amount of times I see people not even look is incredible

When I was young I was “ the green cross code”
Basically how to cross the road . Stop look listen
Basic stuff and should be common sense but not it seems these days

London has become a no go place to go with a car now.
There is simply no fun driving there any more
Potholes, speed bumps,20mph limits, speed cameras, congestion charging zones, ultra low emission zones
So anti car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 12:10 AM   #10
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

From what I see pedestrians are mostly fools. The wife and I see so many tool bits crossing at lights and crosswalks and they never look either way. Seriously. We watch for it and see it so often it's nuts!! 90% of the time they are staring into the phone. We comment on how lax these people are with their OWN safety. They seem to assume that the driver will save their sorry asses. Are they brain dead???
Simply stunning as WE\I see it constantly. Huge amount of hit and runs in Toronto (not my city ) And many of these seem to be between lights or pedestrian crossings. Which mean people are crossing mid street. Risky....even more so if you don't scan and look very carefully at who the fuck is coming.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2023, 01:27 AM   #11
SSBMW14
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Drives 2023 G16 840i

Garage List
2023 BMW 840i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
London is mostly 20 mph now with few exceptions where it’s 30mph

A problem I see with lowering speed limits is that it actually encourages people to just step out in the roads
The amount of times I see people not even look is incredible

When I was young I was “ the green cross code”
Basically how to cross the road . Stop look listen
Basic stuff and should be common sense but not it seems these days

London has become a no go place to go with a car now.
There is simply no fun driving there any more
Potholes, speed bumps,20mph limits, speed cameras, congestion charging zones, ultra low emission zones
So anti car.
I live in London and it’s a joke. Our idiotic mayor has brought the public transport system to its knees, and is taking it out on motorists to generate revenue. The anti-car green left-wing lobby says more bus lanes, more cycle lanes, more speed restrictions, and then guess what congestion increases, pollution goes up and guess what - they come back and say there is too much congestion and pollution, let’s reduce the speed limit, let’s put other restrictions in place.

The main thoroughfare through London - Parklane used to be 40mph and three lanes on either side. Now it’s two lanes and 20mph. Even at night when there’s no traffic. On another route bus lanes could be used in the evenings and weekends, no longer. Fucking morons in charge. Sorry my rant over.
snowbimmer5273.50
      05-05-2023, 01:40 AM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep

I’m with you 100%
Sadiq has got to go , I’m hoping his ulez expansion gets blocked , I don’t want the cameras in place because that will mean road pricing coming in at some point no doubt.

All these changes were sneaked in during covid when not many people were up in London.
The pavements have been widened when there is no need, plenty of space for people so now just one lane . If a bus stops, everything is now stuck behind it
He has single handily ruined London , a city I have always loved
How dare he

The irony is that he gets wisked around in a. Bullet proof v8 Range Rover…….
Ffs
With what he’s done no wonder there s a security threat against him

At least boris ( whatever you may think of him) cycled to work

I used to enjoy driving up to London at a weekend, useful if I wanted to pick up something a bit large that I didn’t want to take on the train but now even on Christmas Day, driving up there is a completed pain in the arse
Hyde park as you say, what a disaster. There was nothing wrong with those 40mph lanes

London in places feels deserted, the city is dead . Tottenham Court Road is dead

I am so angry with him

And breath
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 10:32 AM   #13
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
You guys should move to my city. The city of good people who always do the right thing. They just lowered the speed limit on many streets to 30 kilometer per hour.
That's a fucking joke. That is their plan to save the children as they say, to justify such a pathetic limit. In front of schools...sure...absolutely.
But on other streets....what a joke
For all you guys running in the miles per hour system let me do the math.
It equals 18 miles per hour. Imagine in a big city. I see many American cities at 50 miles per hour on bigger roads.
All they do in canada now is make it a shittier place to live by the week. Freedoms taken daily with no argument from anyone. Fucking canadian sheep.
What ever happened to telling kids to not play on or near the road? When I was in school we were taught that a lot. Remember Elmer the Safety Elephant?
I watch the local news nightly and there are very few children hit buy cars here. That's just the excuse by those who can't stand anyone else's freedom. There are more pedestrians hit crossing where they shouldn't be crossing than kids hit....jeez. What a fantasy. Our school zones are well marked and kids being hit are rare events. Then there's the innocent motorist driving where he is supposed when a fool runs out in front of him. Or an moron who can't even handle their own safety. Who's fault is that?
Don't these idiots look before crossing. I see people with their faces buried into their phone that NEVER look before stepping off the curb. Stooges
That does sounds crazy. The US isn't much better in some respects. More and more new restrictive laws just to try and save people from themselves. No need for personal responsibility. You can have participation trophies and we'll take care of you. It's obviously a whole different discussion, but I feel your frustration. It's hard enough to go 20mph in the school zones where your stopping distance is about 5ft. 18, while close to the same thing is even crazier.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4554.50
      05-05-2023, 03:08 PM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBMW14 View Post
Not much different here in the UK! I have damage on two of my alloys due to potholes after only 6 weeks of ownership. The local council decided to spend money on refreshing road markings instead of fixing potholes. Feel your angst.
Same happened to me a few weeks ago - big bubble on the sidewall and a bent rim after only 4k miles. All they do about potholes in my area is spray a ring of yellow paint around them and consider it 'job done'.
Main problem is that I spend too much time looking at the road immediately in front of me as opposed to what's approaching in the distance.
Appreciate 1
AP2795.00
      05-05-2023, 11:58 PM   #15
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes same. In days of old you could just drive and concentrate on that but having to actively look out for potholes is not great and diverting your attention away unnecessarily

Either I’m just getting old or I simply just understand how the world is now working
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 04:44 PM   #16
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Same happened to me a few weeks ago - big bubble on the sidewall and a bent rim after only 4k miles. All they do about potholes in my area is spray a ring of yellow paint around them and consider it 'job done'.
Main problem is that I spend too much time looking at the road immediately in front of me as opposed to what's approaching in the distance.
I posted on the curb rash thread of the sidewall damage plus rim on my wife's X5. SA told me it looked like a pothole vs a curb and that makes sense as she couldn't remember hitting a curb. With our 8-series' hit a similar pothole and the tire would be done along with a vent rim.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 04:52 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Yes same. In days of old you could just drive and concentrate on that but having to actively look out for potholes is not great and diverting your attention away unnecessarily

Either I’m just getting old or I simply just understand how the world is now working
I think it comes down to municipality budgeting, etc. Here in Scottsdale a decade ago any pot hole would be repaired in a few days to a week max but now will exist for months. Also guessing they don't even do it until someone files a complaint through their website. Literally an option. 👍

I have all potholes marked for normal drives I make to the office, grocery store, etc. in JBV1 so it alerts me just in case I'm not paying attention. To your point though when in another area of town on unknown streets literally half my focus is watching out for pot holes!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 05:23 PM   #18
Burn-N-AZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350

I’m pretty confident that here in Tucson, NASA & Univ of Arizona use surface streets to test their rovers. If the rover can make it down Fairview from Prince to Wetmore it is certified to survive any planetary surface in our solar system.

As bad as I want an M8, I’m either going with the X5M, RR, or Rubi392.
Appreciate 2
snowbimmer5273.50
      05-06-2023, 07:57 PM   #19
snareman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
I posted on the curb rash forum of the sidewall damage plus rim on my wife's X5. SA told me it looked like a pothole vs a curb and that makes sense as she couldn't remember hitting a curb. With our 8-series' hit a similar pothole and the tire would be done along with a vent rim.
There is a curb rash forum? I don't think I want to go there.
Appreciate 2
AP2795.00
      05-06-2023, 08:44 PM   #20
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
There is a curb rash forum? I don't think I want to go there.
Updated to thread vs forum but literally there should be a curb rash forum out there somewhere. 😜 I LOL as now back on Club Lexus as seriously considering a 2024 LC500 as it gets the new NA designed Infotainment system vs the BS Lexus has been pushing and not evolving for nearly 2 decades outside of a stupid track pad or mouse like controller.

In there is a guy bitching about his Infrared coupe (5 layer paint equal to an Individual plus some) due to rock chips. He's blaming it on the paint being faulty. Hello sorry and have you ever heard of PPF?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 12:37 AM   #21
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn-N-AZ View Post
I’m pretty confident that here in Tucson, NASA & Univ of Arizona use surface streets to test their rovers. If the rover can make it down Fairview from Prince to Wetmore it is certified to survive any planetary surface in our solar system.
😆
Appreciate 0