M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Are there unpopular 8-series specs?

06-16-2023, 07:31 PM   #1
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Are there unpopular 8-series specs?

Browsing through toys I cannot afford (my wife is out) I came across the 8-series. I was struck by the wide variations in prices for used examples. None of them had reported accidents, so I assume that wasn't the factor.

Is xDrive more desirable? Are certain paint colors unpopular? Is it the interior color? Is it the wheels? Does everyone want 20", or worse, black wheels. Maybe it's variations between local markets. I was looking country wide.

Any insight/experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 09:07 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

If you live in a colder climate, xdrive is desirable. If you live in a warmer climate and prefer to have more "fun" driving, rear wheel drive is more entertaining.

20" wheels with summer tires yield better handling during warmer months and climates. Colder climate owners often prefer all season tires (however some prefer a separate winter set of wheels). Beware of potholes and the lower profile tires used with 20" wheels. The rest of the items you mention are purely subjective. There's a tush for every seat.
      06-16-2023, 09:22 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Only real 8-series to buy is the F91 M8 Comp Vert..... oh in red..

You can't go wrong with any spec honestly as long as it fits your budget and likes its all perfect.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2023, 10:32 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Only real 8-series to buy is the F91 M8 Comp Vert..... oh in red..

You can't go wrong with any spec honestly as long as it fits your budget and likes its all perfect.
Says the guy with Individual Fire Red (if memory serves on the color). 😜 As per others X-drive is a must especially in colder climates but even if not than a worthy option even on a 840i (as standard on all the rest). Color wise and anyone can lambast me for my personal opinion but black on black is 100% pedestrian and should be avoided unless a lot dweller great discount.

Packages wise Driving Assistance Pro is a must if you spend anytime on long highway runs. If a 840i or M850i Alcantara is a great option along with full leather depending on the budget. Coupe? CF roof is worth it as well if in budget. Audiophile or just someone that loves music the B&W is worth it as well if also in budget.
Appreciate 3
Tenac4548.50
Accentu8703.50
      06-17-2023, 02:50 AM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

As with all BMWs the options are both desirable and expensive. I always buy something with every option box ticked (other than tow bar!) as I need to consider resale, both in terms of ease and money. Also I know I would pine for what I knew I could have had.

I love Driver Assist, both on motorways and stop/start traffic.

My 840 is rear wheel drive and sees me through UK winters the same as any other car ie everything but heavy frost and snow. In the real world 4wd only shows a massive benefit in bad weather if appropriate winter tyres are fitted (same as any other 4wd). Not saying it isn’t ‘better’, just marginal in real world day to day driving on ‘standard’ tyres away from the drag strip.

The full Merino leather interior is a marked upgrade to standard.

I agree with the comment someone made above…having had one I wouldn’t go back to a black interior on a BMW…personal opinion but I found it bordering on depressing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 07:31 AM   #6
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Oh c'mon you guys. Black is the bad-ass color. And these are bad ass cars. Black on black avoids the Roy Rogers syndrome of these other God awful color combo's I see on these cars. These 8 series with bizarre color combo's frankly look like crap to me. It's fine if your out to a picnic lunch with girl scouts...lol.
So now the secret's out. Some of the colors combo's I see would keep me from buying the car.
In my past I've had a few cars with red on the interior. Took me years to stop throwing up. As far a tan goes. I'll buy a saddle.
And as far as white goes....I'll leave that to the bride.
I have seen some cool exterior colors but none that I'd want to see daily or own. My driveway looks like a Mennonite convention or a funeral directors class reunion. I'm not very color adventurous I know. My truck is black with a grey interior....flashy eh?

Last edited by M8Bimmer; 06-17-2023 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2023, 09:08 AM   #7
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Oh c'mon you guys. Black is the bad-ass color. And these are bad ass cars. Black on black avoids the Roy Rogers syndrome of these other God awful color combo's I see on these cars. These 8 series with bizarre color combo's frankly look like crap to me. It's fine if your out to a picnic lunch with girl scouts...lol.
So now the secret's out. Some of the colors combo's I see would keep me from buying the car.
In my past I've had a few cars with red on the interior. Took me years to stop throwing up. As far a tan goes. I'll buy a saddle.
I have seen some cool exterior colors but none that I'd want to see daily or own. My driveway looks like a Mennonite convention or a funeral directors class reunion. I'm not very color adventurous I know. My truck is black with a grey interior....flashy eh?
I had a black in black 330i and You are of course right…why wouldn’t you want black paint when it means you have to clean it every time it is outside for more than two minutes and why wouldn’t you want a black interior when it makes you have suicidal thoughts??

Dravit grey with Ivory White merino….perfection……..you know you want to….

Appreciate 3
snareman9063.50
RoGo330i144.00
      06-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #8
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
I had a black in black 330i and You are of course right…why wouldn’t you want black paint when it means you have to clean it every time it is outside for more than two minutes and why wouldn’t you want a black interior when it makes you have suicidal thoughts??

Dravit grey with Ivory White merino….perfection……..you know you want to….

I always say that when you are washing a black car and then dry it front to back, by the time you are drying the back the front is showing new dirt already
Appreciate 5
Seaford1150.50
Accentu8703.50
      06-17-2023, 11:28 AM   #9
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Quote:
I almost pulled the trigger on a blue B8 with red interior. I'm kinda glad I didn't. That combo just doesn't look good to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 11:57 AM   #10
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Black on Silverstone is fantastic 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #11
M8Bimmer
Rep

I'm just not brave when it comes to colors. I have seen some STUPEDOUS colors on the 8's though. I'm just not sure I could look at them everyday. I do know I can live with black. I had black on black in my RX7. Loved it.
I do like the M8 in some of the silvers they put out.
I've never found the dirt to be an issue with a black car. All the other colors have the same dirt on them.
A car as bad ass as the M8 needs a bad ass color scheme. I'm just a sucker for black on black.
I don't want a car that look like a party dress.
Some of those Lambo or Ferrari colors make me wanna prance around and buy Liberace records. Nice car but the color schemes are horrendous imo.
And white as an interior color......haha...no thanks. I love the dark interior with no big ugly fucking yellow stickers on my sun visors....lol
I savored that just yesterday.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5260.00
      06-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #12
Avallon
Private
Rep
Drives: Volvo S90

The M8 still looks impressive in black, but when I test drove an 840i GC in black , although it looked very nice, it didn't look like an £80k car (at least not to me).

I might have gone for sunset orange, if it was just a little brighter/richer...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 11:49 PM   #13
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Black on black avoids the Roy Rogers syndrome of these other God awful color combo's I see on these cars. These 8 series with bizarre color combo's frankly look like crap to me.
You're right, there are some rather hideous looking color combinations out there for all BMW models, but with the 8 series nothing kills the aesthetics and value more (I think) than poor colors.

Rob
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1272.50
      06-18-2023, 04:53 AM   #14
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Black on Silverstone is fantastic 👍
Agreed - I love dark / light contrast. Mine is Tanzanite with Ivory full merino and it just looks so so nice. Also a massive fan of black with red, but can be quite divisive!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 11:18 AM   #15
M8Bimmer
Rep

You know what they say about red interiors. They have a tendency to cause a driver to be "angry" or "angrier" I can see that to a certain extent.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #16
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

Carbon black with fiona red and black interior . I love black too but have a 4x4 for 28 years that's black. Beautiful when clean and polished but now I have gone fir Dravit grey and Sakhir orange / alcantara interior. Red calipers too.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #17
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You know what they say about red interiors. They have a tendency to cause a driver to be "angry" or "angrier" I can see that to a certain extent.
I've never heard that but I can somewhat see the rationalization behind it especially if younger or just a hot head in general. I chose my Tanzanite Blue exterior and Fiona Red/Black interior as although I can see the glory of the Tanzanite on the hood while driving everything else is the interior.

I'm older and have never been a hot head or otherwise I'd never made it in the Corporate officer ranks in the F100. I saw that type crash and burn over my 28 career in that world. So for me the Fiona Red/Black has the opposite effect, i.e., it just makes me flat out happy when in the car as it's absolutely gorgeous.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2023, 12:48 PM   #18
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Timely thread. I am considering a move from my G30 to an 8. Not sure yet on coupe or GC but I am considering a 840i coupe , carbon black with tartofu interior. Wife not fond of the tartofu so we will see.
While at the dealer I spied a Black on black and a white on black B8. Honestly the black on black was spectacular.
As for the particular car I am looking at it has mostly everything ex DAP and B&W. But it is very well priced.
What I have with Pre owned is it is really hard to find that exact spec. I am in no rush so may continue to search. Funny thing is hear in the mid-Atlantic there a very few to almost no 840 coupes.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #19
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I think the 8 is so well optioned out from the start that its more about whats IS popular vs unpopular for additional items.

I cant think of anything thats a deal breaker for me and I dont order cars, I just grab whats on the ground usually.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 2
peteinpa396.00
      06-18-2023, 01:39 PM   #20
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Honestly don’t have deep enough pockets for new in this category of vehicle. The one I am looking at is a 2022, if that does not work out I know I will find something that suits my needs.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #21
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteinpa View Post
Timely thread. I am considering a move from my G30 to an 8. Not sure yet on coupe or GC but I am considering a 840i coupe , carbon black with tartofu interior. Wife not fond of the tartofu so we will see.
While at the dealer I spied a Black on black and a white on black B8. Honestly the black on black was spectacular.
As for the particular car I am looking at it has mostly everything ex DAP and B&W. But it is very well priced.
What I have with Pre owned is it is really hard to find that exact spec. I am in no rush so may continue to search. Funny thing is hear in the mid-Atlantic there a very few to almost no 840 coupes.
If not a rush then definitely hold out for at least DAP and make sure if a 2020 it does not have the watered down DA package (ZDX vs full DA of ZDA). You'll want the 3D view camera of the full DA as the 8-series is a big car and vital for extra protection while parking. Especially for nose in parking (backing in is always recommended) as the stock front spoiler/bumper is low enough to hit every single parking space bumper out there.

B&W is fantastic but hard to find on anything with a mid 2021 build date through mid 2022 due to the chip shortage. Worth holding out for though if you're a music lover. If not the HK will more than get the job done and readily available plus some options to improve the sound with a speaker swap, etc.

I like Tartufo but it can be a little dark depending on the exterior and especially in a coupe due to the cabin size. Cognac is a great option for a lighter color but still in the brown category and it's not paired up with black like Tartufo. Sadly Silverstone is only on the M8s which has never made any sense to me as to why BMW doesn't offer a grey/silverish interior color on the 840/M850 as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 02:16 PM   #22
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I think the 8 is so well optioned out from the start that its more about whats IS popular vs unpopular for additional items.

I cant think of anything thats a deal breaker for me and I dont order cars, I just grab whats on the ground usually.
For me there are some wheel and interior choices I don't think I could do. I'm not fond of the 810 wheels for instance and I don't think I could do a red interior long term. I'm just now breaking out of all black into a 30% midrand interior afterall.
Appreciate 0