M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Remote 3D View in IOS App

01-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #23
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Fastest way is to use a VIN decoder. Try www.mdecoder.com

Key in last 7 letters/digits of your VIN and it will give you the actual day of production.
Appreciate 1
Wolfman64811.50
      01-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #24
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
I received info just now as a follow up from Genius saying there was a production issue on 8 series that were manufactured from 7/19-11/19 where certain aspects of the remote 3D software were not included (or something to that effect). I was told that they are placing a ticket to address on the back end of BMW's systems which may solve this issue for me, but there is now an update available at the dealers; when I asked for a campaign # the rep did not have that info. My vehicle was produced 6/19 which just falls outside of the range but the rep said it's so close to the dates that it may be affected. The beat goes on...
Not sure I would buy that as my M850i final build date was 10/24 and remote 3D view had been working up until this thread started. Since then I get various errors including one failed attempt that only included front, back and right side as the left side was missing with a message not all pictures could be returned. Tonight's attempt included no data connection (between server and car) which is BS as it is showing me current fuel, etc. or failure to hit the secure server.

Normally I use my Pixel 3 but for grins I fired the app up on my work phone which is a iPhone X. Unlike the Android app it did give me the message that the mirrors would unfold (checked the box not to show that again) and then complete failure. However, it stated you can only attempt a 3D view once every 2 hours.

Seriously? Obviously I had exceeded that with my initial Android app failures but why would the Android app claim "a function is blocking the request" or "not data connection"? Appears that BMW is having issues and your mileage may vary depending on iOS or Android.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Not sure I would buy that as my M850i final build date was 10/24 and remote 3D view had been working up until this thread started. Since then I get various errors including one failed attempt that only included front, back and right side as the left side was missing with a message not all pictures could be returned. Tonight's attempt included no data connection (between server and car) which is BS as it is showing me current fuel, etc. or failure to hit the secure server.

Normally I use my Pixel 3 but for grins I fired the app up on my work phone which is a iPhone X. Unlike the Android app it did give me the message that the mirrors would unfold (checked the box not to show that again) and then complete failure. However, it stated you can only attempt a 3D view once every 2 hours.

Seriously? Obviously I had exceeded that with my initial Android app failures but why would the Android app claim "a function is blocking the request" or "not data connection"? Appears that BMW is having issues and your mileage may vary depending on iOS or Android.
Don't know what to believe about this issue anymore, just wish BMW would get it straightened out as apparently it's been an issue going on +/- a year.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:35 PM   #26
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Stupid question. Where can I get to see the manufacturing date/week?
Sticker on driver's door jamb, but will only show month/year.

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:36 PM   #27
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. This is the only time I have seen actual working screen. Not great due to low light and dirty cameras...
So weird, mine shows disabled on app, yet enabled in car.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #28
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
Fastest way is to use a VIN decoder. Try www.mdecoder.com

Key in last 7 letters/digits of your VIN and it will give you the actual day of production.
Thanks! September 3rd 2019
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #29
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So weird, mine shows disabled on app, yet enabled in car.
This is what annoys me with the German car manufacturers (and I am German) that they just can't figure out how to develop reliable software services. This stuff isn't that difficult...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #30
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
And even if it was really really hard, at USD 120K and AUD 290K, it just has to work perfectly every time.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #31
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what annoys me with the German car manufacturers (and I am German) that they just can't figure out how to develop reliable software services. This stuff isn't that difficult...
I was told by BMW there is a brand new update available but it must be done at the dealership. I did inquire about a campaign # but the rep did not have access to it.

Appreciate 1
Wolfman64811.50
      01-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #32
BigMofoFrog
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Quote:
I was told by BMW there is a brand new update available but it must be done at the dealership. I did inquire about a campaign # but the rep did not have access to it.
Thank you, I'll call and check in with my dealer.
      01-25-2020, 12:41 AM   #33
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any updates?

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:33 PM   #34
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Was at the dealership today, service did an update (not the in car version) for Connect which was to correct the 3D view issue...it did not. Then they had the genius guy come by, he said for half of the customers it works and the other half it doesn't and it's been that way for quite sometime, he also said BMW has done nothing about it. Lovely...

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-06-2020 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #35
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Tried mine the other day and, in a weird way, the guy was right. It worked half the time. And it didn't work half the time. I'm serious.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #36
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the car but I couldn't get the Remote 3D view to work on my phone...

I probably think it's more of a gimmick than something I would actually use it still bugged me that I would get an error even though all required settings were enabled on the car.

Long story short, I spoke to the Connected Drive support today; the checked with the Genius team and they stated the service is disabled due to vendor issues.
And that has been the case since late April 2019...

Frankly I have a hard time believing that. Has anyone got this working on their 8 Series?
It worked perfectly on my '19 M5 Comp until say Aug last year when I sold it. Never worked on my '20.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #37
likegadgets
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

My M850i has a Prod. Date of 2019-06-07 (from decoding the VIN) Has the 3D feature and mostly worked. Lately it gets stuck in the Uploading pictures (with a Data connection error). It is a nice gimmick, but I have not found a real benefit.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #38
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by likegadgets View Post
My M850i has a Prod. Date of 2019-06-07 (from decoding the VIN) Has the 3D feature and mostly worked. Lately it gets stuck in the Uploading pictures (with a Data connection error). It is a nice gimmick, but I have not found a real benefit.
I used it outside of gimmick just once: I couldn't remember which floor of a multi story car park I parked on, so I used the 3D remote imaging to look around for the support beams and the floor number. It worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #39
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine's also a 6/19 production, has never worked from day one continually giving me the same message after all steps were completed and verified and after both in-car and workshop updates. Great concept, yet horrific implementation and follow through on BMW's part...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #40
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
That's where mine has been getting stuck about half the time. It is a nice gimmick, though the only time I've used it is when I have to keep an eye on my car while it's in the BMW service bay to determine to what extent they are lying when they tell me that "we are working on your car right this minute."
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11281.00
      02-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #41
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
That's where mine has been getting stuck about half the time. It is a nice gimmick, though the only time I've used it is when I have to keep an eye on my car while it's in the BMW service bay to determine to what extent they are lying when they tell me that "we are working on your car right this minute."
That's about what it is at this point.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #42
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I will report back once the software is updated to the latest rev. during 1200 mile service.

We'll see how this goes. Over the last few days, all remote services failed to work from the app. No unlock or remote start...

Genius asked me to reset the head unit after which the services started working again...

FWIW. it may be worth a reset.
Hold the Radio volume/mute button for at least 70 seconds (apparently important, no matter what happens on the screen).
Then select apps from the home screen. While on the app screen, press the options button below the iDrive controller.
There is an Update Apps option on the pop-up screen. If grayed out wait a few minutes and then try again. Press update.

When done, exit & lock the car.
Hopefully the camera works then. You should see the mirrors unfold; hopefully take the pics and fold again...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 05:39 PM   #43
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will report back once the software is updated to the latest rev. during 1200 mile service.

We'll see how this goes. Over the last few days, all remote services failed to work from the app. No unlock or remote start...

Genius asked me to reset the head unit after which the services started working again...

Hold the Radio volume/mute button for at least 70 seconds (apparently important, no matter what happens on the screen).
Then select apps from the home screen. While on the app screen, press the options button below the iDrive controller.
There is an Update Apps option on the pop-up screen. If grayed out wait a few minutes and then try again. Press update.

Hopefully the camera works then. You should see the mirrors unfold; hopefully take the pics and fold again...
Thanks, I shall give that a try in a few mins...

// EDIT: Ok, I tried —>
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #44
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Had the update done at the dealer last week, no change. I will try the reset, but I wont hold my breath.

Appreciate 0