M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Fully Enabling Laser Lights?

07-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Actually the requirements/testing the NHTSA adopted are more stringent than either the ECE or SAE J3069. The manufactures were lobbying to have them adopt the SAE standards (ECE is too loose) but they went with their own. They did significantly cut back on what was originally proposed thankfully since that would have set up a nightmare of testing scenarios.
Good to know and thanks for the info as was lead to believe the opposite. Here's to hoping BMW's anti-dazzle pass the mustard.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:07 PM   #24
K1984tx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X7 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I believe the law is to allow Anti-Dazzle or Non-Glare High Beam, not the laser strength.
Even with the law being passed, I don't think they are delivered with it fully enabled yet. I have coded car as early as last month delivery and it still not enabled by BMW.

Oh, and coding wise, BimmerCode can't do it. Only E-Sys and some other more advanced tools.
Can you PM me about coding for anti-dazzle and VLD for a 2022 X7
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13022.00
      07-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #25
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1984tx View Post
Can you PM me about coding for anti-dazzle and VLD for a 2022 X7
Your account doesn't accept PM.
Either enable it or email me and I'll reply with the details.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
K1984tx21.00
      07-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #26
K1984tx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 X7 x40i

Quote:
Your account doesn't accept PM.
Either enable it or email me and I'll reply with the details.
Sorry about that, new user here so I don't get access to PMs yet. I will shoot you an email.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13022.00
      07-29-2022, 07:01 PM   #27
Gasman1962
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 840i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG Prez View Post
Since the US laws have finally been updated, does anyone know if local dealers can enable all the functionality of the laser lights on a 2020 M8?

I had Ben (r33_RGSport) do it remotely for me this afternoon after work on my 2022 840i Gran Coupe. Super easy to do. Basically just connect a cable and he walks you through it. Charged $100 and enabled a couple other features as well. I now have fully enabled European Style Laser lights.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport13022.00
      07-30-2022, 04:44 AM   #28
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Are you able to enable full strength laser lights? You've already enabled the anti dazzle feature.
All the coding lines are in-line with European vehicle.
But, I can't confirm if it is enabling the laser at full strength as the European spec since I don't have European car in the US to compare it with side by side.

Until then, we won't know.
Am I wrong expecting that if the European version are "full strength" (meaning longer throw? Brighter? More lumens? Not sure what to call it…) and different than the US cars come currently that this would be easy to verify visually. Stick a car in a spot when it's dark and see how far the lights reach / how illuminated it is looking forward.. then code car and do the same and compare? Maybe that's easier said than done with someone else's car but seems like it should be obvious if there is a difference.

My car has laser lights now and I had an M550i before and actually had both at the same time for over a month. I didn't notice any different in the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 08:21 AM   #29
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Are you able to enable full strength laser lights? You've already enabled the anti dazzle feature.
But, I can't confirm if it is enabling the laser at full strength as the European spec since I don't have European car in the US to compare it with side by side.

Am I wrong expecting that if the European version are "full strength" (meaning longer throw? Brighter? More lumens? Not sure what to call it…) and different than the US cars come currently that this would be easy to verify visually. Stick a car in a spot when it's dark and see how far the lights reach / how illuminated it is looking forward.. then code car and do the same and compare? Maybe that's easier said than done with someone else's car but seems like it should be obvious if there is a difference.

My car has laser lights now and I had an M550i before and actually had both at the same time for over a month. I didn't notice any different in the headlights.
Seems like I just wasted my time and thumb muscles. 🤦🏻*♂️
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      07-31-2022, 06:21 PM   #30
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Seems like I just wasted my time and thumb muscles. 🤦🏻*♂️
Not sure I follow. Are you agreeing with my testing method as being reasonable or do you think I was being a dick in my answer?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 07:56 AM   #31
huwbee
Rep
Drives: 840i Msport gran coupe

I spec's laser lights on my 840i GC, They are brilliant !! When on they dance around oncoming traffic, "block" or compartmentalise" out cars in front so your lights almost appear to go round them. Only issue is the occasional truck driver who will flash as the lights don't differentiate between car and trucks when they are coming towards you. Distance illuminated is huge !! Best lights I have had on any car !! Am in UK btw
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 07:49 PM   #32
autobahnscott
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Convertible

I had my US car coded with anti-dazzle by Bimmer remote. They are based in Poland and did a great job. After a remote OTA I lost the anti-dazzle capability. I waited until the 2023 OTA update and had Bimmer remote recode the anti-dazzle. This time Bimmer remote said the coding would be permanent if there was another OTA. We’ll see. Don’t know if there was a change to the way BMW will apply OTA updates.
Appreciate 0