M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion coolant leak, line upgrades?

08-09-2023, 09:19 PM   #1
chancellorbeem
Private
Rep
Drives: 20' M850i Coupe

coolant leak, line upgrades?

Hey all,

I'm about to pick up a used 2019 m850i (25k miles) and want to do some preventive maintenance on it. I haven't seen it in person but the PPI noted that he smelled some coolant popping open the hood but couldn't find any leaks.

The used dealership selling it to me said they couldn't find any leaks either and said they cleaned under the hood (noted might have been some spilled there) and said no leaks (did a coolant flush too) after checking again.

How hard is it to get a dealership to swap out the potentially leaking lines with stronger/brass/aluminum parts? Sorry just a bit paranoid and want as least trouble as possible lol. I will be extending the warranty with the Platinum program too. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 11:51 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

They won't do what you are asking "upgrade" of the lines.. They will replace with OEM if a leak is found.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5948.50
      08-10-2023, 09:23 PM   #3
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancellorbeem View Post
Hey all,

I'm about to pick up a used 2019 m850i (25k miles) and want to do some preventive maintenance on it. I haven't seen it in person but the PPI noted that he smelled some coolant popping open the hood but couldn't find any leaks.

The used dealership selling it to me said they couldn't find any leaks either and said they cleaned under the hood (noted might have been some spilled there) and said no leaks (did a coolant flush too) after checking again.

How hard is it to get a dealership to swap out the potentially leaking lines with stronger/brass/aluminum parts? Sorry just a bit paranoid and want as least trouble as possible lol. I will be extending the warranty with the Platinum program too. Thanks!

I would suggest a custom 95C tstat
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 06:10 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
They won't do what you are asking "upgrade" of the lines.. They will replace with OEM if a leak is found.
That’s correct - unfortunately. BMW has been increasingly using plastic parts where constant cooling and heating cycles will cause the part to fail, usually after the lease expires. Coolant flange is one such part. Should be replaced after 30K miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 06:27 AM   #5
chancellorbeem
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Would it break the warranty to use more solid coolant lines?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 09:50 AM   #6
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Would it break the warranty to use more solid coolant lines?
No, Here in the US we are protected from companies simply saying you no longer have a warranty. There is nothing you can install on your vehicle that a company can legally say to you that your warranty if void if nothing is broken. I've had this happen once to my Ford I lifted a truck 2" and service told me if anything breaks my warranty was void. I asked for that to be in writing, got it sued them. I won due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Now 99% of people will never fallow through with pushing your own legal rights which is why the stigma exist around warranties.

A simple hose replacement you want to do and say your AC stops working they will have to prove that the part you replaced caused the AC to break.... That is how you need to think about it.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 11:46 AM   #7
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Well, let me tell you about my coolant leak. Was driving on interstate and the car goes into limp mode. Error of "chassis stabilization" came up on a warning on the dash. Thinking it was a serious drive-train issue, pulled over. Nothing seemed to be amiss. Car was put on flatbed and hauled to dealer.... It was discovered not a drive-train issue, but a coolant leak that some 25 cent clamp let coolant leak into a computer module that controls some drive train components. Short story, computer bank, wiring harnesses had to be replaced. In doing this, the motor had to be pulled out of engine bay. Car in shop for 10 days, waiting for parts, and it would have been a $5400 repair bill, thank goodness I had the warranty yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 03:34 PM   #8
chancellorbeem
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
Well, let me tell you about my coolant leak. Was driving on interstate and the car goes into limp mode. Error of "chassis stabilization" came up on a warning on the dash. Thinking it was a serious drive-train issue, pulled over. Nothing seemed to be amiss. Car was put on flatbed and hauled to dealer.... It was discovered not a drive-train issue, but a coolant leak that some 25 cent clamp let coolant leak into a computer module that controls some drive train components. Short story, computer bank, wiring harnesses had to be replaced. In doing this, the motor had to be pulled out of engine bay. Car in shop for 10 days, waiting for parts, and it would have been a $5400 repair bill, thank goodness I had the warranty yet.
Lol about to drive it 200 miles back home. Crossing my fingers
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #9
willie55912
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M850xi gran coupe

Quote:
Lol about to drive it 200 miles back home. Crossing my fingers
Just using my example on how repair costs can get out of hand with these cars when out of warranty. Of course, it is a crap shoot, but an expensive extended warranty can give piece of mind at least. Been my experience that when I had it, it was never used, when I did not have it, I got socked with some expensive bills.
Appreciate 0