M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion M8 tune options

08-05-2023, 05:25 PM   #1
gmannf15
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

M8 tune options

Hey you guys wanted to reach out and see what tunes everyone is running? I was planning on doing a piggy back but man same time I want send out dme tune but worried something goes wrong! Just wanted to see if the piggy back tunes are worth it?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
ctelimad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m8

Yes totally worth it
I had jb4 on my previous M8 for 3 years
Always on map 2 and running e30 and i put on the car 22000 miles with not a single issue
Once u drive it with piggy and u feel the power difference u can not go back to stock
That means it is significant and for less then a 1000$ totally worth it and u dont need more for the streets
Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 04:59 AM   #3
Bulent Ali
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: M8 competition coupe

Hi. How long have you owned the M8? Do you feel its under powered ? Is 617 USA or 625 UK bhp too little? Do you need to have an M8 more powerful than your friends ones? Own it and drive it as it is , is my personal advise . As reliable as piggy back tunes are , they do have issues as well . The best tune that should be done IF the ecu can be unlocked ( maybe in the future ) , is a ecu flash tune . This is something manufacturers do when they bring out a more "powerful " version if the same engine on a new model . Totally reliable. Piggy back tunes lie to the ecu into thinking ambient temp , fuel and boost . Ecu is setting all parameters to a new boost and fuel setting , boost and fuel at given rpm and gear.
This is my thinking only!
Appreciate 1
MACHT266.50
      08-06-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
SFfanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC Comp

Garage List
I’m on my second M8 (first one lost to a red light runner). I chose the Carbahn Stage 2 Kit that’s made up of Carbahns Stage 2 piggy back type controller (it takes less than 10 min to install) and their heat exchangers (took me 2 days to install). The car was much more fun to drive … and was still under powered in my opinion, but I prefer fast cars. The stock setup is fine, but underpowered in my opinion. I also installed Venturi intakes and plan to install secondary down pipes that I’ve purchased.

After that I’m thinking I’ll install intercoolers and unlock the DME’s for a custom tune to extract max power.

The car is all wheel drive. It can handle so much more than the stock numbers. Have fun with it. If you go with a piggy back, you’ll love the increase. Car feel muted without it now. If you go with DME unlock tune, you’ll have even more options to increase power. But I certainly wouldn’t shy away from doing either one. You’ll be happy you did!!!