M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion New 840i owner - Excited for the journey!

01-26-2024, 07:30 PM   #1
dreamybeamer
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Gran Coupe

First time BMW owner here. Just picked up my 2021 840i Gran Coupe today and couldn’t be more excited!

Been using this forum to do my homework and gather as much info as I can to make an informed decision and it really helped and made a difference in the buying process. Appreciate all the knowledge and the community already!

Any tips or best practices you all have for new owners would be much appreciated! Looking forward to this journey!
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
Tenac4574.00
snareman9162.00
Seaford1157.50
mikerx5464.50
POBA272.00
KB7120.00
      01-27-2024, 01:50 AM   #2
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Welcome! Great choice of car. Love those wheels too.

I’ve had a two 840i’s - a Mineral White Coupe, and now a Tanzanite Blue GC. Both fabulous cars. The B58 engine is amongst the best BMW have ever made, its smooth and quiet in everyday driving / cruising, but makes a great noise when you put your foot down and is plenty fast enough. It’s also incredibly efficient for a petrol engine - I easily see 40mpg on my motorway commutes for work.

Things I’d recommend - 1) avoid multi-storey car parks. 2) get PPF to the front end if you do a lot of motorway driving, as it’ll make a huge difference. My GC front bumper and bonnet still look brand new.
Appreciate 2
Seaford1157.50
      01-27-2024, 06:24 AM   #3
dreamybeamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Welcome! Great choice of car. Love those wheels too.

I’ve had a two 840i’s - a Mineral White Coupe, and now a Tanzanite Blue GC. Both fabulous cars. The B58 engine is amongst the best BMW have ever made, its smooth and quiet in everyday driving / cruising, but makes a great noise when you put your foot down and is plenty fast enough. It’s also incredibly efficient for a petrol engine - I easily see 40mpg on my motorway commutes for work.

Things I’d recommend - 1) avoid multi-storey car parks. 2) get PPF to the front end if you do a lot of motorway driving, as it’ll make a huge difference. My GC front bumper and bonnet still look brand new.
Thank you for the welcome and the info! I did a ton of research and saw the same sentiment across the board for the B58 engine! I’m excited for that!

Thanks also for the tips! Definitely looking into the PPF. Could you elaborate on the multi story car parks thing though? Is it to avoid potential dings from the other cars? Or is it a matter of it being too big for the tight spaces? I do a lot of traveling for work and park at the airport garages often so that one makes me curious on how to approach it.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 06:29 AM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

dreamybeamer in the UK our multi-storeys are just terribly designed - almost as if they’ve done it deliberately to get drivers to kerb their wheels! The entrances / exits are my biggest pet hates as they’re just so tight and the 8 is a wide old car. I personally like to park away from other people too, as I’ve seen first hand people just don’t care about other people’s property.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:34 AM   #5
dreamybeamer
Rep

Beemer5to3 Got ya! There’s definitely some poorly designed ones here but mostly just downtown. It’s one of those things I never had to think about until now but I will in regards to parking far away, etc!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 05:16 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Welcome and congrats on the 840i. You'll love it and as recommended definitely PPF the front-end, mirror caps and rockers at a minimum. +1 on your research here on the forum including a pic or it doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:13 AM   #7
Seaford
Permanently confused
Rep
Drives: 840i M Sport Gran Coupe

I have a 2020 840i GC with every option other than a tow bar.

All I will say is that I plan on keeping it for at least eight years.

Can’t think of any reason not to……for me it is a perfect blend of performance, luxury and economy.

Think for the size of the car the boot could be a bit bigger though…..
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 05:39 AM   #8
dreamybeamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Welcome and congrats on the 840i. You'll love it and as recommended definitely PPF the front-end, mirror caps and rockers at a minimum. +1 on your research here on the forum including a pic or it doesn't exist.
Thank you! PPF wasn’t even on my radar as I was considering doing a wrap but I think I’m going to keep the white and definitely look into the added protection! Appreciate the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 05:41 AM   #9
dreamybeamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaford View Post
I have a 2020 840i GC with every option other than a tow bar.

All I will say is that I plan on keeping it for at least eight years.

Can’t think of any reason not to……for me it is a perfect blend of performance, luxury and economy.

Think for the size of the car the boot could be a bit bigger though…..
After a couple days of driving, I’m definitely in love! My only thing is that it’s super hard not to speed lol, that’s going to take some getting used to haha As well as the size. I’m coming from a Jeep Wrangler and after driving that for a few years, it really is an adjustment on all levels, including the trunk
Appreciate 1
Seaford1157.50