M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Ventilated seats have gone LOUD, fan noise in seat

03-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
CarPhanatic
Rep
Drives: M850i 2019 coupe

Ventilated seats have gone LOUD, fan noise in seat

2019 March delivery m850xi on lease
edited: there is only 4000 miles on odometer!

Over past few days, the ventilated seats have gone haywire. When I put in the cool (blue) option, I noticed immediately that it sounded quite loud, as in heavy airflow. Moving to notch two, the sound and air is extreme. When to setting three it is unbearably loud, overtakes the cabin even at moderate sound volumes to high.

What is interesting is I notice this on driver and passenger side. Now admittedly I don't have the passenger side on typically at all, so this may be intended so I'm not sure, I just don't recall being so drawn to the noise.

However, what is most troublesome, is the very loud fan noise that I hear directly beneath my drivers seat. It is very loud, like a "burrrr" to the point I can feel almost the fan is running and sort of vibrating the seat some. When I sit up from the seat, the noise lessens somewhat but it is still very audible.

This noise, at least from the seat bottom is absolutely new to me after 2 years of owning. And the loud air volume noise seems much more excessive definitely then I recall in my few years of ownership. I typically could hear when I was on setting 3 that there was some increased fan noise, but this is much worse. And it seems noticeable on passenger side.

I have the July update from past summer and no updates since. Have driven past summer/fall without issue. Car has been driven now for past 2 weeks, issue seems to have just started recently, though I admit I had not used the ventilation much at all until past week.

Luckily my car is due for it's service,
curious if anyone has had this issue?

Has the seat cushion worn enough already that the cushion is rubbing the fan? I am 6"4 around 240lbs perhaps 260 now (thanks COVID!), is weight an issue? And should that be an issue?

thanks all!

Last edited by CarPhanatic; 03-12-2021 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
CarPhanatic
Rep
Drives: M850i 2019 coupe

bumpity bump

First and last bump

Still having same issues after resetting head unit and adjusting seating positions in various ways.

Curious if I"m the only one?
Will be scheduling service soon, I'll keep you all posted.
thanks
H
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Apologies as I've been meaning to post regarding your fan issue but have mostly been on mobile so I could not search for this thread: https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1770992. The video is no longer available but I watched it when the OP first posted and it is exactly the same scenario you are experiencing including pressing on the seat exacerbates the sound. Bottom line is you are not alone as at least one forum member has called out the same issue.
Appreciate 0