M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Alaska 1282 - Amazing job by the pilot

01-11-2024, 08:40 PM   #67
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Name:  Boeing_Max9.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  324.9 KB

Name:  Boeing_Max9.png
Views: 134
Size:  1.56 MB
vreihen1615278.50
M2siast5876.00
      01-12-2024, 05:48 AM   #68
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
"However, such a design could have added costs and practical disadvantages, some said."

Pretty sure I just highlighted the important part of that message from Boeing's point of view.
Built by the lowest bidder?????
      01-12-2024, 08:45 PM   #69
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
From the Brits forum. Those guys are hilarious!!
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Llarry15969.50
Lady Jane70861.50
vreihen1615278.50
      02-08-2024, 07:04 AM   #70
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Of course, I can't say with 100% certainty. But I'm still unconvinced that they're directly related— they may be separate lines of incidence.

What I meant in my previous posts that the plug was NOT giving a Door Open light (and is in fact, incapable of giving a light), but that the light the NTSB references was the auto-press controller indicating a failure in the pressurization system. Those two systems are not directly interrelated in that the door open/closed light system has no direct interaction with the auto-press controller— i.e. the systems are not hooked up together.

There are two cabin sensor ports that input into the pressurization controller, but those are different than the door open/closed lights.

There are a couple of things that make me go "hmmmm", though.

First is that you already have an outflow valve that's opening and closing to meter cabin pressurization. If there was a leak around the plug, the outflow valve would simply adjust its movement since it's already compensating for air exhausted through toilet and galley vents, miscellaneous fixed vents, and by seal leakage. In other words, if the plug was leaking like a door seal (which is usually noisy and irritating) it would probably be compensated for by the outflow valve metering the cabin altitude.

Also, the auto-press light (technically, Auto-Fail) illuminates for loss of DC power, a controller fault, an outflow valve control fault, excessive differential pressure (> 8.75 PSI), excessive rate of cabin pressure change (±2000 sea level feet/minute), high cabin altitude (above 15,800 [...]
Curious your updated thoughts on whether the cabin pressurization alarm was connected, with new information coming out. Prior riders reported a whistling noise around the area of the door plug. This one was a subscriber only article, will see if I can pick it up from one of the news services i pay for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:10 AM   #71
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Curious your updated thoughts on whether the cabin pressurization alarm was connected, with new information coming out. Prior riders reported a whistling noise around the area of the door plug. This one was a subscriber only article, will see if I can pick it up from one of the news services i pay for.
I've been off the planet for the past two week (wreck diving in Truk Lagoon), so I'm unsure what you're asking? I haven't been following this at all.

Yes, I could see there being some whistling from the door plug-- that wouldn't surprise me too much. But, if it happened, why wasn't someone notified? Or a maintenance inspection done? I'd imagine a passenger would tell a flight attendent-- who (since they fly on the things constantly and pass down the aisles about a gazillion times a flight) would probably notice if it sounded unusual. If it did at all, I'd expect them to tell the Captain.

As far as the "pressurization light"-- I'm not sure what the media's been reporting? Are we talking a "cabin press low" light? Or are we talking a "cabin pressure controller" light? They're two very different things.

R.
vreihen1615278.50
      02-14-2024, 05:23 PM   #72
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
It apparently isn't just Boeing that can't keep all of the doors on their planes. This Diamond DA-40 lost its left side rear door shortly after takeoff from Buffalo (NY) on Monday, and had to make an emergency return back to the airport:

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...9-f40a87d0ef2a

https://www.wgrz.com/embeds/video/re...f285716/iframe