M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion S6/S7 vs m850 GC

04-23-2023, 09:04 AM   #1
Dutt1113
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

S6/S7 vs m850 GC

I was wondering what people's thoughts are between these cars. I know these are not really the same class of car, but S7 kind of competes as they are both coupe looking performance luxury sedans. Did anyone cross shop these cars? I know this is a bmw forum but was hoping to get some open-minded opinions. The M850 has the performance edge, but the s6/s7 is no slouch. With a tune, they are probably equal. Interior quality I would say they are about equal. But Audi is a bit more modern and better looking In my opinion. Is BMW interior is becoming slightly dated? How will the m850 age in 4-5 years when bought used as a 2020 vs the 2020 S6/S7? Exterior wise it's a hard choice. In the used market the prices are all roughly the same Ballpark. There's just something about the Audi over all that I'm liking a bit better even though it's down on power. What are your thoughts?
      04-23-2023, 06:55 PM   #2
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutt1113 View Post
I was wondering what people's thoughts are between these cars. I know these are not really the same class of car, but S7 kind of competes as they are both coupe looking performance luxury sedans. Did anyone cross shop these cars? I know this is a bmw forum but was hoping to get some open-minded opinions. The M850 has the performance edge, but the s6/s7 is no slouch. With a tune, they are probably equal. Interior quality I would say they are about equal. But Audi is a bit more modern and better looking In my opinion. Is BMW interior is becoming slightly dated? How will the m850 age in 4-5 years when bought used as a 2020 vs the 2020 S6/S7? Exterior wise it's a hard choice. In the used market the prices are all roughly the same Ballpark. There's just something about the Audi over all that I'm liking a bit better even though it's down on power. What are your thoughts?

Several old threads on this with S7 previous owners as well as one that tested a 2022 and kept his M8C GC as the outcome. I chose the 2020 M850i over the RS6/RS7. Granted only could test drive a RS6 at the time but it was the watermark. To your point with a tune (if feasible aka not locked ECU) the Audis can likely compete with the M850i/M8.

However, from the cabin an especially the Infotainment aspect I'd give the nod to BMW. My M850i will be 4 years old this December and at least from my perspective the interior aesthetics are holding up well.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4565.00
      04-23-2023, 07:28 PM   #3
jargon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘22 M8Comp Cabriolet

I always considered Audi a distant 4th behind MB, Porsche and BMW, not in that order.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 06:35 PM   #4
Kurator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 GC Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutt1113 View Post
Both Audi and Mersedes are far far behind the BMW in terms of interior quality and reliability.
In fact, BMW became #1 in reliability, beating Lexus, Toyota and Acura pretty recently.
Audi interior is complete trash and Mersedes really have to step up their QC game...
Appreciate 2
MACHT263.50
      05-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #5
brlawyer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 840d Gran Coupé (G16)

Audis are slightly more luxurious VWs - enough said.

In fact, the only attractive Audi these days is the e-tron GT - not that I even remotely consider buying an EV, of course.
Appreciate 4
snowbimmer5291.50
MACHT263.50