M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Have you dialed back on eating fast food like McD's and such?

02-14-2024, 03:13 PM   #45
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
My kids & I like IO burgers and joke we are gonna bring our own fries cause yeah they are the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I dunno about the other stuff but I'm with you about in-n-out. It's not bad... but WAY overhyped. I don't understand the hype behind it. And the fries there are straight trash.
My FG order is grilled onions and grilled jalepenos, dk anywhere else thats possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Damn, I love me a triple-triple with grilled and raw onions, together with some animal fries. My favorite and the only fast food I’ll get these days.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317971.00
      02-14-2024, 03:17 PM   #46
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Anyone who can eat this stuff only occasionally I have the utmost respect for their discipline. The foods are so highly palatable with fat and salt that you are supposed to crave it whenever you are hungry. Here's the part I don't understand. Since the nutritional value is so low, don't you just feel hungry again 2 hours after consuming fast food fries or a big mac? I have not had it since the 90's, but I do feel hungry after I eat the occasional culvers.

Recently in Vegas this past summer we got Farmer Boy's. That place still delivers good fast food like I remembered in the early 2000's, relatively fresh and not dripping in grease, not to mention the size of the menu there is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:22 PM   #47
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Damn, I love me a triple-triple with grilled and raw onions, together with some animal fries. My favorite and the only fast food I’ll get these days.
They don't have In-n-Out where I live, but when I travel west I have gotten it from time to time. I don't mind getting a double with chopped chilis, animal style - it's a pretty tasty burger - not amazing by any stretch, but it's enjoyable.

But man the fries... I've tried them as is, I've tried them animal style, I've tried them well done with animal style.... they just taste like cardboard. I don't understand it.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:23 PM   #48
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Alternatively McD has a menu item for a "basket" of fries - they could potentially just be serving the basket of fries order but in the large fry carton
A secret menu item around our region is BK's bag of ice. They sell huge bags (waaaay larger than convenience store offerings) of *fresh* ice straight out of their ice makers for $1.99. Someone that my DW saw at her job tipped her off to this last fall, and she has picked up ice at three different stores now. The cashiers didn't know about it any time, but asked their managers who showed them how to punch it into the register (and where to get the ice bags to fill).

Don't know if Mickey D's or the other chains do the same thing.....
      02-14-2024, 03:26 PM   #49
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
They don't have In-n-Out where I live, but when I travel west I have gotten it from time to time. I don't mind getting a double with chopped chilis, animal style - it's a pretty tasty burger - not amazing by any stretch, but it's enjoyable.

But man the fries... I've tried them as is, I've tried them animal style, I've tried them well done with animal style.... they just taste like cardboard. I don't understand it.
Agree the fries are ‘different’ but delicious when done animal style. Their hamburgers are great but that’s just my opinion.
      02-14-2024, 03:34 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
^ I disagree. Around here Carls Jr. and Jack in the Box suck, at least the last time I was there. And KFC is a greasy mess. To each their own, I guess.
Hmm, just from my recollection, but those 2 chains never let me down. Ya, re KFC, the quality does somewhat depend on the location. We have some pretty good ones here.

Quote:
I dunno about the other stuff but I'm with you about in-n-out. It's not bad... but WAY overhyped. I don't understand the hype behind it. And the fries there are straight trash.
Yup, crazily-overhyped, but like you said, it's alright. LOL re the fries, agree too, they are like McD's ugly stepchild.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:39 PM   #51
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Yeah get the KFC or Popeyes craving every so often, but geez how exp it's gotten, a family bucket is like $50.
Yup, it's gotten crazy expensive here too, that's why I pigged-out when they had an awesome offer for CAD10: 3 pieces, 2 fries, 2 popcorn chicken...I bought 4. Someone at head office must've misprinted something haha.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:40 PM   #52
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Yup, crazily-overhyped, but like you said, it's alright. LOL re the fries, agree too, they are like McD's ugly stepchild.
I will say when McDonald’s fries are good they are VERY good, but they’re not consistent. Sometimes cold, sometimes not crisp, etc. That’s one of the things I like about In-N-Out Burger, always consistent, like ‘em or not.
      02-14-2024, 04:10 PM   #53
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Bruh their fries are bomb. Add a bit more salt.
Normal fast food fries are too processed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:27 PM   #54
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I will say when McDonald’s fries are good they are VERY good, but they’re not consistent. Sometimes cold, sometimes not crisp, etc. That’s one of the things I like about In-N-Out Burger, always consistent, like ‘em or not.
McD's fries haven't been good for the longest time, in addition to inconsistency. BK, KFC/PFK haha, plus many, many others are better imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:37 PM   #55
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
McD's fries haven't been good for the longest time, in addition to inconsistency. BK, KFC/PFK haha, plus many, many others are better imo.
Well, I guess it really is to each their own. Btw, I think BK are a cheap imitation of McDonald’s fries.

And on and on we go. LOL
      02-14-2024, 04:48 PM   #56
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, I guess it really is to each their own. Btw, I think BK are a cheap imitation of McDonald’s fries.

And on and on we go. LOL
Ya, for sure, there's no right answer, even though I'll go to my grave defending the Colonel lmao.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43734.50
      02-14-2024, 04:58 PM   #57
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
I think the downfall of fries was from phasing out trans fats, places moving away from peanut oil, and other factors.

IO fries are cut fresh in store and fried in sunflower oil I think? DK why the same process in my house produces better results...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:22 PM   #58
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

The problem with In-N-Out fries is the way they're cooked. They wash the potatoes, slice them then throw them, WET, into the fryer. If they dried them off some, they'd probably be better.

This is MHO.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615268.00
      02-14-2024, 05:27 PM   #59
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
At one point many moons ago, BK had an ad campaign pitching their new french fries that were coated in starch (???) to make them crispier than Mickey D's fries. Anyone else remember those fries?????
      02-14-2024, 05:36 PM   #60
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
At one point many moons ago, BK had an ad campaign pitching their new french fries that were coated in starch (???) to make them crispier than Mickey D's fries. Anyone else remember those fries?????
Yeah... they SUCKED!!!!!!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-14-2024, 05:36 PM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
The problem with In-N-Out fries is the way they're cooked. They wash the potatoes, slice them then throw them, WET, into the fryer. If they dried them off some, they'd probably be better.

This is MHO.
Yup, I pretty much perfected homefries despite my poor airfryer being dead, my oven ones are good for what they are...gotta soak in salty water for a bit, then dry, then oil/season and then cook.

Quote:
Ya, I guess it's starch and they are definitely crunchier than others.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00
      02-14-2024, 06:02 PM   #62
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
I always request them to make me a fresh batch of fries. Usually they're accommodating and I'll get freshly cooked fries which are incredibly delicious pretty much every time.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 06:05 PM   #63
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Anyone who can eat this stuff only occasionally I have the utmost respect for their discipline. The foods are so highly palatable with fat and salt that you are supposed to crave it whenever you are hungry. Here's the part I don't understand. Since the nutritional value is so low, don't you just feel hungry again 2 hours after consuming fast food fries or a big mac? I have not had it since the 90's, but I do feel hungry after I eat the occasional culvers.

Recently in Vegas this past summer we got Farmer Boy's. That place still delivers good fast food like I remembered in the early 2000's, relatively fresh and not dripping in grease, not to mention the size of the menu there is insane.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And on and on we go. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
I think the downfall of fries was from phasing out trans fats, places moving away from peanut oil, and other factors.

IO fries are cut fresh in store and fried in sunflower oil I think? DK why the same process in my house produces better results...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Yeah... they SUCKED!!!!!!
McDonald’s used to have the best fries hands down!! What killed them was the health craze and McDonald’s quit using lard. It may be a four letter word, but lard is what made a lot of things really good!!

After a few years BK tried to replicate McDonald’s old fries by coating their fries to make them crispy. As was said, it was a poor substitution.

We may not want the fat these days, but so far no one has duplicated what a good dose of lard could offer.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-15-2024, 06:43 AM   #64
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Between the major burger chains... I think Five Guys wins (as long as you are willing to risk a heart attack)... with a close second to Whataburger (at least that is still cheap).

In and out was a huge disappointment to me... and shake shack is straight junk outside of the fries.
      02-15-2024, 11:34 AM   #65
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
McDonald’s used to have the best fries hands down!! What killed them was the health craze and McDonald’s quit using lard. It may be a four letter word, but lard is what made a lot of things really good!!

After a few years BK tried to replicate McDonald’s old fries by coating their fries to make them crispy. As was said, it was a poor substitution.

We may not want the fat these days, but so far no one has duplicated what a good dose of lard could offer.
You sure you made enough quotes there buddy?

Ya, the 'health craze' is crazy indeed, just another way for them to charge more expensive stuff. Doesn't even make sense, e.g. diet ice cream???

That being said, a lot of Western diet is extremely fattening: is there anything healthy besides chicken soup and plain salad? LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:46 AM   #66
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...is there anything healthy besides chicken soup and plain salad? LOL.
Plain steamed vegetables.

Last edited by Esteban; 02-15-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615268.00