M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Why Amazon Prime?

09-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #45
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

There seems to be a lot of issues that aren't really applicable here, e.g.:
-I sure hope ppl are shopping at Amazon because they couldn't find the item elsewhere and/or it's the cheapest (incl any shipping)
-any decent retailer would make it right if the item is defective, regardless of Prime or other status
-for sure time is $ and some ppl place more importance on this and that's great, but if reg shipping times are getting better and the reverse is happening for Prime members AND the Prime cost is going up, then it's becoming less of a cogent argument sticking w that
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 02:35 PM   #46
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I look at it from how much I make per hour. A single trip to a local store allows me not to have to take time off from work to get something and easily makes up for the annual cost. It’s not like I am in walking distance to a WalMart, Best Buy or other retailer.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615271.00
Th3Walrus340.50
      09-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #47
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I look at it from how much I make per hour. A single trip to a local store allows me not to have to take time off from work to get something and easily makes up for the annual cost. It’s not like I am in walking distance to a WalMart, Best Buy or other retailer.

This, and I can shop from the comfort of my air conditioned home and not have to go out in the heat
Appreciate 4
Esteban43736.00
vreihen1615271.00
c1pher4671.50
      09-10-2023, 04:53 PM   #48
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
This, and I can shop from the comfort of my air conditioned home and not have to go out in the heat
Yep, I agree. A few clicks and it’s here the next day.

Most of the time…
      09-10-2023, 06:25 PM   #49
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

My Amazon Prime membership is $99 for the year.

It`s worth every penny. The convenience of nothing getting out of the house to get something that I don`t need at that moment and can wait a day for it, "Priceless"
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 06:29 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Guys, guys, I totally agree w the convenience of online shopping, but we're talking about reg vs Prime here, so there's no difference in that aspect, it's literally the same thing save for the supposed 'guaranteed' time of arrival.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 06:39 PM   #51
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Guys, guys, I totally agree w the convenience of online shopping, but we're talking about reg vs Prime here, so there's no difference in that aspect, it's literally the same thing save for the supposed 'guaranteed' time of arrival.
Prime is free shipping on almost every item you buy. If are buying an item from China then it might not be free shipping. No Amazon prime, no free shipping. That`s the difference, and don`t forget same day or next day delivery 99% of the time.
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2023, 06:51 PM   #52
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wauly View Post
Prime is free shipping on almost every item you buy. If are buying an item from China then it might not be free shipping. No Amazon prime, no free shipping. That`s the difference, and don`t forget same day or next day delivery 99% of the time.
Ding ding ding..We have a winner
That is the biggest reason for me for prime membership. Free shipping with no minimum purchase. I believe the minimum order for non Prime members is $35.00 to get free shipping.

I just bought a kitchen sink mat (I know, exciting). Was $24.00. Without prime I would be looking for something else to pad my purchase to $35.00 to get free shipping. Probably 50% of my purchases are on cheap items like this.
The main benefit for me. Shipping speed is secondary.
      09-10-2023, 06:56 PM   #53
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wauly View Post
I already explained that I can easily make the CAD35 threshold for free shipping, not sure what you're reading or missed reading. I also said I prefer the shipper to be Amazon.
Appreciate 2
nazali1309.50
      09-11-2023, 09:26 AM   #54
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

I am a BIG Amazon fan, I am a super freak, since I started using amazon I never looked back, then I got PRIME, holy orgasm's batman, no postage&packing, usually next day, and I get prime video... reacher, hells kitchen

My various projects are always being fulfilled

ONLY ONCE was not protected by amazon when it wasn't a prime product.

ONLY grip it's impossible to talk to a real person, even on chat

well worth the monthly !

next to sex drugs rock&roll and my BMW, Amazon prime is right up there
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 09:30 AM   #55
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassWholeBimmer View Post
Ding ding ding..We have a winner
That is the biggest reason for me for prime membership. Free shipping with no minimum purchase. I believe the minimum order for non Prime members is $35.00 to get free shipping.

I just bought a kitchen sink mat (I know, exciting). Was $24.00. Without prime I would be looking for something else to pad my purchase to $35.00 to get free shipping. Probably 50% of my purchases are on cheap items like this.
The main benefit for me. Shipping speed is secondary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
vreihen1615271.00
      09-11-2023, 09:33 AM   #56
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I've stopped spending money on delivery and got free NEXT DAY delivery and REACHER !!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #57
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
If you don't use the music or Amazon streaming it isn't worth it. During Covid I went from receiving stuff in 2-3 days to now I'm lucky if I get it in a week. There are plenty of Amazon warehouses nearby so it isn't that. There are some things I have also stopped ordering from Amazon, simply because they can't package them right and they always show up damaged.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      09-11-2023, 11:27 AM   #58
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
This was a big issue for me with sub & save items. Can boxes with just a label on them opened up somewhere in the process and were all dented, thrown back in the box and taped. Once a big box of garbage bags with just a label opened in the process, must of rolled out all down the conveyor, they were shoved back in a taped. In all times they gave refund and keep the stuff or sent replacement. Think there has been so many complaints they have fixed it, now all my S&S items are back to arriving in boxes with other stuff. Problem with perishable items, return not avail and you have to navigate the complications to contact someone to get an exception. Like any retailer you also have to pay attention to exp dates, there is no attention paid to them shipping you expired products.

Now this month 1/2 my S&S items were late or haven't even arrived yet, usually first few days of the month, now its the 11th. I think S&S is prime only and its really helpful for household items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
There are some things I have also stopped ordering from Amazon, simply because they can't package them right and they always show up damaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 12:06 PM   #59
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Surprised so many dont feel Prime is worth it. I think it is worth every penny and probably the single best membership I have. I can literally order anything in the world from car parts to underwear and it will arrive with free shipping generally in a day or two. Returns are also super easy and free just dropping at my local UPS store. Light bulbs, toilet paper, and tent for camping? No problem, will arrive tomorrow. Kids water shoes, garden hose, and sunglasses? Coming right up. I probably have at least one Amazon delivery every day. With kids and a busy life, the amount of time saved not having to go to the store for every little item is invaluable. G-d bless Amazon. Also, 5% back when you pay with the Amazon store card.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615271.00
nazali1309.50
      09-11-2023, 01:53 PM   #60
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I have Prime and if the price keeps going up, I'd also have to consider whether to keep paying for it.

But the free and promised delivery windows is the main draw for me. I count on that delivery window to be fairly accurate as I have items shipped to my vacation home where there is no sales tax. The savings with that added up over the year is pretty significant. But as others have noted, Amazon has missed their promised delivery window on a number of occasions to my vacation home. So now I add a day cushion which has pretty much taken into account any possible delays. The interesting thing is lately the deliveries have been on time.

Whether I get this treatment or not if I am a Prime member, it's definitely appreciated. I ordered an Eotech 512 reflex optic from Amazon as an open box to save some money. I receive the package and it's empty. I pretty much $hit my pants and was very upset. Immediately contacted Amazon and they refunded my money in full.

Another situation which I have to laugh about a little. I got on chat with them over a coupon code that wouldn't work for a Fire TV stick. Rep said purchase it and when you take delivery of the item to contact them again so I would be issued a refund for the coupon amount. So I did this and the rep at the time said they're unable to issue a cash refund to my Amazon credit card. Rep asked if it was ok to give me a refund as a gift card. I said ok. As the rep went through the terms of the refund, I caught where the gift card refund would only work for products bought directly from Amazon and not from retailers using Amazon to fulfill their orders. I pitched a fit about this. Rep then relented and said he's issuing a full refund for the Fire TV stick, I am able to keep it, and that I would still get the $20 credit for purchases directly from Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 06:51 AM   #61
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I disagree, the free shipping next day, if you get stuff on a "fairly" regular basis pays for the monthly.

I often buy stuff from Ama. before even trotting out to home depot or lowes for example. I'm able to search a MASSIVE SKU and get it next day

Prime video is just the cherry on top, DD doesnt want the e-books and youtube satisfies my musical wants and desires.

I've had no packaging issues with amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
If you don't use the music or Amazon streaming it isn't worth it. During Covid I went from receiving stuff in 2-3 days to now I'm lucky if I get it in a week. There are plenty of Amazon warehouses nearby so it isn't that. There are some things I have also stopped ordering from Amazon, simply because they can't package them right and they always show up damaged.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615271.00
      09-12-2023, 06:57 AM   #62
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

THIS,

OH always asks for me to get crap, yes dear, next day, sure dear

I always go on the premise that YOUR time costs money.

If your working on a car or project your hourly rate could be anywhere between $40-$90 / hour

Even if you work in mac'd at $15/hour

Going to the shop, gas, parking, wear and tear and an hours worth, and easy 20-30 bucks there

Time you waste going to pp something is time your wasting not having sex, getting drunk, doing drugs, not working on your project.

Time saved you just can't quantify

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
With kids and a busy life, the amount of time saved not having to go to the store for every little item is invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:32 AM   #63
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
When I made a recent small order from Amazon, somewhere in the process I was not careful enough and they signed me up for Prime, which I have carefully avoided for many years. Fortunately, they then sent me an email with "Welcome to Amazon Prime!" etc. and I cancelled right away. So I'm now on 30 days of free Prime membership. I don't see much benefit to me and definitely do not care for the cost/benefit ratio. I know we have some members who are big fans of Prime -- no problem: You do you and I'll do me.
      01-30-2024, 07:17 AM   #64
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

I regularly purchase items from Amazon and my orders are always over the $35 threshold for free shipping. So it arrives a day or two later than Prime.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15947.50
      01-30-2024, 07:22 AM   #65
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
I regularly purchase items from Amazon and my orders are always over the $35 threshold for free shipping. So it arrives a day or two later than Prime.
Yes, that's what I do as well. Saves us a hundred-plus a year in Prime fees. Win!
      01-30-2024, 07:32 AM   #66
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I've had Prime for years, and even though they are upping the price I won't be changing. Why? They kiss my arse. Not sure how many times I've had Amazon do the work when I buy something that I'm having issues returning (overseas sellers), but Amazon just gives me my money back without sending the item back. And every time I call in they offer me $10 for my trouble. I imagine Prime ends up costing me very little on a yearly basis with how much I buy.

I will say that overall Amazon prices and shipping have gotten worse, so I price-check them on every item, but there just isn't anything I can do about the shipping.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15947.50
vreihen1615271.00