M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Switching steering wheels for G80?

01-24-2024, 04:40 PM   #1
Alex8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 840i Gran Coupe

Switching steering wheels for G80?

Hi all,

I have a 840i Gran Coupe from 2020, with the OEM steering wheel which has heated steering + active lane keep (with the led lights on both the right and left side of the steering wheel)

My steering wheel is kinda worn out, and I saw a listening for a brand new g80 M3 steering wheel near me. It has the same button layout, with heated steering as well. Obviously it has the m1/m2 buttons too.

I’m conscious that the m1/m2 buttons won’t be functional, but other than that, can I buy it and fit it into my car, and retain all my normal features?

Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:05 AM   #2
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

There may be some coding required if it’s a different part number, but also the plugs may also be different with the additional M1/M2 buttons - someone may know better than me.

Why not just get it re-trimmed? That’s my plan - my wheel is fine, I just want the tri-colour stitching put in it, and perhaps perforated leather on the sides.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:07 AM   #3
Alex8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 840i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
There may be some coding required if it’s a different part number, but also the plugs may also be different with the additional M1/M2 buttons - someone may know better than me.

Why not just get it re-trimmed? That’s my plan - my wheel is fine, I just want the tri-colour stitching put in it, and perhaps perforated leather on the sides.
Thanks! I’m hoping that’s not the case…
As to why I’m not getting it re trimmed, the retrimmers say the heating function will be destroyed if they try
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 05:24 AM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Are you UK based? I’ve got a quote from Royal steering wheels and they can do it no problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:06 AM   #5
Justao
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex8 View Post
Thanks! I’m hoping that’s not the case…
As to why I’m not getting it re trimmed, the retrimmers say the heating function will be destroyed if they try
Heating function lost if re-trimmed? First time I hear this… I would definitely not use them
Appreciate 0