M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Help purchasing M850i

02-25-2021, 03:48 AM   #1
Camissa
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i, BMW X1

Help purchasing M850i

I need some help purchasing an M850i. BMW South Africa has a 2019 demo model with 1100 km on the clock that they sell for 20% off RSP.

Was there any technical upgrade from 2019 until today I would miss if I don’t buy a new car?

Are there any „need to have“ options? I like in the demo car I drove to set the mode to sports individual, transmission and engine in comfort setting, suspension and steering in sports.

What is the rebate situation elsewhere? I hate the value depreciation compared with a 911

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Like any demo, it's been broken in the hard way, but many think nothing of that. 2019's are just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camissa View Post
I need some help purchasing an M850i. BMW South Africa has a 2019 demo model with 1100 km on the clock that they sell for 20% off RSP.

Was there any technical upgrade from 2019 until today I would miss if I don’t buy a new car?

Are there any „need to have“ options? I like in the demo car I drove to set the mode to sports individual, transmission and engine in comfort setting, suspension and steering in sports.

What is the rebate situation elsewhere? I hate the value depreciation compared with a 911

Thanks for any help!
If the M850i has all the right packages there is no difference between a 2019, 2020 or 2021. If it has the 3D view camera system and Driving Assistance Professional that is inclusive of all the technology packages. On the 2020s heated/cooled seats became standard but on a 2019 that was an optional comfort seating package.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
Camissa
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:29 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Thank you!
The 2019 is actually preferable because it isn't reduced power exhaust from the new emissions controls.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:08 AM   #6
Camissa
Rep

The car is being delivered to my dealer. Hopefully we can look at how the engine was treated. With a 911 you could see the rpm on a chart and zoom into the peaks, check the oil temp there, etc. I am sure the dealership can do that with the M850i too.

The car has many options I probably would not have chosen, but that make it an extra nice car. Carbon roof and carbon kit, black high gloss, the diamond sound system, night vision etc.

If the engine is ok, I am going to pull the trigger on this one. After 20 years driving various 911s, I am in for a more luxurious car that is optimized for having fun on the normal roads.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
The car is being delivered to my dealer. Hopefully we can look at how the engine was treated. With a 911 you could see the rpm on a chart and zoom into the peaks, check the oil temp there, etc. I am sure the dealership can do that with the M850i too.

The car has many options I probably would not have chosen, but that make it an extra nice car. Carbon roof and carbon kit, black high gloss, the diamond sound system, night vision etc.

If the engine is ok, I am going to pull the trigger on this one. After 20 years driving various 911s, I am in for a more luxurious car that is optimized for having fun on the normal roads.
yes, the computer can show the revs and everything in what happened to the bmw with a pre purchase report.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
Andycam
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i xDrive Coupé

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm in Sweden and I got a demo 2019 with 950 km on it in December from the original authorized BMW dealer, with a 37% rebate on MSRP. Same equipment as yours, as I understand it this was the "lauch spec" cars that BMW distributed to dealers once the model came out. Can I guess it's blue?

I wasn't aware that you could do that computer readout, sounds like a good thing. I was also hesitant about getting a demo as I like to drive in cars gently and I know how cars are handled when people (myself included) test drive... But I got the dealer to extend the new car factory warranty by an additional 2 years free of charge, and that alleviated my stress

3000 km and 3 months later I'm supremely satisfied, apart for the low ground clearance that gives me grey hairs as I polish the floors in car parks it's an absolutely wonderful car.

As for technical upgrades, check your SW version. On delivery I was on an 11/2018 software and missing Android Auto, energizing car, features in the cruise control, no possibility for Drive Recorder etc. The car said it was on the latest SW version and no updates available and so did BMW Sweden when they checked. I handed it in to the dealer and said Android Auto wasn't working, and they managed to update the SW to 11/2020 which gave a lot of additional features. As for the change in exhaust note noted in other threads, I personally like the car to be silent in comfort and not always be loud on startup, and much prefer the added features of the new software.

Good luck with your purchase!
/Andreas
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #9
Camissa
Rep

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Can I guess it's blue?
Off course it is, and it looks fabulous.

The car is mine now. It had less than 200 km on the clock. I have the 11/2020 software now too. I also like the more silent car - i am happy the way it is now. I use sports individual, with engine and transmission set to comfort and steering and suspension set to sport.

My car has “Adaptive M Suspension Professional”, which the demo car I tried for a couple of days didn’t have. That totally changes the behavior of the car and makes it so much better.

I took delivery this morning and couldn’t be happier.

Regards from sunny Cape Town,
Ecki
Appreciate 0