M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Perfect for me

02-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Perfect for me

I hope this helps those still on fence about picking up the last 2020s...

So after about 15 years of trying almost everything under the sun and about 1500 miles in 1.5 months:

B7 RS4
E92 M3 DCT
W204 C63
F80 M3
M2
F10 M5 (wife's car)
W213 E63S
I8
Mac 570S
987 Cayman R Manual
981 Boxster GTS Manual
V10 Manual R8
V12 Manual Vanatge
997 TTS
991 GT3

Gotta say the M8 is damn near perfect...for a very specific segment of the market

It is an aggressive grand tourer. Fast as sh*t, quick enough for occasional backroad driving, and pretty comfy for long trips.

Being 47, loving to play golf, not a big fan of track days, remote working, no kids, drive alone 99% of time, not big into attention, love technology, I could not have designed a better car for my needs.

The trunk is excellent for a place to put my clubs (clubs in the back seat of a 911 is a major PIA). I love my back seat as a storage area Wireless Apple CarPlay is really really nice for those of us who care. I have been in BMW family for a while so I am comfortable with the cabin layout and don't feel it "not as luxury" because platform is shared across all vehicles. The leather is nice, the heaters everywhere are nice, and seats are really nice. All of the switch gear is as nice as MAC or AM and comparable with MB.

Despite the "Mustangish" shape, I love the way the car looks and sits. The rear is the best. I think the front facia could more aggressive like Porsche GT cars, wider at the bottom, but I think most sports cars need that. Love/hate the wheels depending on the day so will probably do something there.

The exhaust note is nice, not AMG, but good. Used to care a lot more about that but guess I am just getting old. I am really surprised at the ride. It is firm, but hardly ever crashes. I have driven to Monterey from Bay Area 3X already, which is over 3 hours round trip, awesome drives.

The power is sweet; it really shines on the highways, large and small. It pulls more than the E63S and feels less skittish (E63s rode rough AF). Probably fastest car I have owned. The 997 TTS was fast, but it was so light it got scary very quick. The MAC would lag unless you cranked it up with no DSC. All in all, best all around performance car that I have owned.

I considered a 991 TT or TTS, 992 CS, 992 TT or TTS (eye watering prices and performance right now), but having a trunk made the biggest difference over better driving dynamics, in very specific situations (tight backroads or track). Also, after going back and forth
with manuals, I realized it is only really fun for a bit, not for the type of driving I mostly do now.

From what I have learned from my car ADD over the years is that our car choices are very personal. Everyone can write, blog, or vlog all day about how Porsche GT cars (or whatever brand/car is the hot sh*t currently) are the best driver's cars, with mind bending performance, and every time you get in, it is an experience, but in the end, everyone has their own personal connections with their cars. I can't expect a similar experience with the Cayman R with bucket seats, no AC, 6 speed with short throw, tune, and full exhaust to my M8. Every car I had was cool, but I eventually moved on.

I just the search for the perfect car, was not the search for the "best performance car in my budget" but what car I wanted to do everything for my needs. For those of us with limited garage space, I think the M8 is pretty awesome.

With that said...if I did not play golf...and if Covid didn't inflate prices so much...I would do a 991 TTS or wait for the 992 TTS to come on the used market. I feel that those are as close to a perfect car in terms of performance, comfort, looks, and value today.

Take it easy and maybe bump into any of you during a round of golf!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Great looking car. Congratulations!

I went through your same decision making process. Loved my 991TT but hated the golf bag shuffle. Clubs even fit in the trunk of a M8 convertible.

Maybe we should start a M8 golfer club.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Great looking car. Congratulations!

I went through your same decision making process. Loved my 991TT but hated the golf bag shuffle. Clubs even fit in the trunk of a M8 convertible.

Maybe we should start a M8 golfer club.
Yes! LOL. Not only a pain to load, but also you pretty much scuff the crap out the back and the stupid click clack noises while driving and winter golf means dirty bags too in Cali.

I was able to fit my push cart easily into the frunk on the 911 though which was nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Nice looking car and write up, enjoy...
Appreciate 0