M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion 2021 M850iX Convertible Review - week 1

02-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #1
JLMD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M401

2021 M850iX Convertible Review - week 1

Let me start off and say I love this car. It is a great combination of ride, speed, comfort and style. I would also say that virtually every review of this car has been spot on - there is nothing that is remarkably differentiated but that is ok. It is a great car to drive and experience. Sadly, it will not be a great commercial success - in the world of SUVs, emergence of electric vehicles, an open top GT car has a diminishing audience. That's too bad.
A few specific comments:
1) BMW could have done a bit more to make the product more "polished" - eg - leather or alcantara on the A-pillars, including full Merino as standard, a little more flash to the "puddle light projection"
2) The B+W upgrade is only meaningful for "bling" - in a convertible it is not really about the music.
Will continue to update the review as we live with the car!
Aloha
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
BMW Lunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMD View Post
Let me start off and say I love this car. It is a great combination of ride, speed, comfort and style. I would also say that virtually every review of this car has been spot on - there is nothing that is remarkably differentiated but that is ok. It is a great car to drive and experience. Sadly, it will not be a great commercial success - in the world of SUVs, emergence of electric vehicles, an open top GT car has a diminishing audience. That's too bad.
A few specific comments:
1) BMW could have done a bit more to make the product more "polished" - eg - leather or alcantara on the A-pillars, including full Merino as standard, a little more flash to the "puddle light projection"
2) The B+W upgrade is only meaningful for "bling" - in a convertible it is not really about the music.
Aloha
GreAt write up and congrats !

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES OF YOUR BEAUTY ?
      02-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Thanks for sharing your experience and great to see another convertible (they are increasing in numbers) so we get a great mix here. Fully agree on the full merino - this should be standard on such a flagship model. There may not be many around but this aspect makes them more exclusive! At least I prefer to have a ride that is less common around than one that is. Just a little bit more REAR space so that one could at least sit there would have been more than desirable. For me this is the main and probably the only real letdown unless you opt for the GC variant.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
A few specific comments:
Aloha
In regards to #1 the $600 alcantara option puts it everywhere including the A-pillars at least on the coupe variant that I own. I also paid for the full leather so your point is well taken that it should be standard (currently only in a M8C).

I also completely understand #2 as with the top down the acoustics definitely takes a hit and in HI that's likely every day driving for you. However, in the coupe the B&W translates into significantly more than the "bling" via the lighting as the soundscape is phenomenal. You might want to play with configuring the sound profile and EQ for your top down driving experience as at the end of the day even in that environment it will outshine the stock H&K. Happy to help you through that process.

Enjoy the drive!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Quote:
A few specific comments:
Aloha
In regards to #1 the $600 alcantara option puts it everywhere including the A-pillars at least on the coupe variant that I own. I also paid for the full leather so your point is well taken that it should be standard (currently only in a M8C).

I also completely understand #2 as with the top down the acoustics definitely takes a hit and in HI that's likely every day driving for you. However, in the coupe the B&W translates into significantly more than the "bling" via the lighting as the soundscape is phenomenal. You might want to play with configuring the sound profile and EQ for your top down driving experience as at the end of the day even in that environment it will outshine the stock H&K. Happy to help you through that process.

Enjoy the drive!
The headliners isn't an option for the convertible; but we do have the soft moonlight feature ($250 if I recall?) and it adds that back. I wish I had the full leathers; but since it's not my daily I don't miss it too much.

However the B&W is well worth the $3k in the convertible. I previously thought like the OP post; and even argued with the salesman that the B&W is ridiculous in a convertible at 60 mph with top down.

After 2+ years; I couldn't have been more wrong. I had a H&K loaner and it was horrible. The sounds not strong enough to counter the wind noises. In my B&W; I can be doing 80 mph with the top down and have the music at only 75% full; and still hear every NOTE and sound from treble to bass with near Perfect clarity.

For me; I wouldn't buy any convertible with OUT the B&W system for the sounds alone. If you don't like music or listen to music while driving; maybe?

But trust me, come back here after 2 years and tell me what you think about the B&W in the m850i convertible.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBMWWINS View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience and great to see another convertible (they are increasing in numbers) so we get a great mix here. Fully agree on the full merino - this should be standard on such a flagship model. There may not be many around but this aspect makes them more exclusive! At least I prefer to have a ride that is less common around than one that is. Just a little bit more REAR space so that one could at least sit there would have been more than desirable. For me this is the main and probably the only real letdown unless you opt for the GC variant.
Agreed, I wish it was full merino leather all by standard. But as for size; I also agree, however it's the biggest convertible on the market. The only bigger was the old Lincoln's convertible. Short of the Rolls Royce Dawn; there is no bigger convertible for back seats than ours.
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50