M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Chris Harris Ferrari Ban

11-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #23
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

This reminds of the soup Nazi on Seinfeld...No Ferrari for Chris Harris. Hahahahaha

He should try a disguise next time. if I was in charge of Ferrari and some guy kept disparaging our brand at some point I'll make sure He's not given our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #24
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
This reminds of the soup Nazi on Seinfeld...No Ferrari for Chris Harris. Hahahahaha

He should try a disguise next time. if I was in charge of Ferrari and some guy kept disparaging our brand at some point I'll make sure He's not given our cars.
He's not disparaging the product, just the control freaks who try and dictate how owners should use their own property. I don't blame him, I'd rather know the true facts, after all isn't that why we buy the magazines in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Unfortunately the pressure of competition will frequently drive automakers to extremes, and Ferarri is not the first to behave like this. The truly peculiar aspect of this story is exactly what Chris writes in his article: Ferarri, as an automaker already widely considered among the world's best, only cheapens their own hard work with their paranoid need to control every road test every time.
      11-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #26
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

The best thing Chris Harris did was end by saying Ferrari doesn't need to do this because their cars are so damn good. I have more respect (and did even before this article came out) for Chris Harris than any other auto journalist because he knows how to drive, knows what he's talking about, and is honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #27
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good link and article. I think it absolutely belongs in the main section of m3post.com. There are a lot of enthusiasts here, many lust after and respect Ferrari, myself included. Many of us cite magazine figures and also debate potential factory ringers and under/overrating by OEMs.

Right on for Chris telling it like it is.
+100000

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

I don't think much came out of this. Jalopnik posted a big thing when he wrote this article. This is old news however, I remember reading this a year, maybe even more, ago. It seems this was written people ranted for a few days, then went back to drooling over the ferraris.

Personally, if I were in the market I could care less because this level of performance is (currently) well beyond me... But I'm also more of a lambo fan anyway. Aventador... Mmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #29
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Now, Chris Harris is going to tell Ferrari how to run their business. What makes Ferrari succesfull is bc they're control freaks and that's pretty much in every area of their operation. It's like every Tom, Dick and Harry on the forums telling BMW how to design their cars. You know how good they are,first thay hated the E92,F10 before they lined up to order em.
Who relies on car magazines to determine what car they should buy anyway?

Tell Chris Harris to get over it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
For the record, I would like to express my respect for Chris Harris. This article was more than a rant. He made a serious personal sacrifice to write something that he felt passionately about bringing to light. To be a journalist and risk putting oneself on Ferrari's black list for future reviews is nothing to take lightly. If Ferrari has any wisdom at all, they'll take this opportunity to take the high road and allow Chris Harris continued access in the spirit of being better than just a petty and controlling manufacturer.

I agree entirely. Big props to Chris.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #31
CMW33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

Quote:
For the record, I would like to express my respect for Chris Harris. This article was more than a rant. He made a serious personal sacrifice to write something that he felt passionately about bringing to light. To be a journalist and risk putting oneself on Ferrari's black list for future reviews is nothing to take lightly. If Ferrari has any wisdom at all, they'll take this opportunity to take the high road and allow Chris Harris continued access in the spirit of being better than just a petty and controlling manufacturer.
You definitely wouldn't see an article like this from Car & Driver, Road & Track or Motor Trend. Plenty of manufacturers (read: Nissan and Ford) juice their test cars I'm sure. This is a whole other level altogether though.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #32
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah! That's pretty brave!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #33
Ben Choad
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3; 09 Lambo LP560-4

Thanks for posting. Ferrari has always been pretentious, so I am not shocked by their unscrupulous behavior but nonetheless disappointed. That's why I went a Lamborghini. Great car and I love the fact that Lamborghini started making cars as a F-U to Ferrari.

Well done Chris for calling them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
Even though I have read through the forum countless times, this is my first post. The reason I am posting is to divulge Chris Harris' recently published Ferrari article. I think everyone should consider these facts next time they watch an episode of TG or Final Gear (or whatever magazine article) featuring Ferrari. This is truly disgraceful on their part (Ferrari), I am a huge Ferrari fan, as are most on this forum, however the truth needs to be known about their shady PR practices.

Here is the link to Chris' article:
http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

There is also a video where he briefly mentions that he has been banned from driving Ferraris.

To Mods: Please move thread to appropriate location if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #34
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Choad View Post
Thanks for posting. Ferrari has always been pretentious, so I am not shocked by their unscrupulous behavior but nonetheless disappointed. That's why I went a Lamborghini. Great car and I love the fact that Lamborghini started making cars as a F-U to Ferrari.

Well done Chris for calling them out.
I don't think they're hurting bc you took your business to Audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #35
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

It is sad but the reality is that this is no different than a magazine being paid to plug cars; let them purposely win road tests or say good things about certain models. If this practice didn't exist; America would currently not have a car industry. Chris Harris did the right thing here by telling his readers what the reality is; this is why you should never listen to these magazines / comparos or any sort of formal reviews because they are always biased. Go drive the car yourself if you plan on buying it and don't believe paid for BS.
      11-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnsblvd View Post
You definitely wouldn't see an article like this from Car & Driver, Road & Track or Motor Trend. Plenty of manufacturers (read: Nissan and Ford) juice their test cars I'm sure. This is a whole other level altogether though.
The company that pays the most is the company that has the best car... Let's remember Chevy Volt won car of the year
      11-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
The company that pays the most is the company that has the best car... Let's remember Chevy Volt won car of the year
So true!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #38
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Repost of the century....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #39
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Looks like Ferrari has the same marketing team as Bose... except Ferrari actually makes an awesome product and doesn't need these BS tactics, whereas Bose depends entirely on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #40
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This is a repost but is one of the most memorable and shocking yet not-surprising-at-all articles I've ever read. Win by building a better product, not by gaining an unfair advantage. I feel the same way about their F1 team. The special treatment needs to end.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #41
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Kudo's for him to have a spine and write what is going on. Sad part is this has gone on since the start of the automotive revelution. Car companies do it, motorcycle companies do it. Virtually all vehicle manufactures supply ringers for press testing. Why do you think Consumer Reports buys their test vehicles from random dealers? They want real data and not polluted data from factory ringer machines.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #42
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chris Harris is the best auto journalist out there, at least in my eyes. He's a true car junkie; you can see it in the way he manages to speak his thoughts so passionately and with such a straight-forwardness that it's hard not to love the guy. I picked up on his work when I stumbled upon Driver's Republic (now discontinued—huge bummer) and now I've subscribed to basically everything I can find that's Harris-related.

That Jalopnik article he wrote required some serious balls and a realization that he'd be banned from any future Fezzas from that point onward (on a public/business level at least). It's also a huge eye-opener on the way companies conduct business in the auto world. You can figure that many automakers do some degree of fiddling when it comes to testing. Again, major props to the guy...I'd kill to have a chat with him in person.

Relevant Harris links for those interested:

EVO blogs
http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Mon...logs/index.cfm

Twitter page
http://twitter.com/#!/harrismonkey

EVOTV (YouTube page; contains plenty of Harris reviews)
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVOTV

Last edited by Year's_End; 11-09-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #43
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
It's also a huge eye-opener on the way companies conduct business in the auto world.
Exactly. This has been going on since the muscle car wars of the 60s and hasn't gone away. A while ago I read about a press Audi TT vs. a showroom Audi TT, supposedly identical cars, and the press car was quicker in nearly all regards. Porsche is also notorious for fiddling with their press cars.

As such a respected journalist, I found it odd for him to single out one manufacturer for engaging in these practices. While on the one hand, it did seem Ferrari took it to an extreme, in providing separate cars for acceleration and handling tests, it came across to me as an attempt to garner some attention and "bring down #1" rather than to bring to light what is a clear discrepancy between consumer cars and the versions the press test, which would have been a noble effort. Instead, he simply attacked one manufacturer, it came across to me as if he had a grudge of some sort anyway. A respected journalist, and I have sought out much of CH's stuff and liked it, should be capable of producing a balanced perspective within the automotive industry as a whole.

I said it when this first came to light and will now, misleading consumers about your products is inexcusable, and Ferrari was rightfully put on blast. It's just the way that it was implied that the cars Ferrari was being tested against, and winning against, weren't guilty of the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #44
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
I think all of the auto makers do this to some degree. It's just that Ferrari probably allocates the most amount of money to send its boffins out ahead of the tests.
This x100