M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos BMW's X6 - The Future Of BMW Design?

09-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

BMW's X6 - The Future Of BMW Design?

BMW's Future?

designer: Hussein al-Attah

EniLab on the proposed BMW X6....

"X6 will be more of a coupe, and less of a SUV. Remember x-Coupe? Now imagine slightly higher ground clearance, bigger wheels, and a longer body - and you'll get the idea. The styling will be different though.

The car will be labeled as SAC = sport activity coupe. Sport for performance, activity for higher ground clearance & AWD, coupe for shape.

Space will not be the issue - car will be able to carry 4 people & their personal luggage comfortably. It won't be a utility vehicle, but a sports coupe with a higher seating. Kind a all purpose coupe.

BMW sees X6 as a Porsche Panamera, Mercedes CLS, AM Rapide etc competitor. When MB & Co. are presenting bold idea - 4 or 5-door coupes, BMW are going even further: presenting 5-door all purpose activity coupe.

There have been several attempts in the history to produce such a car. Even some design studies have been showed (the last one is VW Concept A) - but the wrong brands were doing it. Such a car is a premium niche product - not something Hyundai could sell under their brand. There is enough interest for such a car, but a car should wear a premium brand and a premium price. BMW are the first premium car maker taking that risk - when they prove the product a success, others will follow. The same happened with MB CLS, BMW X3, MB ML, etc."

AutoWeb photoshop

"It's a marketing driven idea. There is a demand for such a car - otherwise car companies wouldn't go for it.

It's like ML, X3, CLS etc - all of them were considered gimmicky when they were launched. But all of them are a proven success.

Just look at the MB CLS - the public was skeptic about "4-door coupe" idea - calling it unnecessary. But CLS is a hit now - and many other car makers are adopting the idea, planning to produce their own "4-door coupes".

CLS was a trend setter, so will be X6. A perfect car for rich American customers who have natural born fetish for SUVSs / higher ride: providing them a high ride sports coupe. Features from both SUV & coupe worlds.

The X6 will be brutally beautiful. People like to be shocked by design. It's like architechture or furniture design. People like individuality and quirkiness and are turned off by something which is all one shape or form. (ie Computers: eg Applemac to normal PC - people prefer the design to the normal box).
"

EniLab>GermanCarZone

I've heard that BMW is going back to the future with more daring use of flame-surfacing. Sharper creases, more delineated surfaces and details.
EniLab confirms this in his comments.
I suspect that BMW would rather polarize the audience with a loveit/hate it proposition rather than trying to please everybody with bland (for BMW) design.
Brookside
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [7.00]
I'm not an SUV fan, but compared to the X5, I prefer a design like this to the boxy, high center of gravity version they currently sell. I also like the cleanliness of the design, so while it's not my thing, I'm comfortable with the direction.

I saw a spy photo/artists rendition of a future Cayenne that had a similar size/shape. I think if BMW and Porsche really feel the need to make SUV's (and I'd be thrilled if both companies just scrapped the whole idea), this is at least a stomachable variation.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

"Brutally Beautiful"....that's the way EniLab describes the X6.
He does have a way with words...(designed for) "American customers who have a natural born fetish for suv's."
I'd love to be able to read his work in his own language...I think he's from the Czech Republic.

Anyway, this is some gorgeous stuff- very masculine- beefy but elegant:a filet mignon compared to X-5's chuck roast.
It's a sophisticated and atheletic design mix. I hope this is the direction BMW goes - something chancier...edgier.
I wonder if these new design cues (massive front end, deeply sculpted sides) pop up in the 2 coupe? We should be seeing something soon...?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep

Scott26 weighs in....

"The front of the X6 is not similar to the X5.
With triangular headlights as similar to the 5er (E60) - they sit in the front corners which blend in
to form the front wheel arches aside the widened twin shell kidney grille which will make its debut in the next 7er -
The twin kidneys now appear to be upturned but borders into a more natural twin shape inside the shell.
The shell also forms substance and interplay with the curves on the top of the bonnet and meet in the surround of the shell.
where the chromed bars ahead of the radiator will be placed.
The rear of the car gets slim-line rear lights that open up broader when wrapped around the corner of the car which leads direct from the rear bumper area forming the rear wheel arches.
An optional targa roof will become available with individual slats folding towards the rear of the car , as will a full panoramic roof .

HusseinDesign

One of the exciting concepts of the design phase of the X6 is BMW want to prove that the X6 is capable for all "four seasons":
How weather and season can enhance the design of the X6.
So we know its going to be a new type of vehicle - A new type of premium segment with the SAC "Sport Activity Coupe".
In the concept of brainstorming something that has already been approved for production is the effect that the car will have on color choices both in exterior and interior.
Although the exact color choice still has to be fettled this is how things are shaping up so far.

For instance "Desert" will feature strong Gold, Orange and Bronze colors with interior of sand beige or golden orange. With light or dark wood or bronze metallic strips.
"Ice" will enhance exterior color with cool whites and light blue hues with the interior merging with transparent and white trim elements (think ipod) and white and cool blue leather.
"Water" will enhance color of deep sea coral Blues and Greens with interiors to match.
"Autumn" will carry deep red to emphasis the interior and exterior.
And then the "Cloud" which will maintain the Blacks,Greys and Silvers.

Overall controls such as switches, stalks , control knobs etc are being evaluated against modern technology the soft touch keypads of laptops and high end mobile phones, ipods ,
plasma TV's in order to emulate a high quality "talking point" interior which will begin first with the F01 7er."

Scott26 is another "insider" who regularly contributes to internet sites...keeping the buzz going. His observations are so thorough and detailed...like he was there....
but he has been proven wrong on some observations...so take it with a grain of salt. Brookside
Appreciate 0