M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Remote 3D View in IOS App

02-19-2020, 11:33 PM   #67
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman64 View Post
Good question. Maybe due to the car already having a recent software version?
Then why isn't yours working?

Some of the bugs in tech stuff simply amazes me, a recent ios update caused a significant freeze in the phone functions of my iphone for about two weeks, tried hard resets etc. all to no avail, then magically it stopped freezing and has been fine...

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #68
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC-1 View Post
Then why isn't yours working?

Some of the bugs in tech stuff simply amazes me, a recent ios update caused a significant freeze in the phone functions of my iphone for about two weeks, tried hard resets etc. all to no avail, then magically it stopped freezing and has been fine...
Who knows. At first only Remote View wasn’t working, then everything stopped working, remote start, etc. This is what is happening to a lot of people right now according to our SA.

The reset brought me back to where we started...
This appears to be a combination of factors, software, connected drive servers, potentially low battery voltage on cold days here in MN.

I just want this to work...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #69
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Update on my end. Encountered the lack of driver profile recognition a couple of times today but at least on the drive home it properly worked. As for Connected I called the BMW Assist line as I had some time to kill between meetings this afternoon. Worked with a very friendly support resource whom provided similar instructions for the head unit reset as Wolfman64's after doing whatever diagnostics he could do on his end.

The one thing different from when I did that over the weekend is that per his instructions the app needs to be deleted from the mobile device prior to the reset. Given, I was calling from the office vs in the car he then started to enter a back-end support ticket and then said "oh, I see you have a atm2high communications unit so you'll need to go into the dealer". Apparently there is some sort of known issue with it but he did not know the details.

After uninstalling the app on both my phones I did the iDrive reset (timed it to exactly 70 seconds and noticed that it reboots twice in that time frame). Re-installed the app on my Pixel and low and behold I do have at least some connectivity now. The fuel amount had turned into a line on Tuesday and of course the last update still stated 2/13. Now I see proper fuel and mileage along with the update being this morning. However, there is no location data and when I tried to do the remote unlock it still failed. So a bit of progress but not much of a total solution. Guess I'm going to have to take it into the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #70
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Well, you're making some progress and that "atm2high" business is new info. Thanks for sharing that. Baby steps, but valuable information.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #71
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Update on my end which is with full chagrin no more data updates on my app. Fuel and Mileage along with "Vehicle Status Update" now locked at this morning yet I drove the car twice since then (office and back). Set a service appointment for 8am tomorrow so may have more info tomorrow (or Saturday) after I pick it up.

Given my wife's 2017 X5 with iDrive 6 is totally working for the Connected Services it supports I'm starting to believe it is not the BMW cloud (aka secure server) and obviously know it is not the phone app but rather an issue with iDrive 7 and associated head unit and likely the atm2high communications unit as BMW would be morons to have different parts across the car platforms (drives up cost). Have been watching some postings in the G20 forum and those with issues ...drum roll... all have the iDrive 7 upgrade.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-20-2020 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #72
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Well, you're making some progress and that "atm2high" business is new info. Thanks for sharing that. Baby steps, but valuable information.
I actually had the rep state that back twice as the first time I thought he was saying that my ATM was too high as in the Chase ATM I use has been smoking some pot.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #73
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who knows. At first only Remote View wasn’t working, then everything stopped working, remote start, etc. This is what is happening to a lot of people right now according to our SA.

The reset brought me back to where we started...
This appears to be a combination of factors, software, connected drive servers, potentially low battery voltage on cold days here in MN.

I just want this to work...
Don't blame you one bit, it's a very useful feature especially when parked away from home and you want to keep an eye on the car. Did this at the mall this weekend and it gave me tremendous piece of mind as I parked away from everyone and made sure it stayed that way. I was at the dealer today and they were amazed my connect/3D view was working, I don't know if it was the sw update they did last week or the fact I checked the box not to keep showing me the login msg, as once I did that all was good.
On another note there were 4 or 5 new M8's for sale (all comps) and 0 new 850/840's coupes/verts. I really like the wheels on the M8 comps, wish I had a set to put on my M850.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #74
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Dropped the M850i off for service this morning to see what can be done with the Connected Drive issue. Explained to my SA what BMW assist told me to do in regards to the iDrive head unit reset, etc. but to no avail. Mentioned the atm2high communications unit but he was not familar with that but guessing the shop techs will be. I showed him on the app how my wife's X5 is working perfectly (even pulled up her current location when she parked it at her school this morning) and how nothing is working for the M850i. Lastly I also pointed out the hood alignment issue and he agreed so they will work that aspect as well.

The SA is familar with my wife's X5 as I've been using him ever since purchasing it but this is the first time he saw the M850i. When he opened the door to get the current mileage he had the same reaction as everyone, i.e., "WOW" on the interior and commented on what a great color combo (exterior and interior).

Since he obviously knows my size (6'6") he always ensures I get a an appropriate loaner. Plus, he mentioned that may need the M850i through Monday so he wanted to get me something a little fun to drive that I fit comfortably in. Although they don't have a X4 M40i loaner they did have a X4 xDrive 30i so that's what I have for now until I pick up the M850i with hopefully all of the Connected Drive services fixed and the hood looking the best possible. 300 miles on the odometer and I'm going to rack up some more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #75
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Update on my Connected Drive situation. Got a text message late this afternoon stating the car was ready for pickup. He also included that the "@" in my password was causing the problem. I'm in IT and deal with all security aspects so my passwords are always complex (and include special characters).

Given the claim that all of Connected Drive was fixed I figured I'd try a Remote 3D View operation (using the new password - they substituted the @ with an "a"). Low and behold it worked perfectly and I did LOL on how the X7 behind the M850i looks like it is going to eat it (as in the grill being Jaws).

That said though I'm still not buying the password issue as it has been the same for Connected Drive since buying my Wife's 2017 X5 in December of 2016 and as mentioned all functions worked fine with the X5. Case-in-point when I get in the M850i to drive it home my entire iDrive settings were wiped out and the "home" screen was stock. The flashing PSL for exceeding was already annoying me so I quickly adjusted at a stop light.

All of my Media presets were gone so I also quickly set the source to SirusXM Ozzy's BoneYard and instantaneously recognized my B&W settings were wiped as well. Frustrating as I spent days dialing that in and now need to go through the painstaking process to reset them. I'm guessing you can all see where this is leading, i.e., when I finally was in the garage at home I pulled up the iDrive software release setting and sure enough I have a brand new load. My new version is 11/2019.55 which is 35 point releases beyond Noushy's 11/2019.20 which to this date I though was the latest.
Attached Images

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 02-21-2020 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #76
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

^^^That picture is the best lol, you should send it to BMW's head of design for the 2022 Chinese mkt (that's who they design most of this hideous crap for)...no offense intended to the chinese, but it's true.

Last edited by RJC-1; 02-21-2020 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:19 PM   #77
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
@ my arse....what a load of rubbish....software update da da....glad its all working for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Update on my Connected Drive situation. Got a text message late this afternoon stating the car was ready for pickup. He also included that the "@" in my password was causing the problem. I'm in IT and deal with all security aspects so my passwords are always complex (and include special characters).

Given the claim that all of Connected Drive was fixed I figured I'd try a Remote 3D View operation (using the new password - they substituted the @ with an "a"). Low and behold it worked perfectly and I did LOL on how the X7 behind the M850i looks like it is going to eat it (as in the grill being Jaws).

That said though I'm still not buying the password issue as it has been the same for Connected Drive since buying my Wife's 2017 X5 in December of 2016 and as mentioned all functions worked fine with the X5. Case-in-point when I get in the M850i to drive it home my entire iDrive settings were wiped out and the "home" screen was stock. The flashing PSL for exceeding was already annoying me so I quickly adjusted at a stop light.

All of my Media presets were gone so I also quickly set the source to SirusXM Ozzy's BoneYard and instantaneously recognized my B&W settings were wiped as well. Frustrating as I spent days dialing that in and now need to go through the painstaking process to reset them. I'm guessing you can all see where this is leading, i.e., when I finally was in that garage at home I pulled up the iDrive software release setting and sure enough I have a brand new load. My new version is 11/2019.55 which is 35 point releases beyond Noushy's 11/2019.20 which to this date I though was the latest.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #78
produhktiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i First Edition

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2019 M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
@ my arse....what a load of rubbish....software update da da....glad its all working for you!

Quote:

All of my Media presets were gone so I also quickly set the source to SirusXM Ozzy's BoneYard and instantaneously recognized my B&W settings were wiped as well. Frustrating as I spent days dialing that in and now need to go through the painstaking process to reset them. I'm guessing you can all see where this is leading, i.e., when I finally was in that garage at home I pulled up the iDrive software release setting and sure enough I have a brand new load. My new version is 11/2019.55 which is 35 point releases beyond Noushy's 11/2019.20 which to this date I though was the latest.
So I too had an @ in my password and was having flaky connectivity... changed password and location and 3d view works flawlessly now.

I assume it is any special character, anyone else want to test.

bloozemanAZ we need compare notes irl... we may know each other through work... Microsoft... Security... hmmmm
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #79
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by produhktiv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post

Quote:

So I too had an @ in my password and was having flaky connectivity... changed password and location and 3d view works flawlessly now.

bloozemanAZ we need compare notes irl... we may know each other through work... Microsoft... Security... hmmmm
So the presence of any special chars in the password causes the service to fail with an entirely unrelated error message? If this truly is the case, probably best not to use their self driving tech if bull$hit bugs like this exist... albeit in an entirely unrelated component. BMW should be ashamed.

AMG here I come...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #80
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have a special character (not a @ though) in my p/w and mine has been working fine for about 10 days straight.

Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 12:53 PM   #81
produhktiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i First Edition

Garage List
2021 X5 M50i  [0.00]
2019 M850i  [0.00]
Hmmm so maybe @ is the problem
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #82
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
I was told to keep the pw simple before creating it.
So I think it's one more variable in a string of conditions that makes things go or not...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #83
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Interesting as there might indeed be something wrong with the "@" special characters in passwords. However, this is something that must have changed in the BMW cloud side, i.e., the secure server both the Android/iOS app communicate with as well as the car. My point being that when I picked up my M850i on 12/9 and completed the Connected paperwork with my CA using the same account I established initial when I bought the X5 for my wife all functions for my M850i worked for weeks with the original password.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #84
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm so maybe @ is the problem
Definitely looking that way given my experience as well as yours!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #85
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was told to keep the pw simple before creating it.
So I think it's one more variable in a string of conditions that makes things go or not...
That is absolutely poor advice as once the Connected Drive account is linked with the car anybody with the password can access the car via the iOS/Android app. My last 3 years of my past gig was all around IoT (aka Internet of Things) security and this basically falls into that camp. The consideration is that this is one area in which hackers are actively targeting as their surface area along with the obvious financial services, retail and healthcare.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #86
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is absolutely poor advice as once the Connected Drive account is linked with the car anybody with the password can access the car via the iOS/Android app. My last 3 years of my past gig was all around IoT (aka Internet of Things) security and this basically falls into that camp. The consideration is that this is one area in which hackers are actively targeting as their surface area along with the obvious financial services, retail and healthcare.
My role is perhaps even a little more focused... and I couldn't agree more.

A world without passwords is better and achievable even today to a limited extent, but we're just not yet there for many/?still-most? non-local authN scenarios; in the meantime, complex passwords are a necessity.

// FOREWARNING--boredom potential high : @those that understand digital identity even a little: most credible identity systems (Active Directory being akin to my own child and one that I designed/built for many years) don't actually store any knowledge of the real password--that's not an embellishment, we literally have no idea what it was originally. The process that takes us from [no idea <-> to being able to validate it, nonetheless] is called hashing (or message digest) and is used as part of a larger suite of cryptographic operations that occur when you logon. There's nothing in this process--literally nothing--that could give a $hit about any of the characters used in a plaintext password string... so why the hell does BMW apparently care? I don't know, but it doesn't fill me with confidence...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #87
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Given I had to share my password with my SA and ultimately the tech whom worked on the M850i yesterday obviously a password change was in the cards for today. Given the password change is done via https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ I made note of their password requirements and to my prior post on advice from BMW CA's they require complexity as that is baseline security in the digital world we all live in.

As you will all note, an "@" is allowed as a special character and hence my original choice to include. My original password with the "@" for my Connected Drive account was set up in December 2016 when my wife's 2017 X5 landed. It wasn't until late December that the Remote 3D View stopped working on my M850i and then ultimately on 2/13 everything. The puzzling factor is my wife's X5 with iDrive 6 continued to work flawlessly so hence the theory in an earlier post that somehow iDrive 7 is in play.

I'm willing to bet that the software changes deployed on the BMW cloud (aka secure server) side in late December (broke the M850i's Remote 3D View) and February which broke everything for the M850i did not get properly tested with all special characters for a password in regards to iDrive 7 equipped vehicles.

My new updated password utilizes "#" as the special character and so far so good. RJC-1 if your special character is not a "#" as well can you share it so we all at least know what is working?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
limeypride4423.50
      02-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #88
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Given I had to share my password with my SA and ultimately the tech whom worked on the M850i yesterday obviously a password change was in the cards for today. Given the password change is done via https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/ I made note of their password requirements and to my prior post on advice from BMW CA's they require complexity as that is baseline security in the digital world we all live in.

As you will all note, an "@" is allowed as a special character and hence my original choice to include. My original password with the "@" for my Connected Drive account was set up in December 2016 when my wife's 2017 X5 landed. It wasn't until late December that the Remote 3D View stopped working on my M850i and then ultimately on 2/13 everything. The puzzling factor is my wife's X5 with iDrive 6 continued to work flawlessly so hence the theory in an earlier post that somehow iDrive 7 is in play.

I'm willing to bet that the software changes deployed on the BMW cloud (aka secure server) side in late December (broke the M850i's Remote 3D View) and February which broke everything for the M850i did not get properly tested with all special characters for a password in regards to iDrive 7 equipped vehicles.

My new updated password utilizes "#" as the special character and so far so good. RJC-1 if your special character is not a "#" as well can you share it so we all at least know what is working?
Good info, thanks!

From the screen snippet, it seems they support most/many but there shouldn't be a constraint of any kind. The supported password character-set shouldn't give a shit--this is prehistoric BS.
Appreciate 0