M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Bluetooth Trouble M850?

08-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
flyboy_1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw M4

Bluetooth Trouble M850?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone else have trouble with the bluetooth in their 8? I have the newest iPhone up to date with the newest software. The cars software is up to date, and still my phone does not connect almost 80% of the time. I have to delete it and reconnect the bluetooth for it to work. The rest of the car is great, but this one bug is driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

It can be a challenge. Pro tip: Make sure that your phone also is connected to the car's internal Wi-Fi network. It won't recognize the phone unless it sees both the car's Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals. Once it learns to recognize the car's Wi-Fi network, it might go smoother down the road.

(If you're trying to do this in or near your garage, the phone and thus the car may be defaulting to your home's Wi-Fi signal.)

Also, are you trying to connect to iDrive (BMW) or CarPlay? It's more finicky if you choose the CarPlay option while connecting.

I've been through the ringer on this, but I have it working now. It connects readily about 90 percent of the time and I can easily swap between iDrive and CarPlay. Feel free to stay in touch.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 08-11-2019 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      08-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
flyboy_1989 in addition to the suggestions from redhot47fla can I also add two more items.

Take your car back to factory reset all settings, connect and do any BMW software updates, then re-pair the phone (assume you have done this).

Also try disabling Wi-Fi calling on your iPhone, Settings - Mobile - Wi-Fi Calling <Off>. Wi-Fi calling has its issues in terms of hand offs to/from the mobile network at times. By disabling you force the phone to only operate on the mobile network.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
NOMRW8NG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
It can be a challenge. Pro tip: Make sure that your phone also is connected to the car's internal Wi-Fi network. It won't recognize the phone unless it sees both the car's Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals. Once it learns to recognize the car's Wi-Fi network, it might go smoother down the road.
Thanks very much for this tip! It solved the problem for me.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad to hear it. Happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

same

Quote:
Glad to hear it. Happy to help.
I've had the same problem. I'll try the above solution and see.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
flyboy_1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bmw M4

I have not tried to factory reset and then pair, but I will try it. I think what's happening is my phone is staying on local wifi for to long and not connecting to the cars wifi until I get away from where I was, and then it throws the computer off and won't allow it to connect.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

That is very likely. When that happens and you are some distance from the local wi-fi, turn off your phone's wi-fi system and switch it back on. That should automatically link your phone to the car's wi-fi network and then the car should connect to your phone. If not, go into the car's COM menu, then Mobile Devices, and reconnect your phone.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      08-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

works

Quote:

(If you're trying to do this in or near your garage, the phone and thus the car may be defaulting to your home's Wi-Fi signal.)

Also, are you trying to connect to iDrive (BMW) or CarPlay? It's more finicky if you choose the CarPlay option while connecting.

I've been through the ringer on this, but I have it working now. It connects readily about 90 percent of the time and I can easily swap between iDrive and CarPlay. Feel free to stay in touch.
I had to play with it for a while, but it finally works now. also now after owning 3 months the bmw wanted me to register and sign up for 3 gb free wifi. once I did that every thing went well, but I'm not sure what will happen after the trial period.

I assume in three months after the free trial it's going to still work for the apple car play. because I sure don't want to pay $25 / month for wifi plus another $80 / yr. for Apple Car play. are there any other options?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I assume in three months after the free trial it's going to still work for the apple car play. because I sure don't want to pay $25 / month for wifi plus another $80 / yr. for Apple Car play. are there any other options?
Very glad that it's working for you now. Lobbied by my Internet-intensive grandson, I'm paying AT&T the $25 per month to maintain connectivity with the outside world from inside the car.

So, I can't be certain, but I believe that after the free three-month trial, even if you don't pay AT&T to continue the service, the in-car Wi-Fi network will remain active for CarPlay and connectivity to your phone. That is, I believe that your phone still will connect to the car, but you will not be able to use the in-car Wi-Fi network to reach the outside world.
Appreciate 2
Ozzie8641.00
      08-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #11
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Very glad that it's working for you now. Lobbied by my Internet-intensive grandson, I'm paying AT&T the $25 per month to maintain connectivity with the outside world from inside the car.

So, I can't be certain, but I believe that after the free three-month trial, even if you don't pay AT&T to continue the service, the in-car Wi-Fi network will remain active for CarPlay and connectivity to your phone. That is, I believe that your phone still will connect to the car, but you will not be able to use the in-car Wi-Fi network to reach the outside world.
awesome!! thanks so much for that continuing info. and thanks for the initial solution, it's working great for me for 2 days in a row so far !!!

thanks again!
Appreciate 1