M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 3 Series Coupe at Your BMW Dealer - NOW

08-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

3 Series Coupe at Your BMW Dealer - NOW

I had thought that we'd be waiting a couple more months for the 3-er coupe to showup at the dealerships-
No. I saw a demo-model at my dealer today..in black...the 328 model.
Absolutely stunning- not revolutionary styling- and a tad more focus on the luxury aspect.
What's hard for me to get over is how physically large the 3 series line has become. Even the coupe, despite it's lowered stance, feels like a big car.
The dealer said it shares no body panels with the sedan.
Would I consider getting one? Well it is drop-dead gorgeous but I'm hanging on for the 2-coupe, and crossing my fingers it'll feel sportier than the 3-er.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Feel the same exact way when I saw a 328 coupe at my local dealer. Elegant looking car, but not as sporty or aggressive as I'd like. This definitely leaves open a perfect slot for a sporty 2er coupe to slot in at!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

You could say, "What's not to like?", but it is big- I think Garyhoov had mentioned that he thought his 3-series sedan felt too large.
I got that wobbly-kneed sinking feeling when I saw it-I think sales people are naturally attuned to pick-up on this so I didn't ask to take it out for a spin.
Gorgeous from this angle.
From the rear it's very sedate-reminded me of a Mazda Millenia- not bad, but not very daring.

On a somewhat different note...

I found these drawings on a Netherlands design site....proposals for the 3-series coupe;when actually, they look a lot like what I imagine the 2-coupe will turn out to be.
One other thing- some of the tech guys at the dealership had a 1-series brochure from the U.K. that they were passing around like it was contraband..
Every one of them had unkind words for BMWUSA for not bringing it to the states.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [7.00]
My boss has a 335i on order. It's scheduled to be built in the middle of September.

I'm hoping to get a look at a Z4 coupe, but my dealer doesn't seem to have any. I haven't seen one in person yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Brookside, awesome find on the CGI drawings. Seriously, if the 2-series coupe turns out like that it will for sure be a hot hot seller. Someone needs to send those to BMW to give them a nudge
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold
Someone needs to send those to BMW to give them a nudge

This does look sweet-yes? If the "2" turned out like this it would be awesome.
I love the roofline- absolutely perfect.

I'm out of my lease in a year's time...and I have nothing but great things to say about my Z4- It's been a brickhouse for dependability and fit/finish.
But I'm ready for something new- and I don't see me getting into a 3-coupe.
It's gorgeous, but it just isn't me.
Some of us grew up with parents who really were attached to brand loyalty-you bought a Ford..you stayed with Ford.
I love BMW's but I have a clear idea of what I want and when the time comes to pull the trigger I'll get whatever's out there that fills my needs.
And, truthfully, I think I'll resent BMW if they don't get the "2" right. They've had time to research the car, do the demographics.
I doubt very much if there's a "2" constituency out there who don't want great handling and cutting-edge design.
It's just a matter of BMW reading the tea leaves and turning all that talent they have loose on this project.

Part of my dissappointment with the 3-er coupe is that it's become somewhat of a bloated boulevardier- oh yeah, I know the 335's specs- but I don't want a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Give me something whose design mirrors it's performance.
Appreciate 0