M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos New AMG GT Article

10-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #23
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
I don't think you can or will be able to judge this car based upon past AMG cars. This is a smaller/lighter car than both the SLS and C63. It is actually the same size as the 991. Looking forward to the comparos, another great addition to the category. I have a sneaking suspicion the AMG GT is going to surprise some people.
AMG can talk all they want...its only marketing and hype. Nothing more. Stack it up against what it will be competing against; GTS, GT3 or turbo/S, it doesn't stand a chance and I'll bet money on that. I know the car isn't out yet, but I'm quite confident it simply won't stand a chance.

I doubt it will even be within 200 lbs of the 991. Mercedes finds a away to make their cars very heavy...

So i just looked it up, Mercedes is claiming they beat the 4 year old 991S by 1 second on the Ring. That is laughable. Thats what 103 hp and 100 ft lb of tq get you. 1 second. Its easy to say the AMG GT will NOT compete with the face lifted 991S, nor will it even stand any chance against anything else up the 911 range. Just for comparison sake, GT3 runs 7:25 on the Ring with 475 hp.

I'm a very big fan of the new Mercs, but they aren't of Porsche calibre. Their AMG Black Series stuff is still a bit behind what Porsche can do. Based on the lap time, they're about 5 years behind. And Porsche holds back quite a lot on their cars too.

Quote:
Did you see the most recent pic leak of 991 GT3 RS, it is going to be mega.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...s-leaked-again
This car is going to be incredible. The GT3 is about as perfect as you can get yet this will improve upon it. As I said above, Porsche holds back a lot on the cars they end up going to production with, but they always seem to outdo themselves.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 10-27-2014 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #24
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
But in comparison, I see probably 40-50 P-cars here in Calgary every day. I don't think I have ever seen an SLS on the road. The Porsche would most likely be the better driver's car, but the Merc will definitely be much more rare. I bet it's the price keeping it rare.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #25
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I agree. I see tons of Porsches, rarely any AMGs.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #26
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
But in comparison, I see probably 40-50 P-cars here in Calgary every day. I don't think I have ever seen an SLS on the road. The Porsche would most likely be the better driver's car, but the Merc will definitely be much more rare. I bet it's the price keeping it rare.
I wouldn't be putting SLS and your run of the mill 911's in the same ball park. The AMG GT will be a lot more popular at this new price point.
      10-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Buy it because it looks menacing, sounds badass, and is rare. Don't buy it if you want the top performer for the money.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #28
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Love the Porsche roofline, just a great looking car.

I didn't know these cars used a rear transaxle/torque tube like a corvette, that's kind of cool.
      10-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
AMG can talk all they want...its only marketing and hype. Nothing more. Stack it up against what it will be competing against; GTS, GT3 or turbo/S, it doesn't stand a chance and I'll bet money on that. I know the car isn't out yet, but I'm quite confident it simply won't stand a chance.

I doubt it will even be within 200 lbs of the 991. Mercedes finds a away to make their cars very heavy...

So i just looked it up, Mercedes is claiming they beat the 4 year old 991S by 1 second on the Ring. That is laughable. Thats what 103 hp and 100 ft lb of tq get you. 1 second. Its easy to say the AMG GT will NOT compete with the face lifted 991S, nor will it even stand any chance against anything else up the 911 range. Just for comparison sake, GT3 runs 7:25 on the Ring with 475 hp.

I'm a very big fan of the new Mercs, but they aren't of Porsche calibre. Their AMG Black Series stuff is still a bit behind what Porsche can do. Based on the lap time, they're about 5 years behind. And Porsche holds back quite a lot on their cars too.

This car is going to be incredible. The GT3 is about as perfect as you can get yet this will improve upon it. As I said above, Porsche holds back a lot on the cars they end up going to production with, but they always seem to outdo themselves.

I don't like the AMG GT's design, and you can hate on it whatever you wit as much as you want, but with regards to its technical aspects, BMW can only dream of being able to build such car, a pure two seat coupé, mid-front dry sump engine and transaxle transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #30
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I don't like the AMG GT's design, and you can hate on it whatever you wit as much as you want, but with regards to its technical aspects, BMW can only dream of being able to build such car, a pure two seat coupé, mid-front dry sump engine and transaxle transmission.
I never said BMW could build a car like this. BMW has fallen behind Merc in the past few years.

BMW does make a couple 2 seaters, the Z4 which is a joke...not even worth mentioning in the same sentence as a Boxster S/GTS, and the i8 which also is quite an ugly attempt at a poor performing, significantly overpriced hybrid. Cars like the 918, P1, LaF will be iconic, particularly the 918 as its the most technologically advanced and the single greatest calibration of technology in a car that will pave the future for cars and technology while the i8 will be forgotten.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 10-29-2014 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #31
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
Just read this article and the car sounds like its going to be a knockout..what do ya'll think? Looks sick in black.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercede...st-ride-review
*chubby*
      10-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
No thanks, i'll take a 911. Mercedes-Benz does not make precise sports cars, they make wonderful luxury machines and GT's.
      10-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #33
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
No thanks, i'll take a 911. Mercedes-Benz does not make precise sports cars, they make wonderful luxury machines and GT's.
This AMG is different story.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #34
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

As a current FL W204 C63 owner, AMG knows how to make a car. No one knows what they can do in this compact and lighweight segment as they have never done it before. But I can bet they will nail it out of the park on thei first attempt. The Porsche 911 is a tremendous benchmark, but it is not impossible. Just look at the Jaguar F-Type Coupe R. Not as fast as some of the 911's but it sure was a breath of fresh air in the car world. The fact that AMG is even trying is an accomplishment in itself. What is BMW doing? Building the next 1.2 liter 3 cylinder with duracell batteries hooked up to it? Might be great for sustainability and profits but for enthusiasts, they are all but dead in the water.

You know shit got real when MB AMG makes better performing and more engaging drivers' cars than BMW does.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #35
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
As a current FL W204 C63 owner, AMG knows how to make a car. No one knows what they can do in this compact and lighweight segment as they have never done it before. But I can bet they will nail it out of the park on thei first attempt. The Porsche 911 is a tremendous benchmark, but it is not impossible. Just look at the Jaguar F-Type Coupe R. Not as fast as some of the 911's but it sure was a breath of fresh air in the car world. The fact that AMG is even trying is an accomplishment in itself. What is BMW doing? Building the next 1.2 liter 3 cylinder with duracell batteries hooked up to it? Might be great for sustainability and profits but for enthusiasts, they are all but dead in the water.

You know shit got real when MB AMG makes better performing and more engaging drivers' cars than BMW does.
I agree AMG makes great cars but the SLS Black Series at 250K pails in comparison to a 130K GT3, it pails in comparison as a driver's tool even next to entry level 991S let alone anything up the 911 line.

I do agree at this point they make more engaging cars than BMW. Mercedes seems to have switch roles with BMW. BMW is making the tail happy, hard to handle at the limit cars while Merc is making the driver's cars.

As far as the Jag goes, it may be a breath of fresh air, but it again pails in comparison to its respective Porsche car, whether that be a 911 or Cayman and as far as I know has lost in every comparo too. Its a great car but still a LONG ways off from a the bar that Porsche has set with it current cars...then again, everyone is.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #36
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

911 is not the benchmark, fact.

My personal opinion, shapes looks ugly. Still like the 911 for what it is, but not for heritage.

The benchmark is the Cayman. Give both 981 and 991 the same engine, the 981 will be better in every possible metric.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #37
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

I wouldn't say SLS BS pails in comparison, it is a damn good car. Is it the razor tool the GT3 is...No. The AMG-GT will be a smaller more nimble car than the SLS. So I am eagerly waiting to see the comments from road/track tests. I think it will be a leap forward for AMG. Then to hear there will be a Black Series model and GT3 model based off the FIA GT3 AMG-GT...cool sh*t.

EVO put up the SLS BS up against the 997 GT2 RS. SLS BS held its own.

I believe the video also states EVO got a quicker lap time with the SLS BS, than the 991 GT3.

Last edited by hellrotm; 10-30-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #38
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

AMG-GT is a looker to me.

And that interior, wow.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #39
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't say SLS BS pails in comparison, it is a damn good car. Is it the razor tool the GT3 is...No. The AMG-GT will be a smaller more nimble car than the SLS. So I am eagerly waiting to see the comments from road/track tests. I think it will be a leap forward for AMG. Then to hear there will be a Black Series model and GT3 model based off the FIA GT3 AMG-GT...cool sh*t.

I believe the video also states EVO got a quicker lap time with the SLS BS, than the 991 GT3.

Seen that video before. .5 seconds on a 1 minute lap is a huge difference. Extrapolate that over a 10 minute session, and the SLS Black is almost to the point of getting lapped.
All that video did was prove that Mercedes at their best is still well behind Porsche's maybe 2nd or 3rd best car which is on a 10 year old platform compared to a brand new built from the ground up AMG Black Series. And not only that, we are comparing dual clutch to a 6MT. Had the GT2 has PDK, you know that would have been 1.5-2 seconds per lap which is just downright embarassing (similar to how the base 991 dusted the M4 at Angelsy).

Its hard to compare lap times there from day to day, but same day, my money would be on the GT3.

Again, big fan of Mercedes lately...they offerings by and large are superior to BMWs and theyre only getting better. I very much think the C63/S will be the King of the M3/C63/RCF/RS segment.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 10-31-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #40
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree AMG makes great cars but the SLS Black Series at 250K pails in comparison to a 130K GT3, it pails in comparison as a driver's tool even next to entry level 991S let alone anything up the 911 line.

I do agree at this point they make more engaging cars than BMW. Mercedes seems to have switch roles with BMW. BMW is making the tail happy, hard to handle at the limit cars while Merc is making the driver's cars.

As far as the Jag goes, it may be a breath of fresh air, but it again pails in comparison to its respective Porsche car, whether that be a 911 or Cayman and as far as I know has lost in every comparo too. Its a great car but still a LONG ways off from a the bar that Porsche has set with it current cars...then again, everyone is.
That's all fine and dandy if all we are talking about is TRACK PERFORMANCE and LAP TIMES. I like my Porsche's but they don't invoke soul and excitement like other car manufacturer's models.

Point being, if lap times are all you are after, than a Ariel Atom or another street legal track toy will be faster and cheaper, you see what I mean?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #41
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Seen that video before. .5 seconds on a 1 minute lap is a huge difference. Extrapolate that over a 10 minute session, and the SLS Black is almost to the point of getting lapped.
All that video did was prove that Mercedes at their best is still well behind Porsche's maybe 2nd or 3rd best car which is on a 10 year old platform compared to a brand new built from the ground up AMG Black Series. And not only that, we are comparing dual clutch to a 6MT. Had the GT2 has PDK, you know that would have been 1.5-2 seconds per lap which is just downright embarassing (similar to how the base 991 dusted the M4 at Angelsy).

Its hard to compare lap times there from day to day, but same day, my money would be on the GT3.

Again, big fan of Mercedes lately...they offerings by and large are superior to BMWs and theyre only getting better. I very much think the C63/S will be the King of the M3/C63/RCF/RS segment.
Have you thought that because of the circuit being so small that it indeed played into the hands of the Porsche? A second is an eternity for sure, especially arounf a small and tight circuit but I'm wagering you put the SLS BS and the Porsche around a more open and bigger track the percent margin that the Porsche beat the SLS BS will be smaller. The Benz can barely open up the taps on that track.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #42
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Wolf, your math is a bit suspect. Half a second on a one minute track taken over ten minutes is five seconds, hardly being close to being lapped.

I suspect the GT will handily outperform the 991S and likely the GTS too. I'm sure future iterations will give the GT3 a hard time too.

As Levi said, the Cayman is a better chassis than the 911, so Porsche has sort of created an issue for themselves. Challengers will eventually dethrone the 911, whether Porsche answers with their own, better Cayman is yet to be seen.

Not mentioned in any of this is where the C7 and C7 Z06 fit in performance wise, for a heck of a lot less money.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #43
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
In terms of sexiness, I'd take this over the 911...any kind. If all I care about are putting down numbers, I'll take a GT3. Daily driving? I'll take this over any 911. Price, I'll take a GT3. Prestige and rarity goes to the Benz for me.

Verdict...I'll keep my 1er. It's better than both cars (lol I kid...sorta...my 1er might get mad)
But seriously, I'll take the AMG GTS over the GT3. A) I do not have the talents to take full advantage of what the GT3 will offer me, B) I consider actually driving the car daily and the GT3 is not very pleasant, C) Looks and rarity, D) it's not like the AMG GT is an incompetent piece of crap...it can still definitely perform.

If people want lap times, just go with a lotus. The current exige looks beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #44
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing
Quote:

Dude. Extrapolating that, the Porsche would beat the SLS by 5 seconds on a ten minute track, that's far from being a lap. And honestly, if someone was offering you a $500k Ferrari you'd still probably take your run of the mill $130k Porsche because you're such a diehard fanboy. I bet the CEO of Porsche is laughing at you.

And at this point, you're either mentally deranged or a troll if you say that a 991S is a better drivers car than the SLS Black Series.
Appreciate 0