M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Chris Harris Ferrari Ban

11-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #45
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
I don't think much came out of this. Jalopnik posted a big thing when he wrote this article. This is old news however, I remember reading this a year, maybe even more, ago. It seems this was written people ranted for a few days, then went back to drooling over the ferraris.

Personally, if I were in the market I could care less because this level of performance is (currently) well beyond me... But I'm also more of a lambo fan anyway. Aventador... Mmmmm...
The article is a critical piece of information for any car enthusiast that's picked up a car magazine or read an article involving a Ferrari. Btw this was published nine months ago. It certainly had a huge impact on how I view Ferraris in comparisons now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Exactly. This has been going on since the muscle car wars of the 60s and hasn't gone away. A while ago I read about a press Audi TT vs. a showroom Audi TT, supposedly identical cars, and the press car was quicker in nearly all regards. Porsche is also notorious for fiddling with their press cars.

As such a respected journalist, I found it odd for him to single out one manufacturer for engaging in these practices. While on the one hand, it did seem Ferrari took it to an extreme, in providing separate cars for acceleration and handling tests, it came across to me as an attempt to garner some attention and "bring down #1" rather than to bring to light what is a clear discrepancy between consumer cars and the versions the press test, which would have been a noble effort. Instead, he simply attacked one manufacturer, it came across to me as if he had a grudge of some sort anyway. A respected journalist, and I have sought out much of CH's stuff and liked it, should be capable of producing a balanced perspective within the automotive industry as a whole.

I said it when this first came to light and will now, misleading consumers about your products is inexcusable, and Ferrari was rightfully put on blast. It's just the way that it was implied that the cars Ferrari was being tested against, and winning against, weren't guilty of the same thing.
After re-reading the article, it looks as though his singling out Maranello stems from personal frustration, and rightly so if what he's saying is the truth. As you and I said, other automakers are sure to fiddle with their press cars a little—I'm certain BMW had a slew of beefed-up 335i's back when they were running consistent 4.8-4.9s 60mph runs in '07—but I doubt the degree of interference is anywhere near the level of bullshit that Ferrari's pulling.

I've grown increasingly critical of comparisons/first-drive articles of any sort since I read this article.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #46
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I've grown increasingly critical of comparisons/first-drive articles of any sort since I read this article.

I hear that. Having said that, I can't imagine Ferrari is the only one, however from what Chris reports they do seem to take things a bit too far.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #47
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Aside from reading things because I'm interested in the car, I generally don't take these articles too seriously. Performance augmentation aside, there is no "point system" or automotive writer/editor who's going to have my exact preferences in mind. So I read to get some general info, but anything beyond that is just bench racing. For example, every magazine hates the Corvette's interior, and while it's certainly not the nicest, I don't find it egregious. Depending on the car, I couldn't care less about MPG, which these articles place a lot of emphasis on. Same with MSRP - I'm not in a position to buy new, and even if I were, I doubt I would.

Comparison tests are basically just supported by manufacturers so their dealers can keep copies in their showrooms of the ones their cars "win" for someone who doesn't know any better to feel warm and fuzzy about a purchase he's about to make. In respect to oneself, there really isn't much to be gleaned about a car you've never driven, and it's futile to form opinions on a car based on someone you've never met, whether they were driving an enhanced press car, or not. My 2c on automotive journalism, anyway. It's mildly informative entertainment, something to do while I take a shit
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #48
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Not only is this a repost - it's old news. Car & Driver wrote about such antics in the 90s. Tiff Needell on Fifth Gear was banned from testing Ferraris for a few years after being critical of the 360 or F355. Reportedly Harris wasn't allowed to drive the new FF at the media launch - he had to ride while a factory driver took him around.

Ferrari is the worst, I'm sure, but even Chris' precious Porsche AG is likely guilty of similar antics.

In the end, letting this stuff bother you is silly. Not only are most of the people "outraged" never going to be in the market for any Ferrari currently for sale, but the truth is the differences they go through all this to achieve are infinitesmal and bear no relevance to actual owners. Who's sitting at home gnashing his teeth and tearing out his hair because he can't manage the same 'Ring time as the magazines quoted for his 458?

Ferrari doesn't do this stuff to put one over on customers, they do it to win magazine comparisons - a corrupt, subjective and unscientific venue that puts them and every other car maker at a disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #49
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Now, Chris Harris is going to tell Ferrari how to run their business. What makes Ferrari succesfull is bc they're control freaks and that's pretty much in every area of their operation. It's like every Tom, Dick and Harry on the forums telling BMW how to design their cars. You know how good they are,first thay hated the E92,F10 before they lined up to order em.
Who relies on car magazines to determine what car they should buy anyway?

Tell Chris Harris to get over it.
An very interesting counter point that has some truth for sure.

I used to tell this story about a very talented programmer I worked with. When confronted about a bug or potential bug, almost reflexively and somewhat arrogantly he would immediately say "No, nope, not possible". He was right more often than wrong and even when wrong, and even when it seemed a monumental task, he would have the bug fixed that same day. We all hoped he could be a but less abrasive but upon further reflection I realized that if he did not have these somewhat negative traits he probably wouldn't be half the programmer he was in the first place. They good and bad were pretty well tied together.

However, that being said, there is clearly a line between being control freaks about your product, history, legacy, engineering, manufacturing, quality, testing, marketing, etc., etc. and doing what Ferrari are doing here. They are cheating and attempting to control an audiences ability to have access to unbiased journalism. It is definitely crossing the line.

Would their products be as good if they did not have these particular behaviors? Open question in my humble opinion. I am leaning towards a yes though.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #50
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

^Well said Swamp...(and US//M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Not only is this a repost - it's old news. Car & Driver wrote about such antics in the 90s. Tiff Needell on Fifth Gear was banned from testing Ferraris for a few years after being critical of the 360 or F355.
Then look at this, a repost as well, two Brits choosing that Italian horse as their favourite.

Are they nominated for the Grammy Awards yet?

Anyway. I'd choose the 458 too. Or are you saying a 'normal' 458 cannot do those tricks?

DISCLAIMER:I'm a big fan of Chris Harris though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #51
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
However, that being said, there is clearly a line between being control freaks about your product, history, legacy, engineering, manufacturing, quality, testing, marketing, etc., etc. and doing what Ferrari are doing here. They are cheating and attempting to control an audiences ability to have access to unbiased journalism. It is definitely crossing the line.
I would bet that Ferrari's argument would be that journalists aren't unbiased. Journalists, like anyone else, have their preferences and often will pick a car they like more based on subjective criteria regardless of its performance numbers compared to the competition. Chris Harris is a prime example - he loves the Porsche 911, and no comparo written by him is going to have any other winner. The company gives him greater access to their cars than anyone I've ever seen because the odds of Chris insulting a Porsche 911 is up there with me calling Kate Beckinsale a lousy lay.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #52
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

after reading the article, i believe the mclaren is a superior car to 458.
Appreciate 0