M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW Genius / Profiles

03-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
jm_bmw_m8
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Convertible

BMW Genius / Profiles

They advertise an email address at https://www.bmwusa.com/owners/genius.html They just don't reply, what's up with that? I emailed them in January.

Maybe someone else can answer my question. Thanks.

I bought a M8 convertible about a month ago, it's my first BMW.

I'm the primary driver, but I created a second profile for my wife. There have been issues. I've had to enter my home address 3 times, it keeps forgetting it, I think it's every time we switch to her profile and then back to mine. Favorites that I've entered through the BMW Connected iPhone app also disappear when I switch back to my profile.

We'd prefer all settings to be the same for both of us other than the seat and mirror positions, so I thought we could share the same profile but use the 1/2 memory buttons on the door. The only issue with that is she has to enter a pin to use my profile because her key isn't connected to the profile. Is there a way to connect two different keys to one profile?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
jm_bmw_m8 congratulations on your new M8!

Yes the keys and profiles. Here is what I have learned so far. Your profile can only be linked to one key. So if you are using two keys, when you get into the car with the key which is not linked, your profile will be guest. To keep your profile the same with all keys you need to ‘deactivate key linkage’ in the settings. I have not been able to establish two profiles and then have one for each key.

When reviewing this with my local genius, he suggested using a PIN for driver recognition instead. That is a PIN for each driver profile. I’ve not had the time to try this out. Perhaps someone else on the forum has.

The solution I came up with in the end was to advise my wife that ‘mycar’ was unable to be customised to accommodate her requirements due to the restrictions with connected drive, and as a result she could never drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:12 AM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post

Yes the keys and profiles. Here is what I have learned so far. Your profile can only be linked to one key. So if you are using two keys, when you get into the car with the key which is not linked, your profile will be guest. To keep your profile the same with all keys you need to ‘deactivate key linkage’ in the settings. I have not been able to establish two profiles and then have one for each key.

When reviewing this with my local genius, he suggested using a PIN for driver recognition instead. That is a PIN for each driver profile. I’ve not had the time to try this out. Perhaps someone else on the forum has.

The solution I came up with in the end was to advise my wife that ‘mycar’ was unable to be customised to accommodate her requirements due to the restrictions with connected drive, and as a result she could never drive it.
LMAO... nice!

Keep this up and the only female in your life will be named M850.

Last edited by limeypride; 03-04-2020 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post

As testified before, my wife's key to the M850i lives in the closet and will likely never see the light of day although she has asked about it. That said one of my attractions for my new ride was BMW's management of driver profiles, etc. Case-in-point the wife and I have our own keys to her X5 and it works flawlessly. If she is in the X5 all settings are to her profile. When I drive it all are to mine, e.g., seat adjustments, audio presets, side mirrors, iDrive home screen, ambient lighting, navigation settings, etc.

Unless BMW absolutely fubar'd this with iDrive 7 (the X5 is on iDrive 6) the capability is there with key to profile recognition. Once again I have not tested as the M850i is my baby. Lastly all advice from a Genius should be likely discounted as any child of technology can figure things out with a Google search or the wealth of information on this forum. jm_bmw_m8 happy to help in anyway I can if you send me a PM.
Appreciate 0