M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Why I Truly Appreciate This Forum

01-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Why I Truly Appreciate This Forum

While logging in earlier today I hit the wrong link and found myself in the "General BMW News And Cars Discussion" forum. One thread that caught my eye when the page loaded was "BMW moving away from M Performance vehicle branding" (https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1686369) so I clicked on it. After reading through several of the 38 pages of discourse I walked away as I couldn't take it any more.

In this forum we do not discount a 840 vs a M850i vs a M8/M8C as they are all truly great cars with a fit for purpose to the owner that made the purchase. In the thread they bash anything not being a "full" M car and wax the poetic with analogies that the M Performance models are there just for those that cannot afford a "full" M model. Obviously that is not the case as we've all discussed the "why" as to what we chose including several members forgoing BMW for Porsche 911's, etc. No bashing whatsoever but rather respect for everyone's choice.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 01-23-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b5886.00
Ozzie8641.00
      01-24-2020, 01:14 AM   #2
DRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp, 2018 BMW X5

I actually think that the branding makes perfect sense.

M is just for motorsport.

A full M car is track oriented from ground up. Reliable enough to take up the constant suffering of high performance driving in extreme conditions.

A car with M parts has some of the high performance parts (i.e. suspension, or body kits, tuned engine etc).

A car without an M index isn't targeted for constant high performance driving, usually more oriented towards everyday usability and comfort.

All BMWs are GREAT CARS.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00
      01-24-2020, 05:57 AM   #3
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Russian_American View Post

A full M car is track oriented from ground up. Reliable enough to take up the constant suffering of high performance driving in extreme conditions.

A car with M parts has some of the high performance parts (i.e. suspension, or body kits, tuned engine etc).

A car without an M index isn't targeted for constant high performance driving, usually more oriented towards everyday usability and comfort.

All BMWs are GREAT CARS.
Nicely said. I always felt the M Perf models were better daily drivers built to compete with Audi S and some of the AMG models that didn't end in 63s. They are great cars but the concern is BMW diluting the once vaunted M brand. I see both sides and I didn't feel that thread was bashing the non M 840i or the M850i at all.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken_Russian_American View Post

All BMWs are GREAT CARS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
Nicely said. I always felt the M Perf models were better daily drivers built to compete with Audi S and some of the AMG models that didn't end in 63s. They are great cars but the concern is BMW diluting the once vaunted M brand. I see both sides and I didn't feel that thread was bashing the non M 840i or the M850i at all.

Noushy
Agreed as very well stated. In regards to Audi I test drove a S5 as well as RS5 and definitely felt the S5 would be the better daily driver. I also understand the brand dilution aspect but that is a decision BMW I'm sure is making with their eyes wide open. Then again maybe it will be a total faux pas and they'll revert back. Most of the bashing was around the M340i and likely just because the example used for the branding update was the 3 series and got a little out of hand in several posts.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
bloozemanAZ thanks for your post, I agree this is a very non-judgmental and supportive forum.

The professional reviewers are very helpful in the early release period. Especially here in Oz as we are 6 months behind on vehicle release and 12 months behind on availability. But they have very specific biases towards firm handling and lots of noise, or they are porsche / merc lovers doing a BMW road test.

This forum gives the full gambit of views on all of the models, by mostly bimmer fans, who appreciate the continuity of design and features across the generations.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #6
RJC-1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M850XI

With large GT performance cars heading the way of dinosaurs of late, those of us discerning enough to still recognize their greatness, make up a shrinking yet discerning group, and I for one am happy to be a part of it. This forum is indeed a great place for us all to share our thoughts and experiences.

Topic permitting, I try to be objective as possible
Appreciate 0