M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Taycan Turbo S rated for 201 miles EPA range

12-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #23
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Pretty lame time for cars when "range" is a performance criteria people are getting emotional about.

Zzzzzzzz
      12-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Pretty lame time for cars when "range" is a performance criteria people are getting emotional about.

Zzzzzzzz
Also meaningless if you have a wife or children. I still contend that 99.997% of people buying $188k cars will never, ever drive it 500 miles at once. There are airplanes for that, and there's a good chance that they own their own one of those too.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #25
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
There was a video of someone trying to prove the Tesla Model S was not put in Ludicrous mode by BBC and therefore could not beat the Taycan in a drag race.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #26
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

That's correct, Model S was not in "Ludicrous mode" in that Top Gear review. In fact, they showed Tesla time from different test they did earlier, before Taycan arrived. Some fake news by Top Gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
There was a video of someone trying to prove the Tesla Model S was not put in Ludicrous mode by BBC and therefore could not beat the Taycan in a drag race.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #27
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
That's correct, Model S was not in "Ludicrous mode" in that Top Gear review. In fact, they showed Tesla time from different test they did earlier, before Taycan arrived. Some fake news by Top Gear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
IIRC Top Gear did that because that was the fastest Model S they tested. Subsequent tests were of slower times. So yeah Top Gear was actually biased towards the Model S if that is what they did.

Ludicrous mode is not repeatable performance while the Taycan can do the same runs multiple times. After a few runs the Model S would go into limp mode whereby an e-Golf will outrun it. I don't buy into one-trick ponies.

I have already seen vidoes of Taycan beating Model S. Honestly it's all very measurebating. If I am in the market for a hipo-EV and I have deep pockets, the Model S is not even remotely on my radar to X-shop.
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #28
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That's why drag races are done several times with the same match up to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #29
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

I do realize that Taycan was built for the different intent: track and repeatable lunches. I don't understand when people compare something like M5 vs. Toyota Camry and then go like - OMG Camry is a piece of crap because its brakes overheat on the track... But one fact that Model S can accelerate close to Taycan and have over 300 miles of range for the half of price is pretty respectful in my book.
Also, the fact that Top Gear showed Model S in "range mode" with Ludicrous disabled during the video makes me wonder how accurate their other tests were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
IIRC Top Gear did that because that was the fastest Model S they tested. Subsequent tests were of slower times. So yeah Top Gear was actually biased towards the Model S if that is what they did.

Ludicrous mode is not repeatable performance while the Taycan can do the same runs multiple times. After a few runs the Model S would go into limp mode whereby an e-Golf will outrun it. I don't buy into one-trick ponies.

I have already seen vidoes of Taycan beating Model S. Honestly it's all very measurebating. If I am in the market for a hipo-EV and I have deep pockets, the Model S is not even remotely on my radar to X-shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:58 AM   #30
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I had pre orderd one. After I heard about the 201 mile range I canceled my order
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #31
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Who cares. It'll be obsolete in 3 months as soon as someone codes a battery with wheels to accelerate faster with less juice. Yawn.
      12-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #32
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Couple questions about EVs.

1) When the EPA calculates mileage, do they have a certain temperature range for testing or procedure for using the AC or heater?

i.e. "The Taycan/Teslsa/etc has a range of XYZ miles at 65 degrees F- without using the AC or Heater"

2) How much does the range drop if it's 10-20F and have to use the heater OR 90+ and running the AC nonstop?

3) How much does the battery deplete if you leave it outside for several days with low temps in the single digits?
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      12-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #33
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

There are some Canadian articles testing EV battery ranges during winter. Cranking up the heater, cold starts, stop and go, wipers and headlights... Functionalities required during winter driving. The result is EV tech has some ways to go. The charging infrastructure in non urban locales in canada makes it even more challenging.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      12-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #34
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

yawn the price is astronomical for what it is
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #35
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post

Exactly, for me what Top Gear did is unforgivable and made the Model S look better than it was.

If you test cars against each other it should be same day. That once upon a time car A achieved a better result is irrelevant.
Sometimes car mags mention than car A did X today but their best ever time is Y... that is the only acceptable way to use better results than what you've done that day

And that somehow this was twisted to Top Gear being against Telsa is just incredible and speaks a lot about how nuts the fanboys are.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #36
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

Yeah that's what Top Gear was probably trying to do but f..cked somewhere and forgot to enable the Ludicrous mode and raced in range mode. After posting the video and getting caught they came up with this stupid excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Exactly, for me what Top Gear did is unforgivable and made the Model S look better than it was.

If you test cars against each other it should be same day. That once upon a time car A achieved a better result is irrelevant.
Sometimes car mags mention than car A did X today but their best ever time is Y... that is the only acceptable way to use better results than what you've done that day

And that somehow this was twisted to Top Gear being against Telsa is just incredible and speaks a lot about how nuts the fanboys are.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:29 PM   #37
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Couple questions about EVs.

1) When the EPA calculates mileage, do they have a certain temperature range for testing or procedure for using the AC or heater?

i.e. "The Taycan/Teslsa/etc has a range of XYZ miles at 65 degrees F- without using the AC or Heater"

2) How much does the range drop if it's 10-20F and have to use the heater OR 90+ and running the AC nonstop?

3) How much does the battery deplete if you leave it outside for several days with low temps in the single digits?
i don't have taycan specific answers. i daily drive an electric smart car that has about 60 miles of range. i am very in-tune with the car because using the a/c or heater on a windy day could mean i don't have enough range to make it home. i typically make it home with 5-15% range left. this is with having the car pegged at 83 mph (its governed) on the freeway.

its impossible to calculate empg with all the variables. battery depletion over a few days or even a week is almost nothing. these cars have a normal 12v battery, and the high voltage battery is used for driving.
      12-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #38
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Porsche made the conscious decision to weight performance over range, but I would say this decision has went too far that way..., really hope when BMW came out with i4 they can outrange Tesla (4 sec 0 to 60 is more than plenty, to me more important to outrange...)
Different strokes for different folks. On my 530e, I would prefer more power to more range.

Tesla has more range because it uses more of its batteries and because it limits the high speed driving.Because Porsche doesn't, it likely hurt its performance.

My guess, and it is only that, is that the Porsche will deliver better range than it is rated for for most drivers.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #39
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

My guess, and it is only that, is that the Porsche will deliver better range than it is rated for for most drivers.
Well, that's a straw-man argument though.

The modern/new EPA testing is more real-world and most people can best it if trying. New standards are something like 75mph cruise, taking into account more real-world variables that are indicative of how most people drive. If you want to hypermile, you can often do better than the ratings. This applies to Tesla, my 2SS 1LE V8 and I'm sure the Porsche. It's not going to inherently make it better than another car in this regard though.

All sorts of factors can affect your trip mileage, tailwind, air density, slight overall downhill, maintaining speed, etc. People post better results all the time...but that's across the board.
      12-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #40
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Agreed. It's still Apples to Apples. If a Taycan can beat its range, so can an EV with greater range. VW Group isn't BMW bad at EV's, but they've got a lot of ground to make up still.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #41
Sedoy
Captain
Rep

That's true, I believe that Taycan reserves/spares about 12% for battery degradation, where Tesla has all 100% available for charging. But the fact is that even with its superior drag coefficient Taycan is extremely inefficient compared to Tesla. Not really sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Different strokes for different folks. On my 530e, I would prefer more power to more range.

Tesla has more range because it uses more of its batteries and because it limits the high speed driving.Because Porsche doesn't, it likely hurt its performance.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #42
Top speed
Private
Rep
Drives: AMG gts. McLaren.Porsche

Fist test results from Auto motor und sport are in.

0-100 km/h : 2,8 s
0-200 km/h: 10,4 s
1/4 mile: 10,8 s (204km/h) 126 mph
Weight: 5213 lbs
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-29-2019, 04:53 AM   #43
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
That's true, I believe that Taycan reserves/spares about 12% for battery degradation, where Tesla has all 100% available for charging. But the fact is that even with its superior drag coefficient Taycan is extremely inefficient compared to Tesla. Not really sure why.
The Taycan has a lot of luxury items such as insulation, thicker glass panels, etc. etc. so it's already 400+ pounds heavier than the tesla. It also has a slightly smaller capacity battery and the 12% reserve as you mentioned. If it has the same size battery, unreserved battery capacity and 400 pounds less weight, I believe the range would be similar. I also suspect the Tesla has a better battery management program.

I would still buy a Panamera Hybrid over a Taycan simply for it's superior range and quick fueling. It's still incredibly quick!
0-60MPH in 2.9 seconds until the tires are bald or you run out of fuel.

Last edited by GenXer; 12-29-2019 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      01-08-2020, 05:58 AM   #44
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
The Taycan epitomizes why I'm against tax subsidies for these vehicles. It feels very wrong that even the poorest taxpayers have to help obviously very wealthy people pay for their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th vehicle. IMO there should be a limit on the price of an EV that receives tax subsidies. A low limit (thinking $30k) at that.