M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion All you need to know BMW M8 Competition

08-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #45
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
A fully loaded M8 Competition will reach close to $170,000 USD MSRP.

Who in their right mind would buy a BMW at that price point that will depreciate at least 40% of its value in 36 months?? Leasing is a different story, but still to have a lease payment over $2,000 dollars per month is crazy when you can lease so many other cars for similar lease payments. There are so many other choices in this price range. An LCI Audi R8 comes to mind at this price point, and it has a V10, which will go out of production in a few years, making it even more special.

In just a few short years time, the NA V10 will no longer be in production by any car manufacturer. The V12 is struggling to stay alive as well.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/l...or-v12-engine/
Don't forget that other competing brands in this price range depreciate just as fast. Mercedes, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Porsche etc. Depreciation doesn't stop rich folks from buying what they want. Especially if they buy it through their business and make it a business expense.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #46
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
The price is insane! If I were going to spend this kind of money 911 GT3 all day over this. I am very happy with my 2018 GT 350 for 60K, just as good if not better than every M3 I have owned. The NA flat plane V8 sound alone beats anything turbo BMW has at the moment, not to mention the handling and brakes. I do like the new X5 I have, but that might be my last BMW.
Appreciate 1
RPiM52855.50
      08-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #47
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4EVER View Post
Yeah, that's why I said this M8 looks better then the gigantic M3 grill
You're contradicting yourself. Hence you have not seen the G80 grill as it has not been revealed yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #48
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Barley 2.5 pages after several days - a car this capable with a 600hp V8 should be generating a lot more posts. That's a data point.
Appreciate 2
RPiM52855.50
clee1982796.00
      08-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #49
Adris
Private First Class
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW F92 M8

It is a nice car for sure, not sure how in US, but as I am based in EU, I would rather pay 2000 euros for lamborghini huricane than 1500 euros for BMW M8... (per month)
Appreciate 2
RPiM52855.50
jjasonSU194.00
      08-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #50
mhbrownie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI, BMW 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Barley 2.5 pages after several days - a car this capable with a 600hp V8 should be generating a lot more posts. That's a data point.
I think the addressable market for this car is just smaller than the smaller M cars, at least the coupe. For me it provides the comfort, size and perfomance that hits a sweet spot. I don't need a "practical car" car and love the lines of the coupe. I like BMW tech and I don't want to get in and out of a smaller car like the 911 every day . It also offers luxury features I will use like night vision that I will use (have it in my 750).

First to admit there aren't a ton of buyers like myself out there though. Perhaps after some m8 writeups and head to heads there might be more interest as a result.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #51
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:

Who in their right mind would buy a BMW at that price point that will depreciate at least 40% of its value in 36 months?? Leasing is a different story, but still to have a lease payment over $2,000 dollars per month is crazy when you can lease so many other cars for similar lease payments. There are so many other choices in this price range. An LCI Audi R8 comes to mind at this price point, and it has a V10, which will go out of production in a few years, making it even more special.

In just a few short years time, the NA V10 will no longer be in production by any car manufacturer. The V12 is struggling to stay alive as well.
Don't forget that other competing brands in this price range depreciate just as fast. Mercedes, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Porsche etc. Depreciation doesn't stop rich folks from buying what they want. Especially if they buy it through their business and make it a business expense.
Porsche depreciation is nowhere near bmw depreciation. Ask me how I know.
clee1982796.00
jjasonSU194.00
      08-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #52
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:

One word for you. Panamera.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #53
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For sure, but that's the only model that depreciates significantly, as opposed to every BMW model out there.
      08-09-2019, 11:48 PM   #54
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For sure, but that's the only model that depreciates significantly, as opposed to every BMW model out there.
Cayman depreciates like crazy also. So does the Boxer. But the Panamera is the only model with trunk space that's a Gran tourer. Comfortable on long drives and sporty. Try doing cross country in a 911 GT3.

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #55
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cayman depreciates like crazy also. So does the Boxer. But the Panamera is the only model with trunk space that's a Gran tourer. Comfortable on long drives and sporty. Try doing cross country in a 911 GT3.
Boxer and cayman depreciate from MSRP. BMWs depreciate from invoice. I love both brands, but I learned my lesson. BMWs to lease, Porsche's to buy.

I also highly doubt most buyers will be doing anything cross country in 150k+ cars.
      08-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #56
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Ugh, only if I had more money than common sense
At that price point I'd get a 911 turbo or GT car all day long. $170k???
      08-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #57
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
As the owner of a F06 M6. Im waiting to see the new M8 GC before making my decision.

Chances are ill be moving over to the new 911 Turbo S when it comes out.

Time will tell....
No offense, but 911 Turbo S is not even something for comparison, two totally different beasts.

I have a 991.2 TTS Cabrio and it’s a rocket ship when you want to go fast, tame when you don’t. Very light and nimble. Back seat is nearly useless (can fit 3 ppl for short drives), but could be a fantastic daily driver if one desires.

M8 Gran Coupe is more of a GT. Designed for long rides for 3-4 comfortably, with ability to be sporty. Different machines / categories.

I’m struggling with the 8 though.... likely picking up a M850i Gran Coupe for my daily (May wait for the M8), but something feels like it’s missing - has been hard to get excited about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #58
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Boxer and cayman depreciate from MSRP. BMWs depreciate from invoice. I love both brands, but I learned my lesson. BMWs to lease, Porsche's to buy.

I also highly doubt most buyers will be doing anything cross country in 150k+ cars.
Glad you agree to my original point that other brands depreciate just as much as the M8 will. Don't get me started on Mercedes. Lol

Follow me on Insta

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #59
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

If money not an issue then it's Aston Martin hands down. One of the nicest looking cars around at any price . Price of 4 C8's
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #60
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Tend to agree but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Personally with modern suspension and braking weight is just not what t used to be in terms of making or breaking a track experience. The M5 brakes from 100 10 ft sooner than the Civic type R and the Miata and takes for Lateral G forces. Of course you'll be buying expensive pads way way more on the fat pig BMW than the other light weight cars.

Im gonna say both the AMG GT and the BMW M8 are competing for the gentleman drivers track day cars. luxurious, eye catching, and most importantly extremely easy to drive at the limit vs a 911 or Lamborghini which spin a lot easier. That's Flaschs vision of the M8 anyway.

If Caterham and Lotus were smart they would slide in to the market that BMW and friends left and make some 2500-3000 lbs $50-$100k cars.

I doubt the 'hardcore'M crowd wants or needs all the fancy traction controls and electronics that drive up the cost, and all the lux feautures that drive up weight.

But as far as BMW is concerned sports cars don't sell these days without pig fat tech and luxury added in. And the active sway bars, turbo engines, and rear steering make up for the extra weight.
Agree but also see 3 other aspects here:
1. Halo cars don’t make profit but generate brand excitement which sells the sensible stuff. Example Porsche (911, 718) AMG (GT).
2. The 8 is a challenging one bearing in mind I have an M8 on allocation. In my eyes it is a missed opportunity; not luxurious or plush enough to mix it up with Bentley or the S Class Coupe and not sporty enough to hit the AMG GTS, 911 Turbo, AM Vantage or AMR.
3. The M8 has some pretty neat characteristics that can mix it up with the best but no stand out features that give it a place in the hierarchy of greats.

As a BMW fan, I am aching as i know they have the ingredients to produce the best but somehow choose not to; why is that?
Appreciate 3
Ozzie8641.00
limeypride4418.50
      08-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #61
Xangkool
Rep
Drives: M850i

Very nice but really expensive BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #62
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Not to get too off topic, but that wasn't my experience with the 981 when I traded it in for the M3. Just my $.02....

I would also say that there are probably not many people who would even try do drive significantly long distances in a GT3, much less cross country.

I can appreciate that some people will buy the M8, but I am also guessing it will perform the worst from a sales perspective when compared to the other M cars. You're just getting into a pricing point where not nearly as many people can swing it...now whether or not those figures = success to BMW, whatever they might be, that remains to be seen.
      08-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #63
Ozzie8
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW m850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Agree but also see 3 other aspects here:
1. Halo cars don’t make profit but generate brand excitement which sells the sensible stuff. Example Porsche (911, 718) AMG (GT).
2. The 8 is a challenging one bearing in mind I have an M8 on allocation. In my eyes it is a missed opportunity; not luxurious or plush enough to mix it up with Bentley or the S Class Coupe and not sporty enough to hit the AMG GTS, 911 Turbo, AM Vantage or AMR.
3. The M8 has some pretty neat characteristics that can mix it up with the best but no stand out features that give it a place in the hierarchy of greats.

As a BMW fan, I am aching as i know they have the ingredients to produce the best but somehow choose not to; why is that?
N & M can’t but agree with you. The concept 8, how good was that? Love my 8 but it could have been even better, I’m sure it will be the same for the M8C. Why is it so - your question - is spot on. I have a few theories:
1) the finance department takes over (no disrespect to all of the finance professionals out there)
2) manufacturing cannot tolerate unique elements in a highly homogenized and commoditized supply chain
3) the supervisory board prefer a more conservative appearance for the brand aligned to its history of aviation - motorcycles - cars
4) cosmic rays from outer space interfere with the referential integrity of the BMW six-sigma, lean, dev-ops, agile processes
Appreciate 1
N & M371.00
      08-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #64
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
4) cosmic rays from outer space interfere with the referential integrity of the BMW six-sigma, lean, dev-ops, agile processes
Well, that's a first! I've never seen the term 'referential integrity' used in a car forum. I see it/use it all too often at work... someone's a dev methinks.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #65
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

All that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie8 View Post
N & M can’t but agree with you. The concept 8, how good was that? Love my 8 but it could have been even better, I’m sure it will be the same for the M8C. Why is it so - your question - is spot on. I have a few theories:
1) the finance department takes over (no disrespect to all of the finance professionals out there)
2) manufacturing cannot tolerate unique elements in a highly homogenized and commoditized supply chain
3) the supervisory board prefer a more conservative appearance for the brand aligned to its history of aviation - motorcycles - cars
Agree wholeheartedly which is why they need to break this circuit and do something different. Business need risky thinking once in a while to stimulate them and kick start a cycle of mega success otherwise they continue cycle of incremental irrelevance.
Appreciate 1
Ozzie8641.00