M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion BMW M8 vs M850i vs M-Benz S63 photo comparison

06-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #67
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
The TTS is a super car. It's built in comparable numbers as a super/exotic, same price range well equipped, and performance is on par or better than most exotics in its price range (570s, 488, huracan, etc). These are the cars the turbo was built to compete with. Not an M8 or an S63.

I agree with your perspective though on why weight and size is an issue here.
Agreed that the 911Turbo/s is comparable if not better than many hypercars. but it is never labeled as an exotic. Porsche does not command the premium a Ferrari or McLaren does. It is much closer in price to a BMW flagship (M8) than the exotics.

Nomenclature aside, my issue is why does BMW not build true sports cars, instead of build GTs. They have been going after AMG for a decade plus, this leads to higher growth in the medium term, but loses enthusiasts and street cred, which hurts the brand longer term. And that long term has arrived.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #68
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras550 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
The TTS is a super car. It's built in comparable numbers as a super/exotic, same price range well equipped, and performance is on par or better than most exotics in its price range (570s, 488, huracan, etc). These are the cars the turbo was built to compete with. Not an M8 or an S63.

I agree with your perspective though on why weight and size is an issue here.
Agreed that the 911Turbo/s is comparable if not better than many hypercars. but it is never labeled as an exotic. Porsche does not command the premium a Ferrari or McLaren does. It is much closer in price to a BMW flagship (M8) than the exotics.

Nomenclature aside, my issue is why does BMW not build true sports cars, instead of build GTs. They have been going after AMG for a decade plus, this leads to higher growth in the medium term, but loses enthusiasts and street cred, which hurts the brand longer term. And that long term has arrived.
That's true. I see your point. I also agree that BMW should build a true 911 competitor instead of their current lineup. Should have done it with the Z lineup.
      12-07-2019, 04:07 AM   #69
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
M6 had a much wider fender vs. 650i.

There is literally no perceivable difference besides the tires and badge.
      12-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #70
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
M8 and 850 are essentially identical
Which is why from an aesthetics standpoint I went with the M850i as will never hit the track and cannot justify the cost differential for the M8 additional performance.
Appreciate 0