M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Blacked out Dravit grey 8 series

05-18-2019, 03:31 AM   #1
Spencenyc
Private
Rep
Drives: G12 75i xdrive

Blacked out Dravit grey 8 series

Photos of 850 Dravit... thoughts ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-18-2019, 03:32 AM   #2
Spencenyc
Private
Rep
Drives: G12 75i xdrive

Thoughts??
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencenyc View Post
Thoughts??
Gorgeous!

The person who owns that vehicle has excellent taste and is one lucky driver. Do you know him?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I like, that's why I bought one in January!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
JB_H
France
Rep
Drives: 640i Cab, M850i on order

I can't agree more!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

I've seen far too many Camaro's in my life to ever like Dravit Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

I don't understand the fascination of dull, dark grey. Looks dirty before it's even off the lot. So gloomy too. It looks like a stormy sky right before a tornado. I don't get it. Such an expensive and beautiful car but those dull colors don't compliment it. Why not a brighter color that complements the lines?
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

Accepting that, in general, NA and Europe have different tastes Dravit Grey is very special. As a side grey is the most popular colour in the UK now!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
I don't understand the fascination of dull, dark grey. Looks dirty before it's even off the lot. So gloomy too. It looks like a stormy sky right before a tornado. I don't get it. Such an expensive and beautiful car but those dull colors don't compliment it. Why not a brighter color that complements the lines?
Serious question: Have you ever actually seen Dravit Grey in the wild, especially in the sunlight?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
mptpa
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i

Quote:
It is personal preference. Under bright sunlight, the coppery or gold kind of metallic shimmers and looks awesome. But in the darker ambient conditions, the color is totally different and subtle. So you get a twofer. It is not my personal choice but it works for others. That is the beauty of being able to personalize using paint!!! So don't diss someone's preference.
2015 M4 (ED Aug 2014) Austin Yellow/Sakhir Orange, EXEC, DCT, LED, Driver Assist (SOLD)
2015 328GT (ED Apr 15), White, loaded (Wife's)
2012 X3 2.8, Dark Blue/Red (Wife's SOLD)
Retired: 2011 535i, ED / 2008 335is / 2006 525i ED,
2003 525i ED / 2002 Audi TT
Appreciate 4
jjasonSU194.00
Ibiza3605.00
      05-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Serious question: Have you ever actually seen Dravit Grey in the wild, especially in the sunlight?
Yes, I have. I'm fortunate to live near 2 dealerships that have many individual deliveries, so I have seen almost all the colors. There are many colors that are "cool" to look at in the showroom. But it's much different to live with the colors.

It's not just Dravit Grey that I don't prefer...it's really all greys. I just don't understand how people covet a color that represents nothingness. It's not a "diss", just a true mystery to me. Do grey car owners like cloudy, rainy skies or something?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

My M6 is Singapore Grey and I completely agree with dark Grey being boring. There are other colors that show the m850i off much better, I’ve driven one in Dravit and even in direct sunlight it looks a bit weird, it kind of goes brown
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #13
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 M50d (F16), i3 REx, M850i (

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
My M6 is Singapore Grey and I completely agree with dark Grey being boring. There are other colors that show the m850i off much better, I’ve driven one in Dravit and even in direct sunlight it looks a bit weird, it kind of goes brown
Here's why're Dravit grey has many looks depending on the lighting conditions

A close up shows orange, red and green flecks. If you don't like it you don't have to order it. Personally, I love it,
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Wing Co239.00
Ibiza3605.00
      05-21-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I have. I'm fortunate to live near 2 dealerships that have many individual deliveries, so I have seen almost all the colors. There are many colors that are "cool" to look at in the showroom. But it's much different to live with the colors.

It's not just Dravit Grey that I don't prefer...it's really all greys. I just don't understand how people covet a color that represents nothingness. It's not a "diss", just a true mystery to me. Do grey car owners like cloudy, rainy skies or something?
If asking why people like "colour x" is a serious question... it's probably best answered by asking oneself why BMW selected (after much research) a base colour and polychromatic flakes as only one of 7 colours available (in my local market), and why so many so many 8 owners have chosen it for their own car.

The real mystery is not why people choose the colour, but why you are unable to comprehend personal preferences that do not conform to your spectra bias. That alone is certainly worth a few hours on the couch finding answers.

Having got that off my chest, I'll return to the substance of my perfectly chosen M850i Dravit grey scheme, and bask in its enigmatic glory.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Wing Co239.00
mptpa251.00
      05-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #15
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Burt View Post
The real mystery is not why people choose the colour, but why you are unable to comprehend personal preferences that do not conform to your spectra bias. That alone is certainly worth a few hours on the couch finding answers.

Having got that off my chest, I'll return to the substance of my perfectly chosen M850i Dravit grey scheme, and bask in its enigmatic glory.
and +1
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Great color combo! The color is stunning in person.
      05-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #17
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

"Do grey car owners like cloudy, rainy skies or something"

Well, here's one I particularly liked from last week around Günzburg.

(OK, I'll let this go now)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #18
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
"Do grey car owners like cloudy, rainy skies or something"

Well, here's one I particularly liked from last week around Günzburg.

(OK, I'll let this go now)
Dravit Grey in the sky!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #19
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
No, the real mystery is why we call it "color" and Brits call it "colour"... Just kidding!

Yes, as you said, I am sitting on a couch finding answers by asking you: why grey. What is it about a dull color that attracts some people to it? Dravit might have flakes, but 99% of it is grey. Hopefully you can comprehend why many people cannot understand this and help solve this enigma.

To me, choosing grey is like buying a numb car, like a Toyota, when you could have bought a BMW (assuming same exact price, features, quality, reliability). Why would anyone do that?! Help many of us understand this conundrum.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #20
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, the real mystery is why we call it "color" and Brits call it "colour"... Just kidding!

Yes, as you said, I am sitting on a couch finding answers by asking you: why grey. What is it about a dull color that attracts some people to it? Dravit might have flakes, but 99% of it is grey. Hopefully you can comprehend why many people cannot understand this and help solve this enigma.

To me, choosing grey is like buying a numb car, like a Toyota, when you could have bought a BMW (assuming same exact price, features, quality, reliability). Why would anyone do that?! Help many of us understand this conundrum.

Thanks!
OK. Challenge accepted. ~I'm troll fodder. Let's just all agree that the following is not grounded in anything remotely useful. Think of it as "Pub talk", and I am clearly bored when I should be working.

Colour/colour: Well, the 11 century French gave us many, many crackingly useful words, and to thank them we [the future English] either misspelt or mispronounced them all. But to be fair the French did rather bastardise the old Latin versions of words like "colorare", leaving the hodgepodge of word roots that still confuse newly literate children today. Our American cousins just simplified some of this madness, because words like "colour" have unstressed vowels -- which is a sensible thing to do.

(I'm getting there...)

We get attached to what is familiar and try to form relationships with things we like or feel comfortable with. An example would be the relationships we feel towards regional spellings of words like "colour" or relationships with actual colours, like... (ooh what shall I choose?)... Dravit Grey! Creating relationships is perhaps the essence of the reason why we choose. We choose something because innately we want to form relationships -- and things we put serious thought into and definitively choose often form the strongest connections. Partnerships are good examples. Choose to be with, choose to stay with, choose to evolve with.... the object of our desires.

(Don't worry, I'll get there eventually....)

But choices are made for many reasons; examples; fear, doubt, expedience, or confidence. Whatever the motivator a choice is arrived at that is optimal for the individual. From an external perspective, an individual's choice may be incomprehensible to an observer. This should be no surprise; an explanation may not be possible unless the observer can actually <be> the individual making the choice. Something that he/she never can be. So if you don't understand someone's choice, you don't have to fret about it. Maybe only the individual can be accountable for that choice.

However, if you witness many people making the same selection [choice] and you still can't fathom it -- and you are unable to even posit some logic or rationale for the choice, you probably have a weird defect in your logic circuits. Check the empathy sub-system first, and then check your affinity modules, and see if you can at least project an affinity onto other people's decisions. Human evolution has probably benefited from being able to understand and accept other's choices, so don't give up. Until then the secret is -- keep bashing the rocks together....
Appreciate 3
jjasonSU194.00
thebmw1631.00
      05-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #21
Rogerha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 840d Dravit Grey

I love all the references to a grey sky

Here is my new 840d in Dravit Grey (if I attached it right), Blacked out, against a grey sky for comparison !!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #22
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Mr_Burt, you're awesome Probably the most animated person I have "met" who likes grey...or is it gray? We'll have to get together to discuss this further next time I'm on your side of the pond!
Appreciate 0