M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Idrive 7 Connection Issues Fix

04-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
bdmarc
Rep
Drives: BMW 850i convertible, BMW iX

Idrive 7 Connection Issues Fix

After about 10 days of flawless operation, I lost the car's (my new M850i convertible) connection to my iPhone and data to both the weather and news widgets. Tried removing the connection from both the phone and the car and reconnecting, but the car would not recognize the iPhone. Called the BMW Genius line and they successfully talked me through the solution: with car running, reset Idrive by pressing and holding the volume control knob until the screen blanks, then release. Idrive will reboot. Then go to apps and update the apps. Then pair the phone. All seems ok now!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I find it drops out every now and then and on returning to the car it is working again. Same with self locking doors - sometimes it just stops, then after a lock/unlock by the handle and engine start it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Spencenyc
Private
Rep
Drives: G12 75i xdrive

I got my 8 series March 26th... the connected drive hasn’t worked yet... no 3D remote and no remote input of address.

Pretty embarrassing for a brand new vehicle
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
Mr_Burt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 M50d (F16), i3 REx, M850i (

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencenyc View Post
I got my 8 series March 26th... the connected drive hasn’t worked yet... no 3D remote and no remote input of address.

Pretty embarrassing for a brand new vehicle
I've spoken to ConnectedDrive customer services (UK) several times. They told me there have been major problems for some time (they wouldn't say for how long), but they thought it would all be fixed by Friday. Probably.

I'm not re-phrasing the conversation. This was literally their response. I'm really frustrated as well. ConnectedDrive is a really important service. Any impact to individual components has a disproportional effect on my view of the brand.

I'm not sure that BMW has ever get the off-car software right. It is significantly behind the quality of the primary automotive product.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #5
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I've very positive about it and the service. Sometimes the weather app does not load. I main navigation screen went blank the other day, but stop, lock, unlock and re-start and normal again. Same when using the to top button on the left stalk to scroll through the functions on teh right binnacle screen - sometimes stops working, then after but stop, lock, unlock and re-start and normal again. Wifi works fine, sending messages and locations to navigation the same. 3D view also fine, need mirrors out though. Hey BMW is really good. Overall I's say it's very good and the market leader, although I've only briefly used other argues this is what the motoring pundits also say.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:08 AM   #6
Spencenyc
Private
Rep
Drives: G12 75i xdrive

How do you deliver a luxury flagship vehicle with a major operational defect with no anticipated remedy schedule....? BMW should be in contact and emailing the affected users weekly...

Granted it’s not a core defect, but I go w BMW over their competitors because of their advance electronic capabilities..They’re very blasé
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Other intermittent connection issues (and workarounds) involving my M850i and an iPhone XS:

- I've found that if two iPhones are paired to the car and both are in the car (or near it), the system often becomes confused and ends up connecting to the wrong phone or none at all. The "solution" - I've had to unpair my wife's phone.

- I've found that if any other Apple device is in the car, such as an iPad that auto-connects to the car's wi-fi and/or the car's Bluetooth, the car is reluctant to connect to my phone if I'm trying to access both iDrive and CarPlay. Generally, it will connect to just iDrive.

- Under other circumstances - nothing but me and my phone in the car - I can easily swap between iDrive and CarPlay by touching the home screen. Unless the phone is on the wireless charging pad. Then, it won't recognize or go to CarPlay.

- When I place the iPhone on the wireless charging pad, the phone automatically goes to the Apple Pay screen. I am not making that up.
---
Separately, I am a fan of (and former consultant for) XM satellite radio. (To me, it always will be just "XM".) Anyway, I am noticing many more dropouts in sat-radio reception in the M850 than I've ever experienced with any other BMW model or any other car from any manufacturer. I stumbled upon a schematic that seemed to show that the sat-radio antenna is buried in the M850's rear driver-side fender, since there is no shark fin antenna on this model. That almost certainly is the source of the reception issue. Anyone else noticing the same?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 04-20-2019 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
JB_H
France
Rep
Drives: 640i Cab, M850i on order

I confirm the iPhone intermittent connection problems reported in this thread, My solution is to disable the hot spot (wifi access point) feature and most of my connection problems are gone.

I confirm the phone going to the apple pay screen when placed on the induction charger, this is likely due to the activation of the NFC chip in the phone by the idrive: BMW was supposed to release the NFC 2.0 software for apple iOS in March to turn the phone in a keyless system....

When stopping at a freeway toll booth in France, and using apple carplay, the screen goes blank ! It has happened to me many time. System reboots after leaving the booth. Again my interpretation is that the car is being impaired by the toll system using NFC.

Definitely not very professional from BMW's software group. Problem exists probably on the rest of the BMW line (new X5 and 7). I have had my car since February. Should have been corrected by then.

Other than that the car is a blast, I raced a Nissan GTR the other day and hit 250 Km/h on the freeway. Thank you Waze!
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #9
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_H View Post
I confirm the iPhone intermittent connection problems reported in this thread, My solution is to disable the hot spot (wifi access point) feature and most of my connection problems are gone.

I confirm the phone going to the apple pay screen when placed on the induction charger, this is likely due to the activation of the NFC chip in the phone by the idrive: BMW was supposed to release the NFC 2.0 software for apple iOS in March to turn the phone in a keyless system....

When stopping at a freeway toll booth in France, and using apple carplay, the screen goes blank ! It has happened to me many time. System reboots after leaving the booth. Again my interpretation is that the car is being impaired by the toll system using NFC.

Definitely not very professional from BMW's software group. Problem exists probably on the rest of the BMW line (new X5 and 7). I have had my car since February. Should have been corrected by then.

Other than that the car is a blast, I raced a Nissan GTR the other day and hit 250 Km/h on the freeway. Thank you Waze!
I have a X7 with the same iDrive 7 system as the new 8 but when iOS 12.2 was released it resolved the Apple Pay pop up issue when placing the phone on the charging pad. The only remaining issue for me is the iPhone not always reconnecting. I have to restart my iPhone when this happens.
Appreciate 0