M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lucid Air goes 235 mph without speed limiter

07-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You havent read their press statement correctly....
I did, they go electric of plugins/hybrids which is electric no pure combustion engine
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #24
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
I did, they go electric of plugins/hybrids which is electric no pure combustion engine
Yes but you said 'all electric'
A hybrid is not 'all electric'.
They're basically going to do what toyota has been trying for years, in europe at least. Here toyota only has a few models left that arent available as hybrids (only the aygo, gt86 and the few landcruisers/hiluxes that are sold here come to mind. )
So its not that much of a revolutionairy plan.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

arent available as hybrids is not like all cars are hybrids.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Yes but you said 'all electric'
A hybrid is not 'all electric'.
They're basically going to do what toyota has been trying for years, in europe at least. Here toyota only has a few models left that arent available as hybrids (only the aygo, gt86 and the few landcruisers/hiluxes that are sold here come to mind. )
So its not that much of a revolutionairy plan.
You're correct that they won't be all electric, but Volvo will have some form of hybrid in every car sold, not just an available hybrid for each model.

So while Toyota has a hybrid Camry, they still offer a pure ICE Camry. Volvo won't be building pure ICE cars in a few years. MB will likely be close behind, their new transmissions have a spot for hybrid motors, regardless of car configuration.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Volvo won't be building pure ICE cars in a few years.
true. But like I said toyota hardly sells any pure ice cars here. 90% of what they sell here is probably hybrid (mainly auris/prius/c-hr). we also dont get the camry.
So its not that far away from what toyota is selling now for the bulk of the numbers (in europe). So that makes it not as progressive as they'd like it to sound I think. But Volvo is a relatively small manufacturer with a small lineup, so for them its also easier to accomplish.

Also the press statement I believe said that volvo is going to bring out a pure electric carversion (so 'all electric') of every model in their lineup (I think 5 in total). Dont know how soon though. But that is more all electric models I think than any other manufacturer currently has. But development in this sector goes crazy fast, so in 2 or 3 years the playingfield will have drastically changed I suspect.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-11-2017 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Volvo won't be building pure ICE cars in a few years.
true. But like I said toyota hardly sells any pure ice cars here. 90% of what they sell here is probably hybrid (mainly auris/prius/c-hr). we also dont get the camry.
So its not that far away form what toyota is selling now for the bulk of the numbers (in europe). So that makes it not as progressive as they'd like it to sound I think.

Also the press statement I believe said that volvo is going to bring out a pure electric carversion (so 'all electric') of every model in their lineup. Dont know how soon though.
Yeah, but Toyota probably sells more V6 Camrys here than all the cars they sell in Norway. So it's still kinda a big deal for Volvo.

And yeah, Volvo will apparently offer a regular hybrid, plug in hybrid and pure electric on each platform globally. No one even comes close to that currently.
Appreciate 0