M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Transmission Filter/Fluid Change On 2015 Mazda 6

03-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #1
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

Transmission Filter/Fluid Change On 2015 Mazda 6

For a little background this is an Aisin-Warner transmission, which is apparently based on the ZF6HP. They actually do feel quite similar. For starters you got a little spot in the corner for your nice big pan magnet, which you can see at the top of the pan.

Mileage was at around 103,000 miles when the service was done. I don't think the bottom of the pan looks too dirty for the mileage. Here's a closer look at the magnet. Looks pretty filled to capacity with metal shavings:

... And here is the same magnet after wiping it down. Back into the new pan it goes...

Then, right above the pan, sandwiched in between the pan and the transmission itself is your filter and strainer. When you turn your car off, all the ATF fluid sits at the bottom of the pan. The transmission pump then begins to pump ATF fluid around the unit. The fluid goes through the filter box to strain out the fluid before it reaches the unit itself. All the sludge, which is mostly metal shavings mixed with old ATF fluid is supposed to stay at the bottom of your pan. Here it is:

Here I managed to get a shot inside the filter. Obviously it looks really dirty, but that is why the bottom of the pan is pretty clean and free of shavings. Many other cars don't have a filter at all, just a strainer meaning at around this mileage the bottom of the pan will be full with metal shavings.

About half of the ATF capacity (8L) drained out when we dropped the pan. It looked dirty but not horrible, didn't smell burnt and it still had some useful lubricational properties from what I can tell when I rubbed it on my finger. By keeping the inside of your transmission free from these metal shavings, you are protecting your valve body and shift solenoids which may get damaged over time due to the ATF fluid which has exponentially higher than usual metal values when left sealed inside the transmission for so long.

First Drive - Initial Impressions:

The transmission now shifts notably quicker and more smooth than before. Overall it was a $290 CAD (with oil change) well spent in my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Well done, thanks for sharing.

Car dealers know the transmission is the main item preventing 300k mile service life for many vehicles. Dealers rampantly spew the statement that transmissions are sealed for life. Rubbish and they know it. VW dealers in particular refuse to change transmission oil, even when cash is waved in front of their noses to do the work.

Regular (every 80k-100k miles) transmission oil change is a way to achieve 300k miles on many vehicles these days, assuming all other maintenance is kept up with.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Well done, thanks for sharing.

Car dealers know the transmission is the main item preventing 300k mile service life for many vehicles. Dealers rampantly spew the statement that transmissions are sealed for life. Rubbish and they know it. VW dealers in particular refuse to change transmission oil, even when cash is waved in front of their noses to do the work.

Regular (every 80k-100k miles) transmission oil change is a way to achieve 300k miles on many vehicles these days, assuming all other maintenance is kept up with.
Deny a transmision flush now, in hopes of collecting a very expensive transmission replacement service at 2x the price, straight from your wallet.

Then, off your old transmission goes for a rebuild, and then into another customers car who didn't service their transmission. They don't care about anything but maximizing profit.

Personally, I am very impressed to see a quality metal transmission pan with its own dedicated filter (situated between the pan and the trans/solenoids itself) along with a nice big useful magnet. Even on the 100k$ 7 series, you will find only a plastic pan with a tiny magnet and a crappy built in filter which does practically nothing.

On a BMW, ill replace the panfilter every 50k miles religiously. I only use Redline D4 fluid. What a difference there was after changing mine at 67k miles... Looked much more filthy at the bottom of my pan than the Mazda with 100k miles. Looks like the filter is really doing its job here.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Yes, it's amazing the color and smell of used transmission fluid at over 100k miles, compared to engine or axle oil at much lower mileages.

I expect to see more common examples of 300k mileage posted on forums like this one and others, as transmission fluid change becomes more widespread.

Carmakers and dealers are silent, or in denial about transmission fluid changes. Caveat emptor, as usual. The consumer needs to look out for himself/herself, as usual.
Appreciate 0