M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

02-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #1937
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt

Hit the gym last night , lifts are feeling good , weighed in at 247 this AM so back on the downward path which is awesome , should def have my abs back by summer , I have a few more months to grind it out and stick with the plan before then!
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      02-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #1938
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Lets see, had a meeting with a potential wedding DJ yesterday. Turned into a few drinks and some really good Thai food. Honestly the best Pad Thai I've had. So long story short I was a little bloated and dehydrated this morning at 4:30am. Still pushed through to the gym. Incline treadmill to start, then lifted arms, followed by stairs and more treadmill. Really wanted to get a good sweat going to get some of those toxins out of my body haha. All in all a solid workout, and felt much better physically after compared to how I woke up!
Appreciate 1
tony55343101.50
      02-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #1939
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I got up and havent went, guess shoulders tonight
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #1940
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Finally found some old lifting photos and videos.

Found the video that I thought I lost! Loading an atlas stone to a tall box, passing out, hitting the ground, and having the atlas stone roll back, fall, and nearly crush my leg!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #1941
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Finally found some old lifting photos and videos.

Found the video that I thought I lost! Loading an atlas stone to a tall box, passing out, hitting the ground, and having the atlas stone roll back, fall, and nearly crush my leg!
That must have sucked. Ive done Atlas stones before, but being shorter....it didn't work out to well.
      02-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #1942
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I haven't been to the gym in weeks because of family issues. And I'm not stressing it. I actually look almost beach ready from the weight I've lost...just my muscles don't have that "pop" factor. The vascularity is still there.

But for the past two weeks, I've had the chance to work one on one with my dad and his PT in the rehab place.

I've been with him everday through 3 hours of PT each day alternating upper body and lower body. He's even doing it the same days he has dialysis which surprised the health care people as hemo-dialysis is supposed to take a lot out of you.

He went into the hospital at almost 213lbs. Between the fluid he was carrying from kidney failure and getting in a proper diet....today almost 4 weeks later he weighed in at 156 lbs.

I hate what he's had to go through, but this has brought us so much closer to each other. He told me if I wasn't there, he would probably not be putting in the effort he is as I am pushing him when I know he can do more.

The PT's have basically given me his exercises for the day, and let me have at it while they supervise. So if he's on a bike, so am I. If he's working with resistance bands, I'm right there doing the same thing.

Then I eat dinner with him there. I let him make the meal choice, and he's learning how to properly eat.

Now when I show up....he's asking me if I'm ready for my "butt whipping". His progress is so good, they are saying he may actually get to go home after another week!

He will be on dialysis the rest of his life, but ironically will also have the chance to be in the best shape of his life in the last 15 years!
JP102462.00
tony55343101.50
King Rudi13152.00
      02-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #1943
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
So I haven't been to the gym in weeks because of family issues. And I'm not stressing it. I actually look almost beach ready from the weight I've lost...just my muscles don't have that "pop" factor. The vascularity is still there.

But for the past two weeks, I've had the chance to work one on one with my dad and his PT in the rehab place.

I've been with him everday through 3 hours of PT each day alternating upper body and lower body. He's even doing it the same days he has dialysis which surprised the health care people as hemo-dialysis is supposed to take a lot out of you.

He went into the hospital at almost 213lbs. Between the fluid he was carrying from kidney failure and getting in a proper diet....today almost 4 weeks later he weighed in at 156 lbs.

I hate what he's had to go through, but this has brought us so much closer to each other. He told me if I wasn't there, he would probably not be putting in the effort he is as I am pushing him when I know he can do more.

The PT's have basically given me his exercises for the day, and let me have at it while they supervise. So if he's on a bike, so am I. If he's working with resistance bands, I'm right there doing the same thing.

Then I eat dinner with him there. I let him make the meal choice, and he's learning how to properly eat.

Now when I show up....he's asking me if I'm ready for my "butt whipping". His progress is so good, they are saying he may actually get to go home after another week!

He will be on dialysis the rest of his life, but ironically will also have the chance to be in the best shape of his life in the last 15 years!
This is really great man. Glad that everything is going well. The sentence I put in bold about gave me goosebumps just reading. Really shows how much your support means to him. No father wants to let down their son, and being there day by day has given him that drive. Just awesome!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #1944
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not fast enough

After taking about 2 weeks off from the gym because of work travels and just needing some rest, it feels good to be back. My diet the past 2 weeks was bad.

This week I hit 205lbs on bench press, which is a huge PR for me. The last time I benched my PR was 175lbs. I am on track to hitting 225lbs by summer.

Deadlifted this week but only hit my PR of 345lbs. I attempted 365lbs first, but it just wasn't moving. This puts me behind in February as I need to increase DL by 20lbs a month to hit 405lbs by May/June.

Gotta start watching what I eat, I'm naturally very lean but I've noticed weight gain in stomach area which isn't flattering.

Last time I weighed myself I was around 152. I'm probably now around 157-165 @ 5'9.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #1945
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear about your father's health. Where I come from we are always taught, family comes first. I admire your devotion and you being there for your father.

Wish you both nothing but the best.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #1946
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by downshiftapex View Post
After taking about 2 weeks off from the gym because of work travels and just needing some rest, it feels good to be back. My diet the past 2 weeks was bad.

This week I hit 205lbs on bench press, which is a huge PR for me. The last time I benched my PR was 175lbs. I am on track to hitting 225lbs by summer.

Deadlifted this week but only hit my PR of 345lbs. I attempted 365lbs first, but it just wasn't moving. This puts me behind in February as I need to increase DL by 20lbs a month to hit 405lbs by May/June.

Gotta start watching what I eat, I'm naturally very lean but I've noticed weight gain in stomach area which isn't flattering.

Last time I weighed myself I was around 152. I'm probably now around 157-165 @ 5'9.
If you're hitting 205 now, 225 by summer is definitely possible. As for the deadlift I'd keep your "bad" diet where it is and just crush it in the gym. Makes sense that you would put some weight on in the mid-section when not working out and a bad diet, but if you keep that diet and lift your ass off the weight will move to where it is needed. As you said you're naturally very lean, so adding physical activity variable will yield some solid results in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #1947
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep

Stoked to hit the gym tonight , going to add a couple more exercises into my routine now that I have been back at it a couple months and feeling good about my progress. Time to ramp things up and grind hard to be ready for summer time!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #1948
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
If you're hitting 205 now, 225 by summer is definitely possible. As for the deadlift I'd keep your "bad" diet where it is and just crush it in the gym. Makes sense that you would put some weight on in the mid-section when not working out and a bad diet, but if you keep that diet and lift your ass off the weight will move to where it is needed. As you said you're naturally very lean, so adding physical activity variable will yield some solid results in my opinion.
Thanks man.

I've wanted 225 for the longest time and just hitting 205 made me ecstatic. I hit 175, then 185, and said why not go for 205.

My abs are gone but hitting PRs makes up for it I guess lol.

My gym just gone one of those U shaped sprinting treadmills, were this is no way to set a speed. You just start running and it gets faster and faster. I'm excited to try it but also don't want to be that guy that falls and gets thrown across the gym lol.

I'm struggling getting my legs to grow. Since I'm lean, so are my legs. I can squat 315 but they aren't growing and its driving me nuts. Any advice? I'm considering just increasing the amount of sets and reps I do even on strength days.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #1949
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man.

I've wanted 225 for the longest time and just hitting 205 made me ecstatic. I hit 175, then 185, and said why not go for 205.

My abs are gone but hitting PRs makes up for it I guess lol.

My gym just gone one of those U shaped sprinting treadmills, were this is no way to set a speed. You just start running and it gets faster and faster. I'm excited to try it but also don't want to be that guy that falls and gets thrown across the gym lol.

I'm struggling getting my legs to grow. Since I'm lean, so are my legs. I can squat 315 but they aren't growing and its driving me nuts. Any advice? I'm considering just increasing the amount of sets and reps I do even on strength days.
I've always wanted to try one of those treadmills, jealous you got one. Let me know how it goes, try to video it so we catch the fall lol!

As for the legs, try some quad concentration. Squating is great, but need some other iterations to see some real growth. Sissy squats, close stance leg press, close stance smith machine squats, etc.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      02-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #1950
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your father's health. Where I come from we are always taught, family comes first. I admire your devotion and you being there for your father.

Wish you both nothing but the best.
Thanks guys. It means a lot. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will get back to my routine.

If I'm not lifting, I lose weight like crazy. The good thing is that muscle memory is real. Give me 2 months and I can be back hitting pretty much on all cylinders and look like I haven't missed anytime at all. Plus starting back as lean as I am, my body will be like a sponge!
      02-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #1951
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've always wanted to try one of those treadmills, jealous you got one. Let me know how it goes, try to video it so we catch the fall lol!

As for the legs, try some quad concentration. Squating is great, but need some other iterations to see some real growth. Sissy squats, close stance leg press, close stance smith machine squats, etc.
+1.

Also try higher reps for a change. You are on your feet most of the day, so you have to pretty much force them to grow. And calories have to be present for that.

My lower body always responds better to higher reps (15+)...it's a dense muscle group.

Just make sure to maintain proper form as you can easily tweek something since higer reps are so taxing.
      02-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #1952
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

The thing is there is no stop button on them. You have to jump off and I've seen some guys hit 21mph on them. I'd imagine if someone is doing back to back sprints there is a chance your legs give out and things will go bad lol.

Thank you for the tips, I'm going to give it a try.

Quote:
Thanks guys. It means a lot. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will get back to my routine.

If I'm not lifting, I lose weight like crazy. The good thing is that muscle memory is real. Give me 2 months and I can be back hitting pretty much on all cylinders and look like I haven't missed anytime at all. Plus starting back as lean as I am, my body will be like a sponge!
Muscle memory is amazing and once you get back into your routine and diet you will be back to your weight in no time. Some protein and creatine will help as well. I'd say a month with a proper routine and diet.

Quote:
+1.

Also try higher reps for a change. You are on your feet most of the day, so you have to pretty much force them to grow. And calories have to be present for that.

My lower body always responds better to higher reps (15+)...it's a dense muscle group.

Just make sure to maintain proper form as you can easily tweek something since higer reps are so taxing.
I'm going to do this. I feel like maybe my legs not growing is due to me only going for 6-8 reps. Going to try for at least 15 each set.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #1953
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Lifted back/tri Saturday and Shoulders/biceps yesterday. Also did about 6 hours of yard work and laid a couple thousand lbs of stone yesterday. Needless to say I ate whatever I wanted, whole body was aching as I crawled into bed last night. Woke up this morning not bloated, but my stomach is in knots from the amount of food. Lifted legs which was absolutely brutal due to my whole body being sore lol. Good workout nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #1954
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Saturday I STARTED with chest/bi, and then went home to do yardwork. That is a switch, and I like that I made time for the gym first. Sure, holding the blower was a bitch, shaving that night before dinner my bi almost cramped up, but I got it done.

Sunday was bicycle day. But I had more yardwork so rode the stationary bike the second period of the Kings game.

Tonight is shoulders. I really want to stay and do my tiem in the work gym, all by myself, with my total control of the music. But if I don't leave right at 4, I won't find space on the street to put the trash cans. I can still go to my normal gym after dinner (probably) Decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #1955
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep

Went into gym yesterday to just do some cardio on the treadmill. Ended up doing some curls and dead hangs since I was there . Tonight will be arms/chest/abs etc as well as some cardio. Loving the progress I am making as well as how good I feel overall !
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #1956
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I confess been crushing it lately, new heavier cycle doing an activate exercise, load for 2 exercises fail at 6 then exhaust 2 exercises 10-15 reps.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #1957
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I don't know who needs to see this, and sorry if it's already been posted, but I just saw it and had to share...

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #1958
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep

Went to the gym last night did some cardio, arms/chest/abs , feeling good , did the weekly weigh in this AM 246.1 so back on the downward path after my vacation and such (was 249 last week) as long as I can keep going down 2-3lb/week until summer I should be in a pretty good spot for beach season!
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00