M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos X1 gets the Go-ahead for Production

05-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

X1 gets the Go-ahead for Production

As suspected, the X1 gets the nod for production at the Leipzig facility. It'll go in the mix of 1ers already in production.

Stolen from this site: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01

BMW plans to build the new X1 small sport/utility vehicle at its plant in Leipzig, Germany, the automaker said today. The timing of the production launch has not been finalized.

BMW also said it plans to invest $155 million to improve the plant, which also makes the 3 series and the 1 series cars.

The X1 is a based on the 1 Series and will share some parts with the 3 Series. It's due in 2010, and will be smaller than the Mercedes B-Class.

The German automaker has been modifying its production strategy this year. In March it announced plans to move production of the next-generation X3 crossover to its Spartanburg, South Carolina, plant. The plant also builds the X6 and X5 SUVs.

BMW also moved assembly of the Z4 sports car from Spartanburg to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Glad to here it, I love my 135 so much, I could definitely go for one of these depending on how it shakes out. Maybe they will throw some of the efficient dynamic stuff our way or possibly some diesel engine options. Either way, I love having more options when car shopping.