M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Teach me to be better at driving stick shift

09-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Teach me to be better at driving stick shift

Alright, I recently learned how to drive a manual transmission (about a year ago) and although I have all the basics down and can drive the car nice and smooth with no jerkiness I am still having difficulty grasping some of the different terms.

For starters I have heard many people say that when driving a stick shift they don't use the break much, but instead they downshift. Can someone explain exactly what they do for this? If I am in 4th and want to slow and throw it into third gear I know the engine would rev higher and slow me down, but it seems to rev a bit too high (only tried this once) and I wanted to know if this was normal or if I should not be doing this at all.

Also, can someone explain exactly what rev matching is and when I should or should not be doing it? Thanks again for the insight in advance. I need to make sure I am more skilled by the time my 1 series coupe arrives.

Lips
      09-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Use the brake - in the old days, when brakes didn't always work that well you could downshift and use the engine to assist with braking (basically compression braking - something the truckers use via a device known as a jake brake - compression ignition engines (diesels) require a jake brake - spark iginition engines (gasoline) don't). Brakes are very good today - don't use the engine as a brake.

But you will want to be able to brake, select the right gear and also blip the throttle to rev-match the engine when negotiating corners. That's heel-and-toe downshifting. Takes practice. Matching revs reduces the lurch that would occur when reconnecting the drivetrain in the new gear (by releasing the clutch) when the drivetrain speed doesn't match the rear wheel speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I don't usually do it that way, in fact i've only done it once, but I had heard it from a bunch of people and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Explain the heel toe thing if you can. Like when i'm slowing down from 4th or whatever gear and now i'm putting it back in 3rd the car gets a little jerky. What I have been doing is when I put it in third I give some gas right as I release the clutch and it seems to not be as jerky. Is that what you are referencing???

Lips
      09-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips View Post
I don't usually do it that way, in fact i've only done it once, but I had heard it from a bunch of people and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Explain the heel toe thing if you can. Like when i'm slowing down from 4th or whatever gear and now i'm putting it back in 3rd the car gets a little jerky. What I have been doing is when I put it in third I give some gas right as I release the clutch and it seems to not be as jerky. Is that what you are referencing???

Lips
This should help explain what is going on in the heel/toe:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html

It is something that you just have to keep trying and trying until you get it smooth. Once you feel it, it becomes real easy but it takes a lot of work and for the street, I think it is mostly unnecessary.
      09-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I am not a street racer or even big into tracking my car so if this is something that is not needed in everyday driving then I doubt I will be trying it out anytime soon. Thanks for all the information though.
      09-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

It's perfectly fine to engine brake (which is what it's called). The engine will revv. As long as you don't over revv, you're fine. It's especially helpful downhill, when it's really better to avoid riding the brakes.

It's easier on the brakes, harder on the clutch, but does help keep the revvs up, which is good for spirited driving.

You don't have to heel and toe, or blip. That's pretty advanced. Take that on after you get used to downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

^^These guys are giving great advice!! A stick shift is my daily driver and I absolutely hate downshifting to slow down my car. There really is no big deal besides the engine sound. So I would recommend braking by pressing the clutch all the way and applying the break.
      09-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
blackjoker
Fonzie Up
Rep
Drives:

Heel and toe FTW! I practiced for so long to get heel and toe downshifting correct. I would go out late at night on long stretches of curvy roads and practice downshifting until I got it right. You just need practice. This website really helped me: http://www.standardshift.com/forum/. Good luck and manual trannies are the way to go!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks again for all the input. Engine braking on hills would not help me at all here in Florida, but I will keep that in mind if I ever move somewhere that isn't flat.