BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board My PSA to other drivers

08-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #45
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
We have a "Distracted Driving" offence under the Highway Traffic Act in Ontario. The fine is $1000 if I'm not mistaken. I'd be inclined to seize the phones and whatever holder he had them mounted to as "evidence of the offence" and "to prevent the continuation of the offence".....I used to love seizing property....
We need you out of retirement and on the force in Seattle!

The dude fashioned a foam holder to house all 8 phones so he could what, use them while on the side of the road? No! He made that contraption to use them while driving. Clearly. Still cant believe he was let go with a simple warning. The dude is a menace to everyone else on the road.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #46
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I'm down for making a PSA in relation to not changing thread titles, as not to confuse the good people of the forums.

The mods were just looking out for us as they knew what UncleWede wanted, whether expressed or not.

Do tell, because memory is the second thing to go

I'd also like to make a PSA about making PSA's all while explaining the difficulty in making a PSA about PSA's while avoiding subject changes in PSA make-ry. Then I would pause mid-PSA to create a round table discussion with everyone in the room concerning traffic safey.

I'll see myself out.....
I can't believe you've done this!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #47
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

PSA - Hazard lights

The hazard lights are a way to indicate that you are a hazard in the road, or have come across a hazard, and to warn other drivers. Hazard lights are NOT an excuse for illegal parking. Putting them on for the brief 15 minutes you illegally park in a handicap zone, in front of a fire hydrant, or just because you are too lazy/unskilled to pull to the side of the road while you un/load your children/groceries/dogs/whatever.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
vreihen1614889.50
MKSixer34171.50
      08-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #48
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I can't believe you've done this!
I can't believe, that you can't believe that I've done this. If someone was gonna, you should have known it would be me.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15573.50
      08-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #49
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Still no non-driving PSA’s, huh?

How about this : if you mash the crosswalk button a thousand times, the light will change faster.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #50
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Still no non-driving PSA’s, huh?

How about this : if you mash the crosswalk button a thousand times, the light will change faster.
Still car PSA: (since THEY changed my title) If you flash your high beams as you approach a red light, it will change to green sooner because it thinks you are an emergency vehicle.

Mixed-mode PSA: IF you are a pedestrian, and press the light on the crosswalk, do NOT immediately put your head back in your phone and proceed across the street. Those drivers with their head similarly pressed to the phone screen may not acknowledge either the warning lights or your presence in said crosswalk.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #51
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #52
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
if you mash the crosswalk button a thousand times, the light will change faster.
fake news
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #53
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
PSA - Hazard lights

The hazard lights are a way to indicate that you are a hazard in the road, or have come across a hazard, and to warn other drivers. Hazard lights are NOT an excuse for illegal parking. Putting them on for the brief 15 minutes you illegally park in a handicap zone, in front of a fire hydrant, or just because you are too lazy/unskilled to pull to the side of the road while you un/load your children/groceries/dogs/whatever.
I will piggyback off this one.

Don’t use your damn hazards when driving in the rain. We get it. There’s rain. I don’t need you to bring this to light. When we get in the absolute downpours, I’m seeing hazards and thinking I have a stopped vehicle in front of me.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #54
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post

Don’t use your damn hazards when driving in the rain. We get it. There’s rain. I don’t need you to bring this to light. When we get in the absolute downpours, I’m seeing hazards and thinking I have a stopped vehicle in front of me.
But, but but. I'm from Cali. I'm not even sure what this rain of which you speak is, so I'm going to react in a nontraditional, and potentially dangerous fashion. Don't you want to know??

self-
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      08-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #55
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Cali people don't flip on their hazards in the rain. They just double their speed to outrun it
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #56
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:

This.

It's raining so they flip their hazards on but continue to do 40 mph in the fast lane. Morons. At least they are warning us they are a driving hazard because they are dumb and shouldn't be on the road.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #57
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I see your concerns, but when some asshat decides to suddenly drop speed on the highway in front of me, I put on my flashers (we're talking below 45 on a highway that other traffic is at full speed) - I won't be on my brake constantly, and I surely don't want somebody to miss that we are going this slow. Once I acquire somebody behind me that is aware, not closing at a 20+ mph difference, I'll shut them off again.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      08-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #58
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Quote:

This.

It's raining so they flip their hazards on but continue to do 40 mph in the fast lane. Morons. At least they are warning us they are a driving hazard because they are dumb and shouldn't be on the road.
This is extremely common in south Florida where it rains a lot. I wonder where the practice comes from. Who thinks you are supposed to put on your hazards while driving in the rain?

Recently though the amber alert/information signs on the highway have started saying "lights on hazards off in the rain". Guess a lot of people still can't read though.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #59
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
This is extremely common in south Florida where it rains a lot. I wonder where the practice comes from. Who thinks you are supposed to put on your hazards while driving in the rain?

Recently though the amber alert/information signs on the highway have started saying "lights on hazards off in the rain". Guess a lot of people still can't read though.
People can’t figure out the difference between headlights and hazard lights. Both start with “h” I guess.
      08-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #60
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
In Cali, it's is now legal (and encouraged with lane markings) to use the complete right lane for bicycles.
I saw a lot of signs on Cape Cod this year stating "bicycles may use the entire lane", mostly on narrow twisty bits where there is no visibility for cars to make a safe pass. Yes it can be annoying to a driver but hey -- it's a vacation mecca. Chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I see your concerns, but when some asshat decides to suddenly drop speed on the highway in front of me, I put on my flashers (we're talking below 45 on a highway that other traffic is at full speed) - I won't be on my brake constantly, and I surely don't want somebody to miss that we are going this slow. Once I acquire somebody behind me that is aware, not closing at a 20+ mph difference, I'll shut them off again.
This. I think most highways and/or states have regulations to the effect of "flashers on under X MPH". That, and the dramatically reduced visibility in heavy rain, are two decent excuses for having flashers on in those conditions. But please stay out of the passing lane if you do this! Bad weather doesn't suddenly make you a law enforcement officer.

Re merging into lane reduction sections: around here people see a "right lane closed ahead" sign and instantaneously move into the left lane, even if the actual closure is a mile up the road. Then they put on their "perturbed, upset, and judgemental" hats and proceed to be assholes in various ways. It has caused massive backups and more than a few road rage incidents. It has gotten so bad that the state has actually had to put up signs that say "use both lanes up to the merge point". So that's my PSA. Use both lanes. And chill.

Last edited by wdb; 08-18-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #61
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
People can’t figure out the difference between headlights and hazard lights. Both start with “h” I guess.
Duh. They both have lights in the name. Leave them alone!!!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #62
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Brake late and carry as much speed into the corners as possible. Downshift when approaching every light to let them know you're there. If someone challenges you, metaphorically bitch-slap them with acceleration and when they pull up next to you at the next light, make sure to already be looking in their direction and meet them with a knowing smile.

That's how I handle everything when driving with the civilians. This is my PSA.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
cmyx6go15573.50
King Rudi13152.00
      08-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #63
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Brake late and carry as much speed into the corners as possible. Downshift when approaching every light to let them know you're there. If someone challenges you, metaphorically bitch-slap them with acceleration and when they pull up next to you at the next light, make sure to already be looking in their direction and meet them with a knowing smile.

That's how I handle everything when driving with the civilians. This is my PSA.
While reading this, I could hear it being spoken in the voice of Hunter S. Thompson.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #64
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
While reading this, I could hear it being spoken in the voice of Hunter S. Thompson.
Funny, I heard Mike Rowe

Appreciate 0