M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos E92/G37 Options

10-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #133
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I just don't get where the disconnect is. Infiniti owners are like real estate agents who keep trying to say how great a house is, even though it's not in a location that you want. To make the sale, they want you to compromise on your location, which is, um, pretty important if not the most important factor.

Nobody can deny the G is a great car, and it's great value. But according to R&T, there isn't a single category where the G37 beats the 335 on paper. Now add the real world driving to it and the G37 vibrates and uses a lot of fuel, and has less usable torque. Does that make it less than a great car? No. But it falls short of a 335 coupe.

Nissan should do us all a favor and put direct injection in that motor. If anything, it will vastly improve the fuel economy. It may also bump the power/torque up a bit, maybe not, because the motor revs so high to produce its current numbers. But its a V6, so some of that vibration cannot be removed, even with counter balance shafts, which will sap even more power and fuel economy.

not true, when i got my G35 over a 330 i was damn sure it's the one. i wouldnt even have looked at bmw at that point. when bmw came up with the 335 im like okay, only now bmw is the better one
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #134
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Exactly. You don't see many 335 owners lurking on a G3x forum talking ****. There'd be no point.
What are you talking about? I never said anything bad about the 335. Anytime I have spoke of it on the forum, I have always given it its respect. Follow the thread cool guy...

And just to correct you, there is actually a thread on the G37 forum where a 335 owner does try to start some stuff talking about how he raced a G37. There also were some on G35driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #135
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveryday View Post
What are you talking about? I never said anything bad about the 335. Anytime I have spoke of it on the forum, I have always given it its respect. Follow the thread cool guy...

And just to correct you, there is actually a thread on the G37 forum where a 335 owner does try to start some stuff talking about how he raced a G37. There also were some on G35driver.
Either way , a troll is a troll regardless
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #136
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Ummm....the 3-series is an entry level luxury sedan/coupe as well, so I don't understand your argument. AND back when the G20 was in production, there were comparos that did include the 3-series at that time. That was my point! I wasn't comparing the G20 to the current 3-coupe/sedan. Cost is irrelevant in this discussion. People compare cars with vast price differences all the time (...335 vs G37.....M3 vs C63 anyone????).

And sorry, the Skyline isn't necessarily an "///M Class" vehicle.

Lastly, why do you continue to claim a lackadaisical attitude on BMW's part when concerning an aging platform???? The G35 came into the mix at the near end of the E46 model run; the ZHP package and facelift for the 3-series was enough to counter the Infiniti effort (...not that the standard version wasn't enough). Speaking of hype, there is always hype on the BMW forums. The introduction of the 335 isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time, that enthusiasts get hyped about a BMW product. Have you never spent time on a BMW forum prior to the 335????? Obviously not!

P.S. The EVO and STI are not direct competition to the 3-series. The demographic that generally purchases BMW's, Merc's, Audi's, etc. do not cross shop w/ the EVO or STI.
Its all good man. No sense in going back and forth with you on this... You have your opinion and I have mine. No beef.

Quote:
And sorry, the Skyline isn't necessarily an "///M Class" vehicle..
I PROMISE you next year, magazines WILL compare it to the M class vehicles (M5, M6).

Quote:
Speaking of hype, there is always hype on the BMW forums. The introduction of the 335 isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time, that enthusiasts get hyped about a BMW product. Have you never spent time on a BMW forum prior to the 335????? Obviously not!
I was talking about the 3 series as a whole in magazines. There will always be hype in BMW forums(thats a give in).

Quote:
P.S. The EVO and STI are not direct competition to the 3-series. The demographic that generally purchases BMW's, Merc's, Audi's, etc. do not cross shop w/ the EVO or STI.
Tell that to one of them when they pull up to you at a light...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 09:35 PM   #137
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
"G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
$35,550*!!!!
-Includes all G37 Coupe Journey standard equipment (delayed availability of auto-on/off headlights)
-6-speed manual transmission with short throw shifter
-19-inch 10-spoke aluminum-allow wheels
-4-piston front brake calipers with 14-inch rotors
-Sport-tuned suspension
-Viscous limited-slip differential"

with all that as standard equipment, the g37 already is much more of a value than the 335i HANDS DOWN.
I test drove both the 335 and G37 on the same day before deciding on the 335... If you're interested solely in value youre right G37 wins...
I hope many other people make their decisions on value like you. Means less 335i coupes and more G37's (aka the new Civic) on the road
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #138
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
ummm actually nooo bmw looks at there own cars and what the public wants...every 3 series since the m3 unveils has taken the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times from the previous m3....look at how the e46 330 stands against the e36 m3 and look at how the e46 m3 has about the same times as the new 335...they could give a shit about what nissan/infiniti does b/c they are the best in the industry with the 3's.....a 328 will cost less to own than a g35 a 335 will cost less to own as well....why? b/c more people want em there value holds up a lot more b/c of quantity/demand/quality....i drove a g35 about a week ago it was a friends....man i don't even know how you can compare the 2 he had about 7700 miles on it and it was a rattle box...my 335 has 7800 and not one squeak rattle nada and i drive her pretty damn hard... the G35 felt all loose and the steering was rank... it wasn't even a consideration when buying my car... bro g35 has some similar numbers but that's it!!!!! the quality is far less the quality of the steering, engine respnse, suspension, were all junk in comparison...it felt just like my buddies 350z...BMW didn't step anything up cause of infiniti...they sell way way way way less cars than bmw world wide for a reason!!!!! BMW's aren't for the name and never have been they have been for the ride and handling and the DRIVE...not some crap sd card slot that no one will use...hell no ipod in the g's wtf are they thinking not even in the new g37....talk about a crap company!!!!!!!! they have to deal with nissan there parent company bmw has to deal with bmw...they don't make some crap nissans and the whale tail on the new g37 looks hideous...looks more like a toyota now..... and whenever i am up against a g35 it isn't even close i blow them away....so what gives are you just protecting your ride? remember the 3 series follows the previous m3 stats not what is going on in the auto world...b/c the m3 sets trends and standards...NOT AUDI OR MERC at least not in this category...they all copy things from the m3...oh and by the way the evo and sti are rally cars the bmw isn't...and i still pull on my buds sti with my 335 over 80-90mph it isn't even close.......the others copy bmw bud and do it poorly esp infiniti...whose cars when they get older rattle like there nissan counterparts with fury
LOL... Its really not that serious man. Settle down big fella.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #139
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Either way , a troll is a troll regardless
Dude, I never even said anything malicious against BMW on here. Just because I say something contrary doesnt mean im a troll. We are just comparing vehicles here. No big deal. Simply opinions here. I wouldnt be on here unless I was considering the a BMW myself. I have no reason nor the time to be a troll, man. For all I care you can close the thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #140
TwiBlueG35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Lexus IS350 Obsidian/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
ummm actually nooo bmw looks at there own cars and what the public wants...every 3 series since the m3 unveils has taken the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times from the previous m3....look at how the e46 330 stands against the e36 m3 and look at how the e46 m3 has about the same times as the new 335...they could give a shit about what nissan/infiniti does b/c they are the best in the industry with the 3's.....a 328 will cost less to own than a g35 a 335 will cost less to own as well....why? b/c more people want em there value holds up a lot more b/c of quantity/demand/quality....i drove a g35 about a week ago it was a friends....man i don't even know how you can compare the 2 he had about 7700 miles on it and it was a rattle box...my 335 has 7800 and not one squeak rattle nada and i drive her pretty damn hard... the G35 felt all loose and the steering was rank... it wasn't even a consideration when buying my car... bro g35 has some similar numbers but that's it!!!!! the quality is far less the quality of the steering, engine respnse, suspension, were all junk in comparison...it felt just like my buddies 350z...BMW didn't step anything up cause of infiniti...they sell way way way way less cars than bmw world wide for a reason!!!!! BMW's aren't for the name and never have been they have been for the ride and handling and the DRIVE...not some crap sd card slot that no one will use...hell no ipod in the g's wtf are they thinking not even in the new g37....talk about a crap company!!!!!!!! they have to deal with nissan there parent company bmw has to deal with bmw...they don't make some crap nissans and the whale tail on the new g37 looks hideous...looks more like a toyota now..... and whenever i am up against a g35 it isn't even close i blow them away....so what gives are you just protecting your ride? remember the 3 series follows the previous m3 stats not what is going on in the auto world...b/c the m3 sets trends and standards...NOT AUDI OR MERC at least not in this category...they all copy things from the m3...oh and by the way the evo and sti are rally cars the bmw isn't...and i still pull on my buds sti with my 335 over 80-90mph it isn't even close.......the others copy bmw bud and do it poorly esp infiniti...whose cars when they get older rattle like there nissan counterparts with fury

I really really don't like your opinions here. Just because 3-series performs a little better doesn't mean other cars are crap. You are the typical "BMW is the King" kind of person. Sure BMW is a very successful auto company, but so is Nissan. True Nissan struggled a litte a few years back but you can't deny they have made several outstanding vehicles lately, G35 is one of them. People are arguing that the gap between 3-series and the other sports sedans are getting closer, unlike the E36 and early E46 eras. Back in the 90s nothing come even close to what a E36 and E46 were and how they performed, people even bought Accord because it "felt" like 3-series. But Lexus made IS, Infiniti came up with a G35 in the 2001 and 2002, respectively. And these two cars performed a lot better than any four door sedans other companies had made besides BMW. Therefore people actually considered them the true sports sedans. Someone even thought G35 was slightly better than E46(although E46 had been in the market for four or five years back then when the first gen G came out). BMW came out with a 330i in 2006, why did they upgrade their cars to 335i in 2007? Because the other sports sedans had stepped up with much stronger engines along with excellent chassis and supension, the whole packages, for cheaper prices. 3-series is still number one, but the number two and three are biting on its tail. Remember, competition is good for us consumers, and we wouldn't get such excellent cars if there is only BMW in the world.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #141
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
+1

If you don't like to drive, don't buy BMW...
completely agree with the above quote...if your a driving enthusiast...get a BMW!
motor.....tranny.....suspension....BMW!
if your into frilly crap and lots of buttons n switches....go Infiniti!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #142
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35 View Post
I really really don't like your opinions here. Just because 3-series performs a little better doesn't mean other cars are crap. You are the typical "BMW is the King" kind of person. Sure BMW is a very successful auto company, but so is Nissan. True Nissan struggled a litte a few years back but you can't deny they have made several outstanding vehicles lately, G35 is one of them. People are arguing that the gap between 3-series and the other sports sedans are getting closer, unlike the E36 and early E46 eras. Back in the 90s nothing come even close to what a E36 and E46 were and how they performed, people even bought Accord because it "felt" like 3-series. But Lexus made IS, Infiniti came up with a G35 in the 2001 and 2002, respectively. And these two cars performed a lot better than any four door sedans other companies had made besides BMW. Therefore people actually considered them the true sports sedans. Someone even thought G35 was slightly better than E46(although E46 had been in the market for four or five years back then when the first gen G came out). BMW came out with a 330i in 2006, why did they upgrade their cars to 335i in 2007? Because the other sports sedans had stepped up with much stronger engines along with excellent chassis and supension, the whole packages, for cheaper prices. 3-series is still number one, but the number two and three are biting on its tail. Remember, competition is good for us consumers, and we wouldn't get such excellent cars if there is only BMW in the world.
....."3-series is still number one".....nuff said.....
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #143
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
+1

If you don't like to drive, don't buy BMW...
That's really true...most of my friends (both guys and girls) who don't like to drive have complained that my car is too rough and that it doesn't absorb bumps well enough. Feels fine to me. And I only have an xi so no sports suspension and 16" wheels. Can't wait till I get the 19's w/ H&R Sports!

But those friends also have bnezes, lexus, or toyotas. Their cars ride A LOT softer.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #144
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Its all good man. No sense in going back and forth with you on this... You have your opinion and I have mine. No beef.
Agreed that we both have our opinions, but I'm not speaking from the stance of opinion. I have Motor Trend magazines from as far back as 1993, and my reference to comparos was a matter of fact, not opinion. No beef here man.

Quote:
I PROMISE you next year, magazines WILL compare it to the M class vehicles (M5, M6).
That's highly likely, but that doesn't mean that it's an ///M class car. They'd be comparing it based on performance numbers, not because it's in the same class of car.

Quote:
I was talking about the 3 series as a whole in magazines. There will always be hype in BMW forums(thats a give in).
This is another issue of fact. Shall I did out all of the hype in magazine literature about the E46 prior to its debut????

Quote:
Tell that to one of them when they pull up to you at a light...

I could care less. I rarely bat an eye at an STI or EVO.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #145
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35 View Post
BMW came out with a 330i in 2006, why did they upgrade their cars to 335i in 2007? Because the other sports sedans had stepped up with much stronger engines along with excellent chassis and supension, the whole packages, for cheaper prices. 3-series is still number one, but the number two and three are biting on its tail. Remember, competition is good for us consumers, and we wouldn't get such excellent cars if there is only BMW in the world.
Correction, the 330i already existed prior to 2006 (..in E46 form). And the 335 was introduced as an E92 because the E46 coupe was at the end of its run, and was being phased out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #146
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Deep View Post
That's really true...most of my friends (both guys and girls) who don't like to drive have complained that my car is too rough and that it doesn't absorb bumps well enough. Feels fine to me. And I only have an xi so no sports suspension and 16" wheels. Can't wait till I get the 19's w/ H&R Sports!

But those friends also have bnezes, lexus, or toyotas. Their cars ride A LOT softer.
This is what is boils down too. For the vast majority of people who drive their cars at 5/10's, the Infiniti is better bang for the $.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #147
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed that we both have our opinions, but I'm not speaking from the stance of opinion. I have Motor Trend magazines from as far back as 1993, and my reference to comparos was a matter of fact, not opinion. No beef here man. .
Sure, but then you also have to bring out the one that states "The King Is Dead! How the G37 beat BMW's 335i". I do agree with Motor Trend but, your the one who brought up Motor Trend.

Quote:
That's highly likely, but that doesn't mean that it's an ///M class car. They'd be comparing it based on performance numbers, not because it's in the same class of car..
What is this class stuff you keep speaking of? When your comparing autos like Porsche, BMW M class, AMG Benz vehicles and now the Skyline, THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS PERFORMANCE. I have never heard anyone look at a M class, or a Porsche and base their opinion on the interior, etc. Its abt the perfomance.

Quote:
This is another issue of fact. Shall I did out all of the hype in magazine literature about the E46 prior to its debut????.
Sure... You will not find a 3 series on the cover. As a matter of fact, I look at Motor Trend since that is what YOU referenced before, last 42 issues to be exact. No one 3 series on the cover.

Just admit the 335 brought the 3 series back to the limelight. Thats all im trying to say.

Quote:
I could care less. I rarely bat an eye at an STI or EVO.
Whatever man...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #148
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but then you also have to bring out the one that states "The King Is Dead! How the G37 beat BMW's 335i". I do agree with Motor Trend but, your the one who brought up Motor Trend.
I have that issue as well. Did you happen to read it? The G37 didn't outperform the 335, and it was the fact that the 335 was running hot (..a'la oil cooler issues) that raised the question.

Quote:
What is this class stuff you keep speaking of? When your comparing autos like Porsche, BMW M class, AMG Benz vehicles and now the Skyline, THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS PERFORMANCE. I have never heard anyone look at a M class, or a Porsche and base their opinion on the interior, etc. Its abt the perfomance.
When did I ever mention interior? When I speak of class, I'm not referring to luxury appointments. I said class of car. Understand the reference?

Quote:
Sure... You will not find a 3 series on the cover. As a matter of fact, I look at Motor Trend since that is what YOU referenced before, last 42 issues to be exact. No one 3 series on the cover.

Just admit the 335 brought the 3 series back to the limelight. Thats all im trying to say.
Please tell me you are kidding! You span 3 1/2 years worth of magazine covers, and you can't find a single one w/ a 3-series on the cover?? That's laughable. Furthermore, try finding all of the 1999/2000 magazine covers, and tell me that there isn't one E46 on the cover. If I weren't at work, I'd dig through my stash. I know off the top of my head that the 3-series sedan appeared sometime in 2005.......on the cover.......with the title "America's Most Wanted". 42 issues my ass!

Quote:
Whatever man...
Is it so hard to believe? I look at other cars in the same class as mine. There goes that class reference again.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 10-15-2007 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #149
Turbomatic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 335xic, Rav4

You know this class thing is exactly why G37 and 335i are compared so much. There just isn't much out there in the relative price range, performance, etc other than those two and a few others. If you choose coupe styling then you are really out of choices.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #150
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:

Like bmdblu said, troll.

Whether you like it or not, a 335 is an upgrade over a G3x. There are many G35 owners who stepped-up to a 335, that's their decision. Hopefully there aren't many 335 owners who step down into a G35. Financial problems, tired of BMW dealerships, who knows what could cause it, but there's no question such a situation would be a downgrade.

Common sense says many G3x owners are interested in BMWs. There's not much interest the other way around. And where are we? On a BMW forum. So in case you haven't noticed, we like BMWs. It doesn't make a G3x a bad car, but it's certainly no 3 Series.

Cool is a term used in HS. Was that a cool thread where the 335 owner raced a G37? Start some stuff? Gotta go, I think the 7th period bell just rang.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #151
COUPE-DADDY
Rep
Drives: 2004 Audi A4

You know whats really funny to me?

"If you like to drive buy a BMW"

The G37 is 1/2 second slower in the quarter mile and everyone hear acts like its a Caravan. Fact is that its faster than any non M 3 series sans the 335i in almost every category. Price point being considered the 328 is really a better comparison.
The reason this is even a discussion is because BMW owns this segment, but someone has finally stepped up to the plate with something to keep BMW honest.
Now before all you fanboys go crying troll I don't own either car, and both are far superior to my Audi A4. I am currently trying to decide which car suits me better. Heck I may even wait and check out the 135i Cabrio, now that should be a drivers car!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #152
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE-DADDY View Post
You know whats really funny to me?

"If you like to drive buy a BMW"

The G37 is 1/2 second slower in the quarter mile and everyone hear acts like its a Caravan. Fact is that its faster than any non M 3 series sans the 335i in almost every category. Price point being considered the 328 is really a better comparison.
The reason this is even a discussion is because BMW owns this segment, but someone has finally stepped up to the plate with something to keep BMW honest.
Now before all you fanboys go crying troll I don't own either car, and both are far superior to my Audi A4. I am currently trying to decide which car suits me better. Heck I may even wait and check out the 135i Cabrio, now that should be a drivers car!
But straight line performance is only one piece of the puzzle. When we speak of driving, we are referring to more than acceleration numbers. It's also factual to state that BMW was producing automobiles with the driver in mind long before Infiniti came to the table with the G35/G37.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #153
Stinger44
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post

not true, when i got my G35 over a 330 i was damn sure it's the one. i wouldnt even have looked at bmw at that point. when bmw came up with the 335 im like okay, only now bmw is the better one
I have to agree with you. The ONLY reason I even considered a 3 series this time around is because they finally put some balls in their 3 series, i.e., the 335i. I can't afford the M3 so that was never an option. The G35 is a great car despite some on this forum bashing it and saying there's no comparison. They obviously haven't owned a G35 coupe.

I'm very excited about receiving my 335i coupe, it's on order and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.
      10-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #154
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger44 View Post
I have to agree with you. The ONLY reason I even considered a 3 series this time around is because they finally put some balls in their 3 series, i.e., the 335i. I can't afford the M3 so that was never an option. The G35 is a great car despite some on this forum bashing it and saying there's no comparison. They obviously haven't owned a G35 coupe.

I'm very excited about receiving my 335i coupe, it's on order and I'm sure I'll be very happy with it.
Yep me too. I was seriously considering swapping my e46 330i sedan for the new G35 sedan until I heard about the 335i sedan. Then I started reading reviews of 0-60 in 4.9s for the stock 335i, with a lot more potential, and that was it. SOLD!