M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) find L.Hamilton critical of despots

06-04-2020, 04:22 AM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

find L.Hamilton critical of despots

With all the countries with human right violations Lewis Hamilton has stood on the podium of, I wanted some video or quotes of Hamilton calling out dictators and despots of these countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...wolff-mercedes
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
With all the countries with human right violations Lewis Hamilton has stood on the podium of, I wanted some video or quotes of Hamilton calling out dictators and despots of these countries.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...wolff-mercedes
As a black person you aren't happy that he is against racism speaking out against it and want him to focus on what you think are more important problems?

He can protest whatever he wants.
      06-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
As a black person you aren't happy that he is against racism speaking out against it and want him to focus on what you think are more important problems?

He can protest whatever he wants.
he's calling out other drivers and I don't know of that is proper...I'm curious if he called out any Azerbaijan, Chinese, Russian among others on human rights when he was standing on a podium.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
he's calling out other drivers and I don't know of that is proper...I'm curious if he called out any Azerbaijan, Chinese, Russian among others on human rights when he was standing on a podium.
like all other athletes, they have to tread very carefully when it comes to calling out countries vs. individuals within the sport.

The respective organizations keep a tight leash on what can be said in order to ensure a smooth "business" abroad. Point in case, Lebron James had to back peddle on his comments about Hong Kong because China is a big NBA market and the NBA doesn't want to ruffle any feathers and potentially get banned from their networks.

Shitting on other players is part of any sport and generally doesn't have any financial impact to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

If I was black and the only black person in my whole company I might also ask the other employees to say something about it.

Agree with the above, I'm sure F1 isn't interested in him calling different world leaders for their abuses.

Don't agree that what he said is upsetting or out of line and of course many would like him to be silent and go with the flow. If the system works for you it is unlikely you want it to change. As he says, 11 years in and nothing has changed and as expected at least one person here would like him to talk about something else.

Quote:
“I see those of you who are staying silent, some of you the biggest of stars yet you stay silent in the midst of injustice,” he wrote on Instagram. “Not a sign from anybody in my industry which of course is a white-dominated sport.

“I’m one of the only people of colour there yet I stand alone. I would have thought by now you would see why this happens and say something about it but you can’t stand alongside us. Just know I know who you are, and I see you.”

Hamilton is the only black driver in Formula One and has been outspoken on the sport’s need for greater diversity in the past. “There’s barely any diversity in F1,” Hamilton said in 2018. “Still nothing’s changed in 11 years I’ve been here.”
      06-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Ahh, the hypocrisy of wokeness and purity tests.
Appreciate 0