M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What should I replace my C7 with?

05-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

What should I replace my C7 with?

The vehicles I have are:
  1. C7 I rarely drive, especially now
  2. F350 which is mostly just for towing our RV
  3. Corolla for girlfriend and everything else
We both work from home so virus or not, we just don't drive much.

I’m thinking either sell the Vette, or maybe trade for a lease on something. Issue is, I can't think of anything I like all that much. So what would you lease for no money down under $700? I'm open to anything interesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Maybe just sell the Vette and use the truck as needed.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      05-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Maybe just sell the Vette and use the truck as needed.
That's probably what will happen, but curious if there's som deal out there on something I haven't thought of.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:19 AM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I'll offer $16000 for the c7.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche or Maclaren. Anything else will feel too slow.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/gi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
      05-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I'll offer $16000 for the c7.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #8
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The vehicles I have are:
  1. C7 I rarely drive, especially now
  2. F350 which is mostly just for towing our RV
  3. Corolla for girlfriend and everything else
We both work from home so virus or not, we just don't drive much.

I’m thinking either sell the Vette, or maybe trade for a lease on something. Issue is, I can't think of anything I like all that much. So what would you lease for no money down under $700? I'm open to anything interesting.
Keep the Corvette, if it's paid for and there's nothing wrong with it. I miss mine a lot. Personally I think it looks much better and tidier than the C8. Once depreciation settles, it will continue to be more valuable. If you have the Z51 option and magnetic ride, there is nothing that sounds like it or rides like it.

Sure it's not as flashy out in California or Florida, but here in the midwest it's an icon.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche or Maclaren. Anything else will feel too slow.
Too rich for me unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
For some reason alfas don't do anything for me. The quadrifoglio is too pricey for me and the rest just seem like the same old same old you see in BMWs and everything else. Maybe they are amazing to drive, never driven one, but the design and specs just don't do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Keep the Corvette, if it's paid for and there's nothing wrong with it. I miss mine a lot. Personally I think it looks much better and tidier than the C8. Once depreciation settles, it will continue to be more valuable. If you have the Z51 option and magnetic ride, there is nothing that sounds like it or rides like it.

Sure it's not as flashy out in California or Florida, but here in the midwest it's an icon.
It's a Z51, but unfortunately no mag ride. So far it has been pretty reliable. Had some issues with the fan, but fixed it myself and so far no issues. Last time I took it out got all kinds of lights for a sec there then found a misfire code, however I have a feeling the battery may have been kind of low from sitting in the garage for so long. I put it on charger and drove it around town a bit today and it did not come back, so hopefully that solves that, but who knows.

You are right though there's just nothing I like better. If they had a C8 manual.... maybe... but you can't even get a C8 right now so. Honestly if I did get something else I would probably just have to go to a whole new category like go luxury with a big boat a 7 or 5 series or S class. Maybe go with like a model 3, not a huge fan of their interiors, pretty cheap feeling, but I dunno would be a totally different experience.

Probably end up keeping it or selling and just saving the $$
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
GenXer1351.00
      05-31-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too rich for me unfortunately
I hear you. When I look at what Porsche I could afford for C7 money, I immediately come back to the C7.

Do you have to get rid of the C7? Sounds like you have a few other cars which could potentially go in it's stead.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:06 PM   #11
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I hear you. When I look at what Porsche I could afford for C7 money, I immediately come back to the C7.

Do you have to get rid of the C7? Sounds like you have a few other cars which could potentially go in it's stead.
I don't HAVE to get rid of any of them really. Just seems a shame as I barely drive it. Plus it's the only one that is financed. Payments are made by my business so that's not so bad, but it's still a payment.

I need the truck to tow the RV. Not sure when we will be able to get back to traveling, but I'm sure we will eventually. Not a fun vehicle for driving around town, plus it's a long bed so parking is also a pita around town.

Got the corolla mainly for local stuff, groceries etc. Also our families live about an hour away so the corolla is just better overall for longer trips, more comfortable, better mpg and I have it hooked up so it basically drives itself on the highway like a Tesla or what not, so it's pretty chill for longer drives. Also my gf hates driving the truck or the vette. So really the only reason for me to drive the vette or the truck is if we need to go to different places at the same time, which rarely happens. Or when I just take it out for fun.

So I guess really my only options should be sell it outright save the $$. Trade for something cheaper and save some $$. Or keep it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Sounds like your GF doesnt want you to have the vette anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:21 PM   #13
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Sounds like your GF doesnt want you to have the vette anymore.
She doesn't give a fuck what cars I have as long as she doesn't have to drive it
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I guess you could hold on to it a bit longer and wait for the Blackwing CT5.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #15
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Get rid of the Vette and Pos Corolla - replace them with new 330i or M340i. Enjoy life!

The lease on 3series are amazing for how much car you get.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Hellcat? I know there aren't many FCA fans here, but I feel it could be a good replacement.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #17
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Hellcat? I know there aren't many FCA fans here, but I feel it could be a good replacement.
Jeezus I wouldn't wish a FCA product on my worst enemy. No matter how compelling.

Of course, I wouldn't wish a Corvette on my worst enemy either now.

For the OP's described usage case? Not a lot of driving because work from home? Tesla Model 3 Performance. Enough straight-line speed to blow the doors off of 99% of cars on the street today, and even hang the new C8 mid-engine Corvette. Due to low center of gravity, will likely handle nearly as well too, with backseats to boot. No long daily commute means charge it once and drive it for a month.

Plus the electric motor won't blow up, seize up, leaving you without a car at the dealership for 3-4 months at a time.

Unfortunately, for me, my rule is there must ALWAYS be a car with 3 pedals in the garage. ALWAYS. Otherwise the world ends and we all die. So if I was in the OP's shoes, I can't do the Model 3 Performance (although, *I* still can because the MZ4 Coupe is a 6 speed manual).

The only right answer, though, is always the only right answer to all car related questions.

Mazda Miata.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #18
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The only right answer, though, is always the only right answer to all car related questions.

Mazda Miata.
12/10 recommend Miata. I own an NA and it's an absolute blast. You can be pedal to the floor, rowing gears, and not break the speed limit. It's a riot, I love mine.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2020, 01:46 AM   #19
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jeezus I wouldn't wish a FCA product on my worst enemy. No matter how compelling.

Of course, I wouldn't wish a Corvette on my worst enemy either now.

For the OP's described usage case? Not a lot of driving because work from home? Tesla Model 3 Performance. Enough straight-line speed to blow the doors off of 99% of cars on the street today, and even hang the new C8 mid-engine Corvette. Due to low center of gravity, will likely handle nearly as well too, with backseats to boot. No long daily commute means charge it once and drive it for a month.

Plus the electric motor won't blow up, seize up, leaving you without a car at the dealership for 3-4 months at a time.

Unfortunately, for me, my rule is there must ALWAYS be a car with 3 pedals in the garage. ALWAYS. Otherwise the world ends and we all die. So if I was in the OP's shoes, I can't do the Model 3 Performance (although, *I* still can because the MZ4 Coupe is a 6 speed manual).

Mazda Miata.
I have not had any real issues with the vette, but it makes me uneasy. Like I keep having minor stuff popup that seems to end up being nothing, but still they stay in the back of my mind. Plus ruins my drive that day and given the fact I don't get to drive it much sucks more.

The only reason I bring up Tesla is because I could get a model 3 for similar price as the vette and it would be a totally different thing for me. I have owned a lot of different cars, but never had an electric one.

We actually have a race shop with a couple race miatas if I ever needed to get some miata out of my system.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hmmmmm... what do you all think about something like a Porsche Boxster 718? I've never owned a Porsche so that makes it a bit interesting. Also could get it in a manual, don't like soft top, but do like convertible. Reminds me of my Z4M which was my favorite car I ever owned. Reliability and repair costs though?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #21
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I have not had any real issues with the vette, but it makes me uneasy. Like I keep having minor stuff popup that seems to end up being nothing, but still they stay in the back of my mind. Plus ruins my drive that day and given the fact I don't get to drive it much sucks more.

The only reason I bring up Tesla is because I could get a model 3 for similar price as the vette and it would be a totally different thing for me. I have owned a lot of different cars, but never had an electric one.

We actually have a race shop with a couple race miatas if I ever needed to get some miata out of my system.
LOL. I laugh now only because expressing my frustration won't help. But that's exactly my thought before the whole engine blew up.

My C7 had a slew of little problems. Stuff that nag at me at the back of my mind, but I've always sort of put it aside because A) the car IS fun to drive and B) My BMW experience tell me anything, is that the internet blows sh*t way out of proportion. Like the bearing on the S54. Or VANOS problems. Or whatever else that should ail my BMWs.

To be honest, I got spoiled. I did. All of my BMWs except one and a half was pretty much trouble free. And the half that had a ton of issues, they were all emission related and covered under a much longer extended warranty (10yr/120,000 miles). So besides the 545i, which was a nightmare to own, all my BMWs all had nagging little problems that were addressed quickly and fixed correctly by the dealership in a few days. The LONGEST any of my BMWs spent at a dealership was 3 days, the 335D needing a new urea tank and that had to be ordered. And paid for by BMW.

Sure. The C7's entertainment and dash would randomly blink out and turn off completely. Happened 3-4 times. The heated seat stopped working. The leather on the dash delaminated. The roof liner fell off. Half the time the memory seat will only move it half of the way to the designated spot on egress and ingress, which is kinda embarrassing. The whole time I was like, "if something more drastic happens I'll bring it in and warranty will take care of it, I'd be out the car for a few days which isn't a big deal."

And they DID fix the dash and roof liner under warranty. No issues. So again, FALSE sense of security.

Then the engine blew up. You know the rest and the struggles I am facing now trying to get GM to do the right thing.

So yeah. No warm and fuzzies for me with GM and the Corvette. Although, when I passed the story to my buddy who owns a McLaren, his response was "b*tch hold my beer." His laundry list of issues with the McLaren was much, much longer than mine, and cost much, MUCH more, sort of the blowed up engine. So really, I shouldn't complain. At least I don't have a McLaren.

Yes he still owns it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      06-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #22
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL. I laugh now only because expressing my frustration won't help. But that's exactly my thought before the whole engine blew up.

My C7 had a slew of little problems. Stuff that nag at me at the back of my mind, but I've always sort of put it aside because A) the car IS fun to drive and B) My BMW experience tell me anything, is that the internet blows sh*t way out of proportion. Like the bearing on the S54. Or VANOS problems. Or whatever else that should ail my BMWs.

To be honest, I got spoiled. I did. All of my BMWs except one and a half was pretty much trouble free. And the half that had a ton of issues, they were all emission related and covered under a much longer extended warranty (10yr/120,000 miles). So besides the 545i, which was a nightmare to own, all my BMWs all had nagging little problems that were addressed quickly and fixed correctly by the dealership in a few days. The LONGEST any of my BMWs spent at a dealership was 3 days, the 335D needing a new urea tank and that had to be ordered. And paid for by BMW.

Sure. The C7's entertainment and dash would randomly blink out and turn off completely. Happened 3-4 times. The heated seat stopped working. The leather on the dash delaminated. The roof liner fell off. Half the time the memory seat will only move it half of the way to the designated spot on egress and ingress, which is kinda embarrassing. The whole time I was like, "if something more drastic happens I'll bring it in and warranty will take care of it, I'd be out the car for a few days which isn't a big deal."

And they DID fix the dash and roof liner under warranty. No issues. So again, FALSE sense of security.

Then the engine blew up. You know the rest and the struggles I am facing now trying to get GM to do the right thing.

So yeah. No warm and fuzzies for me with GM and the Corvette. Although, when I passed the story to my buddy who owns a McLaren, his response was "b*tch hold my beer." His laundry list of issues with the McLaren was much, much longer than mine, and cost much, MUCH more, sort of the blowed up engine. So really, I shouldn't complain. At least I don't have a McLaren.

Yes he still owns it.
Pfffffft! At least you have a warranty. I'm freeballing!

Mine had the leather dash peeling issue, luckily I spotted that before I purchased it and dealer agreed to fix. That shit's also in the back of my mind!
Appreciate 0