M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Does the M8 Comp need protective plastic strips on the sides?

05-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
markus2310
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 CP Convertible

Does the M8 Comp need protective plastic strips on the sides?

I took my M8 CP Coupe for it's first wash, and the person at the car wash said that I should install protective plastic strips (behind the front tires and along the sides). He claimed that the front tires stick out too much and would keep hurling stones etc. against the paint, damaging it over time.

I frankly would not want to install these plastic strips, my previous M4 Comp had this area behind the door covered by a factory installed protective plastic, so I'm hoping BMW knew what they were doing with not putting anything like that on the M8?

I just got the car last week, not planning on tracking it (although there will be spirited drives through canyons) and I will bedoing about 5,000 miles a year.

Any input would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I wrapped the entire front end including the space behind the front wheel, rocker panels and the area behind the rear wheels. You can't see film unless you know where to look and it gives me peace of mind about spray. When I had my X5M, this was a big topic on that forum - look up sandblasting.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
markus2310
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I wrapped the entire front end including the space behind the front wheel, rocker panels and the area behind the rear wheels. You can't see film unless you know where to look and it gives me peace of mind about spray. When I had my X5M, this was a big topic on that forum - look up sandblasting.
Thanks, can you please let me know what you had it wrapped with? EDIT: I meant the specific kind of film, just so I know what to look for, in case I want to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I went with Xpel. Here's the link to Unique Car Care - they are first rate.

https://uccboston.com

If you are in LA, you'll have a lot more options than we do in Boston.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I don’t have this done and have spacers front and rear and I have noticed a decent amount of chips. Almost no point for me now. My car is leased and wonder if they could charge me on the lease return for the damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus2310 View Post
I took my M8 CP Coupe for it's first wash, and the person at the car wash said that I should install protective plastic strips (behind the front tires and along the sides). He claimed that the front tires stick out too much and would keep hurling stones etc. against the paint, damaging it over time.

I frankly would not want to install these plastic strips, my previous M4 Comp had this area behind the door covered by a factory installed protective plastic, so I'm hoping BMW knew what they were doing with not putting anything like that on the M8?

I just got the car last week, not planning on tracking it (although there will be spirited drives through canyons) and I will bedoing about 5,000 miles a year.

Any input would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
markus2310
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I don’t have this done and have spacers front and rear and I have noticed a decent amount of chips. Almost no point for me now. My car is leased and wonder if they could charge me on the lease return for the damage
By spacers do you mean that your M8's front wheels stick out even more than stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
markus2310
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I went with Xpel. Here's the link to Unique Car Care - they are first rate.

https://uccboston.com

If you are in LA, you'll have a lot more options than we do in Boston.
Thank you, I will look into what I can get here. I was kinda hoping to get away with not doing anything like that, since I'm leasing and only drive around 5-6k a year.

What I don't understand is, why the M8 should be more prone to contracting those chips behind the front wheels, my previous M4 didn't seem to have that issue and had 20 inch rims as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
c^2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp Coupe

I would 3M film wrap the whole car - what's a few more grand?
Appreciate 0