M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 17 cars illegally seized in Orange County, California

06-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This all sounded weird to me until I read that they confiscated their GoPro cameras. I'm only guessing here but I'm willing to bet that the cops, on a hunch, confiscated the GoPro under the guise of wanting to see the accident. They then watched ALL of the footage from that day, which likely included some less-than-lawful driving, and realized they had a juicy steak of a case against many of the drivers. Just a hunch.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This all sounded weird to me until I read that they confiscated their GoPro cameras. I'm only guessing here but I'm willing to bet that the cops, on a hunch, confiscated the GoPro under the guise of wanting to see the accident. They then watched ALL of the footage from that day, which likely included some less-than-lawful driving, and realized they had a juicy steak of a case against many of the drivers. Just a hunch.
That would make more sense, however, except in very limited cases, a warrant is usually required to search through evidence on something like a GoPro, so there could still be some significant legal issues involved, but if you just recorded yourself breaking the law you are kind of retarded anyway.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
While true, they were probably able to retain a warrant after the recording officer "developed amnesia" in the cycling case. One of the guys could also have willingly handed over the footage thinking they were helping, not realizing they were also handing over incriminating footage.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #26
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
While true, they were probably able to retain a warrant after the recording officer "developed amnesia" in the cycling case. One of the guys could also have willingly handed over the footage thinking they were helping, not realizing they were also handing over incriminating footage.
There are several plausible explanations, for sure. A warrant can be obtained in short notice as well, over the phone, if there is sufficient cause and a Judge available.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #27
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:
the warrant has to be specific, you don't just get a warrant to look in video footage, you need to sight details on what you are looking for.

As penalties become increasingly elaborate and extensive its almost better to keep it moving then face the music. Im not talking about going north bound on the south bound side but if the opportunity presents itself and you have weighed the risk v reward......nothing but taillights
      06-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #28
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
the warrant has to be specific, you don't just get a warrant to look in video footage, you need to sight details on what you are looking for.
Exactly. They obtained the warrant to view footage of the accident but the same recording also likely contained illegal driving maneuvers. If I was a betting man...

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #29
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Their judgment cometh and that right soon.
Shawshamk Redemption
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #30
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

So what happened? Cops get in trouble for what they did yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #31
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
BINGO.

What we're all hearing right now is ONE SIDE OF THE STORY. Cops aren't stupid. Nor are they all corrupt. What's posited here is the most likely scenario, otherwise we'd be hearing a massive lawsuit filed by the parties whose cars are confiscated, rather than someone's rant on Jalopnik.

I mean, think about it. How often did you ever go on a "cruise" with a dozen semi-exotic/exotics with the entire group behaving like Sunday church ladies? How often do you see on YouTube of the asshatery that goes one on these cruises?

No way the "group" of 17 was without blame here. Abiding law and driving below speed limit my @ss.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #32
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

No way the "group" of 17 was without blame here. Abiding law and driving below speed limit my @ss.
Why not?

Somebody crashes their bike into a car and suddenly its ok for popo to go on a witch hunt

Seems to me that if a crime had actually been committed and harm had been done then the opportunity to pursue that was at the time the popo responded to the incident and <failed> to charge the drivers with anything

The rest seems like a witch hunt by a couple of butt hurt officers

Seems to me that the AG/Officers probably have better things to do with their taxpayer funded salary like pursueing crime where there's an actual victim
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #33
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Also, even if there were asshattery, and they got a warrant to confiscate the GoPros for the purpose of viewing the accident, I believe that's all they can use that evidence for. Right?

Edit: All cars were returned shortly after this thread died: http://jalopnik.com/all-17-impounded...ase-1782682015
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #34
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
Also, even if there were asshattery, and they got a warrant to confiscate the GoPros for the purpose of viewing the accident, I believe that's all they can use that evidence for. Right?

Edit: All cars were returned shortly after this thread died: http://jalopnik.com/all-17-impounded...ase-1782682015
Yes, you can't stumble upon evidence you can only view what you are looking for
      10-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #35
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Yes, you can't stumble upon evidence you can only view what you are looking for
Please re-read what you just wrote. lol

If you have a warrant to search an apartment for drugs and you find dead bodies, you're telling me they can't act on that? Give me a break.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #36
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

If you have a warrant to search an apartment for drugs and you find dead bodies, you're telling me they can't act on that? Give me a break.
We're not talking about a capitol offense

We're talking about at best a misdemeanor and the warrant is specific to certain content
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #37
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There are many rules to search and seizure, some more complicated then others. you are talking about capital crime which will be in plain view of obtaining said drugs. How about they are looking for a long gun but discover a lot of cocaine in a lunch box, the cocaine can not be used to charge you. read what needs to be required on a search warrant. familiarize your self it may help you one day. your next statement may be i will never have an issue like that and my answer will be do you think innocent people don't go to jail too?
      10-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #38
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Can the guys band together on a lawsuit and sue the crap out of the city?
Its the only thing they understand..
..and then threaten to mobilize a voting bloc and tell the mayor his job is on the line next election if he doesn't fire the police chief
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #39
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
There are many rules to search and seizure, some more complicated then others. you are talking about capital crime which will be in plain view of obtaining said drugs. How about they are looking for a long gun but discover a lot of cocaine in a lunch box, the cocaine can not be used to charge you. read what needs to be required on a search warrant. familiarize your self it may help you one day. your next statement may be i will never have an issue like that and my answer will be do you think innocent people don't go to jail too?
I guess I should lol

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #40
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Can the guys band together on a lawsuit and sue the crap out of the city?
Its the only thing they understand..
..and then threaten to mobilize a voting bloc and tell the mayor his job is on the line next election if he doesn't fire the police chief
I suspect its only a matter of time before a lawsuit is filed by most of the injured parties

Ultimately the only ones that will suffer are the taxpayers since the judge that signed off on this BS wont be held accountable nor will the PoPo
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #41
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

there must be a way to hand shit on a platter to that judge.. and make him accountable
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #42
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
there must be a way to hand shit on a platter to that judge.. and make him accountable
Currently there really isnt

There NEEDS to be a means of holding them accountable for signing off on ass hattery
Appreciate 1