ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
NeoGeo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quick question. I have an OEM BMW IPOD adapter that I had intended to install in my 2004 BMW Z4 but never did.

I now have a 2006 M roadster.

I wanted to install the same adapter today. I have the 10 speaker system, no nav, no DSP. My car is basically Fred Flintsones car.

Drove to Toronto BMW today, intending to have this installed. They called me at work, saying that the part is not compaitible with my car. I'll throw pictures of the part up tomorrow if that helps.

My basic question is, can this be possible?

Also if I were to give this a shot myself, do I have to install this directly into the head unit, or can I use the CD changer harness wires that are in the boot? I was thinking of installing the unit like a DICE is supposed to be installed, but I am not sure if that is possible. Also I was planning on just pulling the wire through the center console. Don't know if that works either.

I'd appreciate it if anyone wiht experience could chime in on this.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I found out that the part number I have is: 65110409343, while BAVAUTO shows that the latest version is: 65 11 0 035 961. I can't figure out why the physical harness would be different... like the dealer said.

I believe this is a GEN2 kit. Should the 10 speaker system be compatible with this kit?

Last edited by NeoGeo; 09-29-2011 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: updated with part number
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
NeoGeo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Sorry guys... Has anyone installed a gen 2 adapter in a M or am I sol?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
NeoGeo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Unhappy Other sources of information???

If it's not possible to find the answer to this question on this board, might any of you know where else I could find some help? I about to just throw in the towel and buy an Dension, but maybe I can hold on for just a little longer in case there is an answer somewhere out there...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
dyerkes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i/SMG

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
iPod

I know the wiring changed between the model years. What I would recommend you doing is to list your current ipod kit for sale, and buy either the factory unit designed for your model year, or an aftermarket kit.

David
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
NeoGeo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
I know the wiring changed between the model years. What I would recommend you doing is to list your current ipod kit for sale, and buy either the factory unit designed for your model year, or an aftermarket kit.

David
David,

Thank you. That's a really good suggestion. I know that it fits early model (2005) X5s, Xs3 and Z4s.

At least you've verified what the dealer has told me, which is the main connector did not fit. There's no point in me taking the dash apart to MacGyver it, and then have the software be incompatible as well. I think I'll list it today, and try to pick up a USA-SPEC this week.

There are not that many stores that carry Dension or USA-SPEC in Toronto and those who do, overcharge for it. I think Kromer Roadio is selling it for $300. At that price, I'll just burn some CDs .

Last edited by NeoGeo; 10-01-2011 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0