M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M8 Forum and 8 Series Forum BMW M8 and 8-Series General Discussion Engine Sound

11-06-2023, 01:43 AM   #1
itschuto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Engine Sound

Hey everyone.

I tried finding an answer to this, but couldn't. Does the Engine Sound setting on the M850i iDrive have anything to do with the engine? Or is it purely a speaker-system based setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 05:27 AM   #2
__AD__
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschuto View Post
Hey everyone.

I tried finding an answer to this, but couldn't. Does the Engine Sound setting on the M850i iDrive have anything to do with the engine? Or is it purely a speaker-system based setting.
From my experience, it controls the exhaust valve and/or aligns it with the driving mode. I have mine to sporty and the valve opens 30 seconds after startup regardless of driving mode.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 09:24 AM   #3
VP007
Private
Rep
Drives: 6 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by __AD__ View Post
From my experience, it controls the exhaust valve and/or aligns it with the driving mode. I have mine to sporty and the valve opens 30 seconds after startup regardless of driving mode.
Definitely controls the exhaust flaps.

I coded the Engine Sound option via BimmerCode on my 840i and it opens the exhaust valve constantly when set to the “Sporty” setting.

It is great being able to drive in Comfort with a more sporty exhaust note.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
There's an older thread on this from back in early 2020 in which I thoroughly tested this out and posted the results. If memory serves the default at least on my 2020 M850i delivered in December of 2019 it's set to "based on driving mode" or something along those lines. Given I'm always in Sport Individual that pretty much equates to the Sporty setting.

My test was to see what Reduced mode did. My expectation was to just reduce the fabricated ASD sound in the cabin. Nope it actually impacts the exhaust and closes the valves. WTF? It's a fabricated sound setting so why alter the valves. Even though I was still in Sport Individual with the engine on Sport Plus it also appeared to have made that Comfort but left the Sport transmission in play.

I left it in the "driving mode" setting as that way when I was on road trips with the wife in either ECO Pro or Comfort I didn't have to hear the fabricated BS. Worth noting that ECO Pro eliminated it completely vs Comfort it was just "reduced". Now it's just completely defeated as I pulled the fuse that controls it with a 🖕to BMW.
Appreciate 2
__AD__252.50
      11-10-2023, 03:57 PM   #5
itschuto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
There's an older thread on this from back in early 2020 in which I thoroughly tested this out and posted the results. If memory serves the default at least on my 2020 M850i delivered in December of 2019 it's set to "based on driving mode" or something along those lines. Given I'm always in Sport Individual that pretty much equates to the Sporty setting.

My test was to see what Reduced mode did. My expectation was to just reduce the fabricated ASD sound in the cabin. Nope it actually impacts the exhaust and closes the valves. WTF? It's a fabricated sound setting so why alter the valves. Even though I was still in Sport Individual with the engine on Sport Plus it also appeared to have made that Comfort but left the Sport transmission in play.

I left it in the "driving mode" setting as that way when I was on road trips with the wife in either ECO Pro or Comfort I didn't have to hear the fabricated BS. Worth noting that ECO Pro eliminated it completely vs Comfort it was just "reduced". Now it's just completely defeated as I pulled the fuse that controls it with a 🖕to BMW.
I wonder if it has any affect on MPG
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 07:52 AM   #6
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

I have ASD coded off and exhaust valves were unplugged while open to remain open 100% of the time. My car is defaulted to start in adaptive driving mode. If I change the engine sound setting from "sporty" to "depending on driving mode" or "reduced," there is a definite reduction in cold start loudness/aggressiveness. This setting controls something else besides ASD and or exhaust valve open/closed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 02:16 PM   #7
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
I have ASD coded off and exhaust valves were unplugged while open to remain open 100% of the time. My car is defaulted to start in adaptive driving mode. If I change the engine sound setting from "sporty" to "depending on driving mode" or "reduced," there is a definite reduction in cold start loudness/aggressiveness. This setting controls something else besides ASD and or exhaust valve open/closed.
The engine mode itself aka ECU. As mentioned in my testing although in my Sport Individual with the engine on Sport Plus "reduced" put it in Comfort at best. So for your config with adaptive mode as the default start driving mode switching from "sporty" to the other settings tried modified the ECU for fuel mixture, etc. just like Comfort vs Sport or Sport Plus.

You can't use the "depending on driving mode" setting like I do (I always start in Sport Individual) as Adaptive is a completely different animal. I learned the following from the G05/G06 forum as BMW killed Adaptive completely in the LCI and people were curious as to what they were missing out on aka FOMO. The really knowledgeable guy on the forum explained it from a conversation he had with BMW as even I too thought it just switched between Comfort and Sport.

"Adaptive Driving Mode is a unique driving mode, separate from COMFORT, ECO PRO, and SPORT. While driving in Adaptive Driving Mode, the vehicle does not switch to COMFORT or SPORT mode automatically. However, characters of COMFORT or SPORT will be implemented, depending on the situation."

So for you cold starting in "depends on driving mode" most likely results in the Comfort characteristics being applied to the ECU at that point in time given it's just starting the car. However, in "sporty" that cold start is getting at least Sport for the ECU.

Granted this is just a theory but it's the only answer I can come up with that makes logical sense. So take it all with a grain of salt. 👍
Appreciate 0