M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos If can spend 90k on a car, can't think of why it wouldn't be a Tesla

07-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #45
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335xi View Post
Tesla wont be big for a while. If electric cars were so in demand. I think honda and especialy toyota ( largest car company in the world) would be working on there electric vehicles by now. They dont see the point for now maybe in like 50+ years from now on... electric vehicles would be popular. For now its a waist of money and time... all night for it to charge and you can only drive about 30 miles and you have to pay for the electric bill like crazy . I know a guy who traded his old tesla for p85d. And he told me about the charging .
Really?

Tesla is the number one car sold in Norway. They actually sell more Model S there than all of Ford's sales combined!

But they are a much more socially forward thinking society, even if they can't drive from the north pole to the moon without recharging.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-te...-no-1651261025
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #46
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Really?

Tesla is the number one car sold in Norway.
And do you know why? The model S costs there about as much as a ford mondeo.
Not that the model S is cheap over there, but other cars are taxed so much...

So its a government created demand. Not a market created demand.
It is very strange that 2 tiny countries (norway and the netherlands) are in the top 4 of tesla's selling countries.....
Government control......

Also a high precentage of electric cars like that will (on short notice) create very strange problems, for example electricity shortage.
Norway has an electricity abundance from waterpowered electricity plants. Tesla owners get their electricity for free I think. (more government subsidies)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 07-15-2015 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #47
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
And do you know why?
Because their governments incentives make it cheaper than a Ford Focus.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #48
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

+1 Guidok
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #49
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Because their governments incentives make it cheaper than a Ford Focus.
No, they make the ford focus more expensive.

Is there a difference? There is on the moment you write the check
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #50
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #51
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Exactly.

Here in Ontario, Canada, we get $8000 back from the gov't if we buy an electric car. Not nearly the same subsidies, but makes getting an i3 as a daily driver a much more viable option.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #52
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Electric cars, Tesla, excellent technology, it will get better and better.

However the big one for me, which I have witnessed, is 2 charge points and 4 cars needing a charge.

With a normal car, it's 5 mins tops to fill up and be out of the petrol station.

Yes they will eventually get more charge points, however there will also be more electric cars.

The tempers will fray with people having to wait for cars getting a full 'top up'

I3 - 30 mins and a Tesla 20 mins and I think that's only to 80% for both.

So an I3 gets in ahead of you, connects up, you now know it's minimum 50 minute wait....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #53
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Of course there will be a adoption period for new technologies. Can't expect it to be perfect immediately.

For 95% of the people doing 95% of their driving, they are good enough now. It will only get better.

If I could have a charging station at my condo, I would have an electric as a daily driver already.

Curious why people here say "it can't even do one lap of a track"? Says who? We have several that show up at our local track, enough of them that they have installed a charging station at the track. Lap all morning, charge at lunch, lap all afternoon, quick charge, drive home.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 07-15-2015 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #54
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Of course there will be a adoption period for new technologies. Can't expect it to be perfect immediately.

For 95% of the people doing 95% of their driving, they are good enough now. It will only get better.

If I could have a charging station at my condo, I would have an electric as a daily driver already.

Curious why people here say "it can't even do one lap of a track"? Says who? We have several that show up at our local track, enough of them that they have installed a charging station at the track. Lap all morning, charge at lunch, lap all afternoon, quick charge, drive home.
Did you pull that 95% statistics out of your ass?
How did you come about that conclusion? Is it written somewhere?
Which track is this happening at? Lap all morning ? After lap 2 it goes in limp mode, so you mean limp it around the track at half speed all morning and spend 3 hours to charge it to get 2 more full powered laps , then limp some more, then spend another 3 hours to charge it so you can drive it home
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #55
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
Which track is this happening at? Lap all morning ? After lap 2 it goes in limp mode, so you mean limp it around the track at half speed all morning and spend 3 hours to charge it to get 2 more full powered laps , then limp some more, then spend another 3 hours to charge it so you can drive it home
This is at Calabogie, near Ottawa, Canada. A member on our local car racing forum has two of them, a roadster and a Model S.

Link from Tesla site showing a charging station now installed there:

http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/lo...charger/dc1648
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #56
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thik View Post
The fact you don't have to put gas in it and no moving parts to maintain or break just makes you feel like anything else is just last century.
Really?? The Tesla has no moving parts? How does that electric motor work?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #57
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
- Runs out of range fast when you drive fast
I have a Volt and this is very true. If you're constantly flooring it or you're cruising on the fwy at 70+mph, then you can cut your range in half.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #58
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I have a Volt and this is very true. If you're constantly flooring it or you're cruising on the fwy at 70+mph, then you can cut your range in half.
Yeah, that's why it's not practical. You can say the same about a gas car running of gas faster if you drive fast. But you can pump gas quickly and easily. An electric car will require hours to get a full charge again.

Quote:
+1 Doesn't sound like a fun track day to be overheating and limping around the track while Miatas run circles around your $90k Tesla. At Laguna Seca, the P85+ runs the same lap time as a Miata (when it isn't limping). A modded Miata will eat a Model S for breakfast all day every day.

I do believe electric cars are getting better and maybe one day it'll replace gas cars as the norm - but those days are still far away for the majority of people.
      07-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #59
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
My f80 IS a famly car, its a sedan, carries 5 people, great trunk space, comfortable and faster than any Tesla out there.
If you say Tesla was never intended to be a fast car, why are they advertising it as the fastest production sedan ever? A little pretentious don't you think.???
There are fast cars and there are quick car
A car that gets to 100 mph in 2 seconds but is limited to that speed is quick but not fast
A car that can get to 160mph but takes 2minutes is fast but not quick.
The Tesla is a quick car
The f80 is quick AND fast
Are you sure they're not saying fastest accelerating sedan? Thats way different than fastest production sedan. Honestly I've never seen any advertising saying fastest production sedan.

Hopefully you don't race a Tesla from a red light. But you're car isn't faster than any Tesla. Unless you've put on a tune to run faster than the 12 flat your car can run by a pro driver.

Tesla is doing an awesome job and every takes a jab at them. They might be going overboard with the whole P85d thing but just look at what they are pioneering. An all-electric car that gets way better miles than any other 100% electric car and in luxury.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #60
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post

An all-electric car that gets way better miles than any other 100% electric car and in luxury.
Yes, because it costs more than any other all electric car on the market.
      07-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #61
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Wow, so much hate for Tesla. I mean, shouldn't we be happy that it is a domestic company which is creating loads of jobs and creating good products?

Tesla meets most driver's needs, why do you think they are so in demand even at that price? There are plenty of other choices, but somehow customers are not buying other brands as much.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #62
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Are you sure they're not saying fastest accelerating sedan? Thats way different than fastest production sedan. Honestly I've never seen any advertising saying fastest production sedan.

Hopefully you don't race a Tesla from a red light. But you're car isn't faster than any Tesla. Unless you've put on a tune to run faster than the 12 flat your car can run by a pro driver.

Tesla is doing an awesome job and every takes a jab at them. They might be going overboard with the whole P85d thing but just look at what they are pioneering. An all-electric car that gets way better miles than any other 100% electric car and in luxury.
Here ya go.....
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-p...-4-door-sedan/

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #63
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I wouldn't buy that car bc I'm a car guy not some loser who wants to be sheik. Give me a 997 turbo burnin' 93 octane vs that gay ass car any day!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #64
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
Wow, so much hate for Tesla. I mean, shouldn't we be happy that it is a domestic company which is creating loads of jobs and creating good products?

Tesla meets most driver's needs, why do you think they are so in demand even at that price? There are plenty of other choices, but somehow customers are not buying other brands as much.
Ya, I don't get the Tesla hate as well. The more people that drive fully electric cars, the more gas left for us when we want to enjoy a screaming gas powered car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #65
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Ya, I don't get the Tesla hate as well. The more people that drive fully electric cars, the more gas left for us when we want to enjoy a screaming gas powered car.
Would you give up your 135 for a tesla? Be honest...aside from selling it, banking there cash and buying another Bimmer....

Last edited by FL335; 07-15-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #66
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
Would you give up your 135 for a tesla? Be honest...aside from selling it, banking there cash and buying another Bimmer....
Nope, not a chance.
Appreciate 0