M8 AND 8 SERIES
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Death to EVO and STI

12-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #23
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
i could see how the evo is worth it... def. not the sti
Can you explain your reasoning?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #24
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Can you explain your reasoning?
I can help here.

His reasoning:

The STI looks like a riced out station wagon, but the EVO X gets you two styles for the price of one: you get a blend of Acura TL and Lexus IS350 with a free sprinkling of rice.

Come on, man, you gotta see the value in that!:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 10:10 PM   #25
Torqueless
Rep
Drives:

all the tests I've read said the evo X lost performance from the IX, while the Sti has 3 mph advantage over the IX in the slalom, improved braking, smoother shifts. Not to say the evo X didn't get some of these additions, but it fails in performance

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #26
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

not to mention the sti is about 150lbs lighter.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #27
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
There's now a disconnect in pricing and target audience for the Evo and STi, that's real car money for something that screams "I'm a dumb kid, hear my fart can exhaust".
From your blind prejudice I must assume you've never driven one. Are you trying to take over Garrett's crown?

Quote:
I don't give a rats ass how fast those things are, the base platform is a cheap Japenese economy car sedan.
Like the 135i is based a cheap German economy car... And the tii is as rice as I've ever seen...

Another marque victim...

At least the Impreza got lighter in the new version. When has BMW ever pulled that off?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #28
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
There's now a disconnect in pricing and target audience for the Evo and STi, that's real car money for something that screams "I'm a dumb kid, hear my fart can exhaust". I don't give a rats ass how fast those things are, the base platform is a cheap Japenese economy car sedan. Then tack on all manner of retarded looking spoilers, hideous hood scoops, and confused interiors with no logic or continuity to the button size or location (A particularly strong Japenese design signature BTW). If you were inclined to waste your hard earned money on rice, why wouldn't you instead buy a Lexus IS350? At least you wouldn't be shouting that you're a completely tasteless child by driving the Lexus.

Perfect examples of how a car is much, much more than its 0-60 time.

Maybe some day the Japenese will figure out a way to put ALL of a cars controls on the steering wheel, so you could have a perfectly blank dashboard. J-car steering wheels are just tacky as hell.
Oh wow, did it ever occur to you that at least some of the owners might be tracking these cars heavily, and have other things than button sizes in mind when they shop for a car? Gee. :iono:

Besides, what does it tell you that they can accomplish so much in terms of performance when the base platform is "cheap Japanese economy car"? That at least to me says that when you take away the image created by marketing campaigns and leather seats, the fundamental engineering for these economy cars are very solid even compared to cars that cost twice as much.

But obviously I have my priorities all screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #29
Torqueless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Oh wow, did it ever occur to you that at least some of the owners might be tracking these cars heavily, and have other things than button sizes in mind when they shop for a car? Gee. :iono:

Besides, what does it tell you that they can accomplish so much in terms of performance when the base platform is "cheap Japanese economy car"? That at least to me says that when you take away the image created by marketing campaigns and leather seats, the fundamental engineering for these economy cars are very solid even compared to cars that cost twice as much.

But obviously I have my priorities all screwed up.
yeah, don't get me wrong I love the 135i but it's not going to out perform the 08 sti, I'd be willing to bet on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #30
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueless View Post
yeah, don't get me wrong I love the 135i but it's not going to out perform the 08 sti, I'd be willing to bet on it.
I'd be willing to bet you're wrong. "tuning" a car is quite a bit different today because nobody is about to get up off their ass and pick up a wrench and alter the engine. Instead, "tuning" simply means getting a software update to turn up the boost on a turbocharged engine.

Do the math, the US spec Sti has 4 cylinders, 2.5 liters, and 1 turbo. The 135i has 6 cylinders, 3.0 liters and 2 turbos. Which engine do you think has more potential?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #31
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet you're wrong. "tuning" a car is quite a bit different today because nobody is about to get up off their ass and pick up a wrench and alter the engine. Instead, "tuning" simply means getting a software update to turn up the boost on a turbocharged engine.
You just described what is commonly called "stage 1" modification. To say that nobody goes beyond that is just factually wrong, especially among STI/Evo crowd.

Quote:
Do the math, the US spec Sti has 4 cylinders, 2.5 liters, and 1 turbo. The 135i has 6 cylinders, 3.0 liters and 2 turbos. Which engine do you think has more potential?
I agree, the N54 is likely to have higher potential than the EJ25 in the STI, although twin turbo doesn't really add much to the equation. But I'm guessing Torqueless was talking about stock track performance, in which case there is little doubt the both the STI/Evo are probably better suited for the track out of the box than the 135i. For one thing, the stock brembos on these cars seem to be more fade resistant than the brembo on the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #32
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
But I'm guessing Torqueless was talking about stock track performance
Ahhh, good point.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #33
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh, good point.
Interestingly, there is a fair amount of hate towards the 135i at NASIOC. (usually by n00bs, but nonetheless) This is kind of unusual, because it's usually quite a tolerant place. (well, for a car forum anway) I think it's because the 135i poses a serious threat to the STI, not in the least because of the potentially monster tunability of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #34
Torqueless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
But I'm guessing Torqueless was talking about stock track performance, in which case there is little doubt the both the STI/Evo are probably better suited for the track out of the box than the 135i.
yeah I was talking straight off the showroom floor, comparing mod for mod on these cars at this point is nothing but speculation, though I agree that the N54 more than likely has more potential I still think it will be a close race between the two.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #35
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

I would tend to believe that the 135i has more potential engine wise, while the evo and sti have a better platform for handling. The 135 will def need a LSD when the limits start being pushed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #36
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
You just described what is commonly called "stage 1" modification. To say that nobody goes beyond that is just factually wrong, especially among STI/Evo crowd.
Yeah, I have an Evo with a built engine and turbo upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #37
darknightohio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

First off I have to say both the STi and 135i will be great cars. The STi has a proven engine and gearbox with a HUGE aftermarket.

The 135i will no doubt have a great interior, great engine, great paint quality, and amazing service from their dealerships.

The 2008 Subarus still suffer from poor paint quality and paper thin sheetmetal.

When it all comes down to it looks aside, I feel the 135i will be a solid car in the long run.

The STi has great performance and track potential, but lacks in quality.

I still love my WRX. 08 STis are showing up at dealers now...I will still take a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #38
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

refering to dealerships Subaru wise you can do almost any mods as long as you let the dealer install the part. As long as its a quality piece they wont give you problems, which goes to show that they have confidence in what they are selling.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #39
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

For the life of me I cant imagine paying more for the STI then the 135i regardless of off the shelf performance, tunability. It would be a different conversation if the STI were ~2k less then the 135.

In Canada the 135 base will be ~40k. The STI base is ~50k. Imagine 50k for that thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #40
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Yeah, I have an Evo with a built engine and turbo upgrade.

well, i'm not racing this guy^^ lol :respekt:
Appreciate 0